Looking For A Smoking Gun On High Blood Pressure

nerfherder

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading this site for a couple of years now. It started with migraines - after some years on a low-ish carb diet I had nasty migraines. It was like having a hangover through the night and all day, with vomiting each morning. It became clear that, as a mid-late 40s guy, something in my body was broken. It felt like aging but I couldn't blame that since I wasn't old enough.

Starting a couple of years ago I put more carbs in my diet. I haden't cooked with PUFAs for a decade, but they're always there in some of the animal fats like pork and chicken. Things slowly got better but there were still phases with vomiting migraines and they never took more than a week or two off. I still wasn't very Peat-y but something felt better. My energy levels increased a fair bit and felt less like an old guy. I worked on breathing through my nose, something that hadn't happened for a decade (i.e. before any low-carbing) and things got better there. Then one day I changed my mattress and the incidence of migraines plummeted. I still got them, but at a far lower intensity. And now months later I'm getting better at eating this way and getting more and more improvement in headaches. They're pretty much gone. But that's not why I am posting.

I had a pre-booked doctor's appointment for my migraines just a couple of days after I discovered my mattress was causing a lot of trouble, and my doctor prescribed me a beta blocker (metoprolol) since it would help with the headaches and also he had a little concern about my blood pressure being in the 130s. Now since my headaches had pretty much gone I didn't bother taking the beta blocker since I'd rather fix the underlying issue than squish the symptom. I bought a blood pressure monitor to check how it goes. On first usage my home monitor scored me way higher - something like 160! Now I know enough to be aware that my monitor might be offset from what I get at the doctor's, but it did give me some feedback. I can relax my way down to the 130s and sometimes into the 120s but if I'm stressed by anything it will go up to the 140s or so.

So finally towards my question. Is there a smoking gun that points to an obvious culprit in my health?
  • My ferritin is relatively high but I started donating blood so I'm on that.
  • My hematocrit level is 51, which is high enough that I couldn't compete in the tour de france because of potential blood doping :):
  • Similarly the associated high hemoglobin count of 17.
  • But what really stood out for me was a high Free Fatty Acid count. What causes that? Is it simply eating fat?
So I've tried various vitamins and taurine/glycine and finally after listening to the Haidut/Danny Roddy podcasts it hit me that I just need to go back and get the basics right. Drink a couple of litres of milk, eat fruit, supplement with good proteins and so on. It's hard with four kids in the house but I can do it. Nothing has shifted in my blood pressure at all but I am prepared to take my time. If anyone has any clues they can offer I'm ready to listen.

Why would my FFA count be really high? Similarly for hemoglobin? Do I need to do anything to repair/recover or can I just eat sensibly and things will get better in time?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It felt like aging but I couldn't blame that since I wasn't old enough.
I'm 46 and felt the same way from low carbing and it's seems to sometimes take us middle aged and older people a bit of time to recover.
But what really stood out for me was a high Free Fatty Acid count. What causes that? Is it simply eating fat?
And stored pufa released from your tissues. Niacinamide is helpful. 50-100mg 2-3 times per day is often discussed here on the forum as a good starting dose. Aspirin if you tolerate it may also be helpful.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
  • My ferritin is relatively high but I started donating blood so I'm on that.
  • My hematocrit level is 51, which is high enough that I couldn't compete in the tour de france because of potential blood doping :)
  • Similarly the associated high hemoglobin count of 17.
I'm not sure on this beyond speculating so I will leave it for someone else to respond.

OP
nerfherder

nerfherder

Aspirin if you tolerate it may also be helpful.
Thanks Blossom.

Aspirin is something that I tried for a while and then found it just made me feel bad in the morning. I'd love to be able to take it, it seems like it has amazing properties and an enormous history of safe usage. But each time I took it at night I felt worse in the morning. I have no idea what is causing that. Maybe that's what it has to do?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks Blossom.

Aspirin is something that I tried for a while and then found it just made me feel bad in the morning. I'd love to be able to take it, it seems like it has amazing properties and an enormous history of safe usage. But each time I took it at night I felt worse in the morning. I have no idea what is causing that. Maybe that's what it has to do?

It *might* be lowering cortisol which could make you feel 'worse' until your thyroid/ metabolism improves.

Btw- Forum member @Mittir has some very informative posts on iron that could be helpful. You could search his posts if you have the time if no one chimes in on the iron. I will be glad to try to help find them but I will need a day or two.

Aspirin Decreases Cortisol And Increases Testosterone In Humans

OP
nerfherder

nerfherder

Thanks for the pointers. I will search through these - don't spend any time on that, you are already helping me by pointing me at things to go and look at.

Currently going through Ray Peat, PhD on High Blood Pressure – Functional Performance Systems (FPS) and the first thing I notice is that I should modify is my salt intake. I don't really get much and I do have an active job. Peat says:

"The first approach to an appropriate diet would be to use at least a quart of milk and a quart of orange juice daily, well salted chicken broth, and frequent snacks, especially salty foods.”

OP
nerfherder

nerfherder

This is relevant from the same article.

“The increase of adrenalin, caused by a deficiency of sodium, is one of the factors that can increase blood pressure; if the tissues’s glycogen stores are depleted, the adreoaJin [presumably adrenalin] will mobilize free fatty acids from the tissues, which tends to inhibit energy production from glucose, and to increase leakiness. "

"Around that time, several studies had shown that salt restriction increases adrenalin, and one study showed that most old people on a low sodium diet suffered from insomnia, and had unusually high adrenalin. When they ate a normal amount of salt their adrenalin was normalized,and they slept better."

So maybe low salt increases adrenalin, which messes with my sleep, leaves me stressed and pushes up my blood pressure. Well that's an easy and cheap thing to try and fix!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
So maybe low salt increases adrenalin, which messes with my sleep, leaves me stressed and pushes
Oh yes, salt is wonderful. That sounds like an excellent plan. I can't believe I forgot to mention salt but it's like air to me...

OP
nerfherder

nerfherder

So what's a reasonable range of salt intake? It should likely be on the high end of the scale because I do a fair bit of outside physical labor. And it gets hot and dry in summer.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The rule of thumb that I personally go by is that if salt tastes good then I need it. My body currently seems happiest between 3-4,000 mg but I've read on the forum that some people thrive on a bit more. Early on I often needed closer to 5-6,000 mg so your needs may change as you heal. I don't believe I've read Peat mention a precise amount for sodium intake other than to 'salt to taste' but hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals