Why I Don’t Buy Organic Food

A

Adnada

The article's saying that a lot of pro-organic arguments are pseudo-science spouted by untrained laypeople (no formal health/science schooling). Talks about "big organic" and ways marketing and labeling can be misleading. Claims GMOs are safe and conspiracy theorists are shouting "Monsanto is evil" without any reason. The author writes "I found that GMOs are the most-tested and safest foods in history!" and shares an article entitles "European Food Safety Administration says Glyphosate Likely NOT Carcinogenic"

chrismeyers

Complete and utter garbage. Sounds like they were paid off by big Ag. Ok first, organic is always non GMO, it has to be to get the USDA Organic label. Secondly whatever Organic may be as far as compromises, non organic is far far far worse. I mean all kinds of chemicals used to spray produce, GMO feed to cows, non organic products are typically loaded with Omega 6 oils. I mean the American food industry is the disgrace of the world. Every other industrialized nation has much stricter regulations as to what you can and cant use. And you want to ask if its worth it? I mean even getting HALF of all that crap is better than all of it. And truthfully, I think its far better than that

DaveFoster

Organic is better, but the price difference would not always convey a net gain. It depends on the food.

Entropy

What's wrong with GMOs?

They're safe, most the scientist say so. :cool:

Just kidding,

But if someone can point me to some good unbiased research within the available studies, as a resource for me to get into some of the 'major' findings that many people were so willing to draw conclusions of safety.

I haven't see much besides "They're safe because of these livestock health markers x y z" which are sub par to be taken seriously..

Last edited:

chrismeyers

You don't need studies. Sounds like a bold statement, but you'd infact be better off not wasting your time with studies. The simple goal is to get as close to how food was before the 20th century. Organic is as close to that as you can get. Food produced the way it used to be, no pesticides, chemicals, no new hybrid strains. Studies have been used for every purpose under the sun including literally destroying the health of everyone. They took ancient cultures with best practices developed over thousands of years, told them Saturated fat was some great evil, they radically changed the American diet within 20 years. Substituting Omega 6 oils in everything where butter and lard were before. And then to make things taste right, they modified some corn and started producing dirt cheap sugar they put in EVERYTHING. You can attribute the entirety of the average weight gains and the obesity epidemic to studies. Nobody needs a study to eat Organic.

Jayfish

All the lame excuses people make to not eat organic always leads back to one thing, money.

If you care at all about our environment you will boycott Monsanto and other chemical-agro corporations, they are doing more harm to this planet via pollution and specie's killing than any other thing besides maybe livestock deforestation. Also you should support local and ethical farms for the aforementioned reason.

Nothing else matters, people can argue all day whether gmos are safe to consume and if organic really is a healthier option but Noone with any morals can honestly say that Monsanto is a net positive on this planet.

The only thing we the people can do to stop the environmental destruction is to vote with our dollars ad that means sourcing organic foods whenever possible. Local, ethical, sustainably grown and raised is the only way to feed the planet and make sure there is still a planet for future generations.

tankasnowgod

Seemed like quite a long article to just say "Always trust the experts, and never think for yourself." Since organic farmers can use Orange Oil as a pesticide, you might as well trust the company that manufactured Agent Orange to sell you food, right?

I generally go for organic, avoid GMOs, and other questionable additives. I think Dan Wich sums it up nicely on his toxinless website in the intro to every section. I'll quote the cottage cheese intro-

"Cottage cheese can be a low-lactose, high protein snack. However, many cottage cheese brands contain questionable ingredients.For example, carrageenan, guar gum, locust bean gum, or xanthan gum are often added for thickening or consistency.

I try to avoid these thickeners because they may have questionable health effects. If you want to do the same, my recommended products are below. All the brands are carrageenan-free, guar gum-free, locust bean gum-free, and xanthan gum-free."

So while radical claims like "even a little carrageenan will kill you!" are easily disproven, that bolded line will stand up against lots of studies and pretty much any "expert" opinion.

XPlus

Way to go with that compulsive writing.
He probably gets it from "The GuideTo Create And Sell Your Ebook in 30 Days".

lvysaur

I don't buy organic food because it's organic, I buy it because higher quality food tends to be organic.

I'd rather drink the conventional normal milk than the "ultra pasteurized" organic swill you find in most stores. It smells like farts.

dbh25

Organic is better, but the price difference would not always convey a net gain. It depends on the food.
If you are constrained by price, you can always go with the Dirty Dozen list, to get an idea of the most contaminated produce-
Organic.org - The "Dirty Dozen"
I'd rather drink the conventional normal milk than the "ultra pasteurized" organic swill you find in most stores. It smells like farts.
UHT milk smells burnt to me- but I guess that's subjective.

So organic food uses pesticides..... is that actually true? I thought it didn't, that was honestly the main reason why I bought organic. I mostly buy from whole foods. I still will buy from there mostly because they tend to be more environmentally friendly and try to help animals and all that.

Peater Piper

So organic food uses pesticides..... is that actually true? I thought it didn't, that was honestly the main reason why I bought organic.
Yes, pesticides can be used on organic foods, but they have to be derived from natural sources. They may even carcinogenic, just like synthetic pesticides. I still go organic when purchasing produce that's known to be coated in pesticides, hoping to lessen the pesticide exposure. Plus there's the ethical reasons for organic, but unfortunately cost is a factor, too. When there's good local produce, though, I go with that.

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~lhom/organictext.html

raypeatclips

In regards to eggs, I had a friend that worked on a farm, and they used all their same eggs in many different boxes, budget, free range, organic etc. Not sure the extent of it or how widespread this is, however maybe something to consider or be sceptical about.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals