High Blood Pressure. concerned

OP
L

leo

Young lady at 61??? Thanks!

I have bothered the @|~%#% out of Peat. He always answers. Such a good soul.

Ps. On cytomel for 5 yrs with perfect bp. Actually am taking less per Peat since temps and pulse are up.

OP
L

leo

J sorry I did not see your question. Yes I received my duo gelatin collagen from great lakes last week. I use it on everything to up my protein.
What would be too much??

mandance

I dont think you can use too much gelatin really..Some people say 3 tablespoons a day, but I know some members here use a ton of it although I do not know what the downsides of using a lot are so maybe start with 3 tablespoons a day.

J

j.

leo said:
J sorry I did not see your question. Yes I received my duo gelatin collagen from great lakes last week. I use it on everything to up my protein.
What would be too much??

For me too much is what gives me digestive discomfort or makes me feel sick of it. I take like 3 tsps.

HDD

leo said:
Also am awaiting thorne k which peat said would help.

Did he recommend how much to take? My bp has been normal this last week. I thought it might be from drinking more club soda but I also have increased my "k" some days.

OP
L

leo

He said that someone he knew lowered his bp with 45 mg of thorne k. He also told me to lower the oj since I can only get commercial now. In Jan we will have loads of fresh local oranges perfect for juicing. Now they taste like lemons and he says citric acid causes problems.

Thats great that your bp is normal! Did you drink the club soda alone?

HDD

I have been drinking it plain and after I drink some, I add the OJ. The one I have now has potassium but I think the previous one had magnesium. It takes me a few days to drink it. I just sip on it here and there.

My mother had high blood pressure also. She had a stroke after they changed her medication by adding a diuretic.

It is interesting about the orange juice and vitamin k. Did you consume a lot of green leafy vegetables before Peat?

OP
L

leo

Yes. I ate kale chard watercress and spinach. Lots of salads too.

Sorry about your mother vthat is why I dont want to go to the dr for this, but at the same time I want to get it back down to normal asap.

Will be curious to know what is working for you....the vitamin k or the soda.

BingDing

Thanks for that link, leo, I'll give it a try. I thought I was doing well with topical mag oil but there's no way of knowing. Oral mag almost always gives me the runs, though.

Well shoot, it just dawned on me that I drank decaf coffee for years before starting this. Doh. With regular coffee and mexicoke every day I am getting a lot of caffeine. I hope that is it, at 178/103 this evening I've got to do something.

Does anyone have an opinion on the safest or best BP medicine to use? I am loathe to put myself in the hands of a doc without a lot of research.

OP
L

leo

Binding how long ago did you start Peat? Do you consume a lot of orange juice? Vitamin K?

Are you puffy? Maybe an herbal diuretic? I didn't take one because I am not puffy, but after the first night on the bicarb drink, I weighed 4 lbs less the next a.m. so there was retention.

Doesn't coke have a lot of phosphorous? Something has been said about that not being so good with high bp.

I was chugging down a lot of oj at the beginning when mine went up. Yesterday I did not have any....BP was not as high as on some days, but still would like to get it down more.

Maybe the bicarbonate drink will help you....I am drinking less and no more runs. I read that the drink is a good way to get the body to absorb the mag, altho it will only end up absorbing 50%. Topical oils and epsom baths lower bp for a short while, but at least you can see some good numbers before you go to bed.

That bp is very high in my opinion and I would try getting it down at home first before going to dr as they will for sure put you on meds.

Good luck to you....I know how frustrating this can be.

HDD

"Osteoporosis, calcification of soft tissues and high blood pressure are promoted by multiple stresses, hypothyroidism, and magnesium deficiency."

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/0 ... -pressure/

----->This statement, and other magnesium deficiency symptoms I have made me think my higher bp is due to a magnesium deficiency. I also wondered if the increase in calcium from dairy creates the deficiency.

From "Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit" by Adelle Davis,

"The more calcium in a diet, the more magnesium needed. Calcium given alone can induce a magnesium deficiency."

"When magnesium is deficient, large amounts of calcium are lost in the urine even though sorely needed by the body."

"Because of the tremendous importance of magnesium, it appears that the diet of every man, woman, and child should be supplemented with this nutrient unless he is lucky enough to eat foods grown entirely on magnesium-rich soils without chemical fertilizers."

----->Ray Peat has quoted from this book, but there are things in this book that he might not agree with. So, I do not know if he would agree with the above statements. I am putting it out there for discussion.

And from Ray Peat,
"Thyroid, progesterone, protein, and salt are powerful defenses against all sorts of stress associated symptoms, including hot flashes, insomnia, cramps, PMS, edema, toxemia of pregnancy, low-birth-weight babies, epilepsy, heart diseases, hypertension, strokes, migraine, inflammatory diseases hypoglycemia, fatigue and depression. The first approach to an appropriate diet would be to use at least a quart of milk and a quart of orange juice daily, well salted chicken broth, and frequent snacks, especially salty foods.”

---->Another thing that might have contributed to my bp getting lower this past week is I took some Cascara Sagrada. The kind I have is a 450 mg capsule. This cleaned me out. Couldn't leave the house cleaning out. I won't be using that dosage again.

OP
L

leo

hagaandazdiane: That's interesting. I tend to agree. I have always felt I was low mag compared to the others. However when I wrote Peat his answer focused on the oj....the citric acid. So I ditched the oj and upped the milk. BP is not horrid, it's down in the 130's/80's now. Tomorrow I will try to reintroduce the oj and see. That will automatically lower my milk intake cause there's only so much I can drink in a day. He says one quart to one quart...interesting.

I hear ya on the cascara sagrada. With me it was the bicarbonate drink...cleaned me out too. LOL I take a tiny bit at night now and so far no problems with that dose.

If it turns out both of our problems are only low mag....with no correlation to how much pot or calcium we consume....then how do we get our levels up? Everything seems to cause runs and the topicals don't do much imo.

Anyway....I called to get labs next week. Will do an electrolyte panel and see where I am. Let me know if you find a safe dose with the cascara....I just saw it in the health food store so it's something I can get here.

HDD

"with no correlation to how much pot or calcium we consume"

LOL pot consumption helps bp, I think....

In the Adelle Davis book, she talks about ingesting Epsom salt which another forum member uses. I may try a tad of that and the MoM drink with less MoM.

OP
L

leo

Of course I meant potassium but hey, if grass works I'm willing to try. I'm a baby boomer so last time was in the 70;s!

I think I'm going to let you be my guinea pig with the epsom salts!! LOL Let me know how it goes.

BingDing

You're right, leo, fixing this myself is the real answer. I've been full Peat probably since last December but I came to it in fits and starts over several months. My BP last September averaged out to 117/76 and all my labs were fine. I was still eating oats and psyllium for fiber but not much else "wrong", so I'm sure I can get straightened out.

I hadn't heard of phosphorus and high BP before, and honestly didn't pay too much attention to phosphorus. Coke, and I ate meat and eggs regularly, are now out!

The bicarb/MoM drink is interesting, I think I am absorbing some. I've read a couple places that if mag is too depleted it inhibits intestinal absorption, a real catch 22. Maybe the topical mag oil got me up to a level where I can use oral supplements. But I've certainly learned the lesson, small dosages only, LOL.

+1, BD

OP
L

leo

Just throwing this out there to see if someone sees anything important:

Today's food intake:

coffee with a bit lowfat milk and sugar/gelatin

cottage cheese/mango

lowfat fish and homemade french fries in coconut oil
mango

parmegianno cheese with black grapes

small glass of orange juice

ice cream float (in normal coke)

cottage cheese/ripe pineapple

My bp this morning was sky high. I on purpose did not drink milk or juice in the a.m. and for most part of the day. It stayed high.

By late afternoon I decided to try a return to the oj since nothing is improving bp wise.

Still high.

Then I went for "coffee' with a girlfriend and decided I did not want coffee so instead had 2 scoops of vanilla hagaan daz in a glass of normal coke.

BP lowered but still too high for me.

Hadn't prepared anything for dinner so I ate cottage cheese again this time with pineapple and went to bed to read.

BP 120/80!!!!

Now...a million dollars to whomever can figure out what got the bp down.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Are you sure your BP monitor is accurate?

OP
L

leo

Ha!

Yes. My husband and daughter use it as well.

Crazy no?

HDD

Do you take it more than once when you do?

Mine yesterday at Walmart. 141/76, 130/74, 124/78, 124/75

It doesn't always drop this much but my first reading is always the highest.

HDD

Mittir said:
BingDing said:
I had exactly the same BP result when I started Peating, and I haven't figured it out yet. Jenn is keen on potassium, but almost everything I eat is high in potassium, I can't see low potassium as the cause. Indeed, potassium triggers the renin-angiotensin system to increase BP, as far as I can figure it out.

In an interview RP specifically mentioned high phosphorus increases BP.
In this article he mentioned that calcium deficiency causes high blood pressure.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/milk.shtml
PTH is a major factor in high BP. Low phosphorus, high calcium, vitamin D, Vitamin K,
magnesium all lowers PTH.
In KMUD Alkaline Acid interview he said that he has seen people lowering BP
by 30 points in few days of bag breathing 2-3 minutes 2-3 times a day.
Bicarbonate water should do similar thing but he seemed to prefer bag breathing over
bicarbonate. But one should be careful with bag breathing, excess bag breathing can
cause kidney stone problems. I have seen people having problem with sodium bicarbonate too.

Maybe the amount of calcium lowered PTH and carbonation from the coke?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals