Keep An Eye On Your Food

J

jb116

This may not seem like a big deal but it only illustrates trends in the dogma and control of what food should be. Just last week I was reading about Singapore possibly banning partially hydrogenated oil by 2021 and of course you see discussions about it with peoples' relief that it's a good thing to do to remove "saturated type fat." Then I also kept running into ridiculous videos of unsaturated vs saturated fat and how evil the saturated fat is, as recent as 2018 videos to my dismay.

I like having Post Cocoa Pebbles with lots of good organic milk, Amish Farms or Organic Valley here on the NY east coast. This morning I opened a fresh box and I noticed it smelled odd. I look at the nutritional label and I couldn't believe they have silently removed the 1g of coconut oil they've been using for decades and it is now CANOLA. Not only is it canola but it is also a slightly higher quantity.

You know recently Peat had said, when asked "when would you consider leaving the U.S." in midst of everything going on, and he said if they start messing with my foods and milk.

I've been concerned about them messing with food for a while now. The trends of engineered "vegetarian food" and other weird concoctions. This post isn't to say that that cereal I enjoy eating is the ultimate health food but it was definitely not the worse thing, with some benefit as well. Overall my point is, it seems they are after the good stuff, even the manufactured, lesser of evil foods such as this rice cereal. The question is, is it a harbinger? Who knows. We still have terrible, misguided, misinformed videos about fats riddled on YouBoob.

Food control, wear a mask, stand a certain distance, take this vaccine, don't eat sugar, don't eat saturated fat, follow this ideology, so on and so forth...

opson123

I saw this happen to many of my favorite childhood foods as I grew up. Of course I didn't care about health then, but I hated the fact it affected their taste so much. Every "new and improved recipe" was to bring down the production cost with lower quality and cheaper ingredients. One of my favorite slogans on the product packages nowadays is "now with organic sunflower/canola oil!".

OP
J

jb116

I saw this happen to many of my favorite childhood foods as I grew up. Of course I didn't care about health then, but I hated the fact it affected their taste so much. Every "new and improved recipe" was to bring down the production cost with shittier and shitter and cheaper ingredients. One of my favorite slogans on the product packages nowadays is "now with organic sunflower/canola oil!".
Yes! You see that proud logo all the time! They probably don't even truly know why they are doing it other then having their pulse on the food trends. Slap it on a box with pretty colors, exclamation point, and excitement and it just looks good.

OP
J

jb116

I almost forgot to include they have also added a known carcinogen BHT, how nice :):

OP
J

jb116

Capture 1.PNG
Cocoa Pebbles Ingredients WalMart.PNG

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I was eating Glutino brand gluten free pretzels until they changed the recipe replacing palm oil with canola oil. As the post title reminds us, if you buy any processed food it is necessary to read the ingredient label every time.

wavelength123

I don't even know what those "foods" are. Just eat real stuff that existed before Big Ag started transforming everything

Lejeboca

Good call, @jb116 and @Dolomite ! The product(s) that I always have to read labels for is ice cream, every time I buy. Now, I will do more label reading for my other "usual" products.

meatbag

Good catch. Everything pre packaged seems to be becoming even worse than before; polysorbate in breads, gums and caragennen in every icecream, BHT in all the chocolate. Kinda suspicious that even the stuff labeled as palm oil is blended frankly.

O well, its good for the economy I guess. The food production companies save money, big agra makes more, and then more medical bills from all the ***t

Last edited:

Lollipop2

Good catch. Everything pre packaged seems to be becoming even worse than before; polysorbate in breads, gums and caragennen in every icecream, BHT in all the chocolate. Kinda suspicious that even the stuff labeled as palm oil is blended frankly. I read yesterday that olive oil in the US can be sold with up to 90% other oils added.

O well, its good for the economy I guess. The food production companies save money, big agra makes more, and then more medical bills from all the ***t
+ 1 This is why I make all my food from scratch. It took a while to learn and get organized, but now I control every single ingredient. I only use one processed item: tomatillo salsa which I use in my enchiladas and tacos. Otherwise, everything else is by my hand.

edit: I forgot that I buy local organic corn tortillas - lol, but corn and lime are the only ingredients. Even my husband now wants me to make my own. Who knows? Maybe soon :):

Last edited:

Gone Peating

Good catch. Everything pre packaged seems to be becoming even worse than before; polysorbate in breads, gums and caragennen in every icecream, BHT in all the chocolate. Kinda suspicious that even the stuff labeled as palm oil is blended frankly. I read yesterday that olive oil in the US can be sold with up to 90% other oils added.

That’s a bold claim can you provide the source?

meatbag

+ 1 This is why I make all my food from scratch. It took a while to learn and get organized, but now I control every single ingredient. I only use one processed item: tomatillo salsa which I use in my enchiladas and tacos. Otherwise, everything else is by my hand.

edit: I forgot that I buy local organic corn tortillas - lol, but corn and lime are the only ingredients. Even my husband now wants me to make my own. Who know? Maybe soon :):
sounds delicious, yeah I found those at the store recently as well - really good

Runenight201

When I think about where I draw my line access to quality food will be where I make a stand. That being said I think America has ample avenues to get whatever high quality food someone may want should they make the effort.

I personally wouldn’t be too worried about the 1g per serving change up from coconut oil to canola oil. In that type of dish the carbohydrate content of the cereal and the milk itself drastically overshadow any effects the coconut oil/canola oil would have. But it would be nice if it was coconut instead of a PUFA oil. You could look around to see if there are any other cereals that use coconut oil instead of canola oil. I know that fruity pebbles used hydrogenated coconut oil. I’m not sure if they still do as I stopped eating breakfast cereal as a staple about 6+ months ago.

D

danishispsychic

Cocoa Pebbles are toys , not food. :) Fun but not food.

gaze

for me, its if they require omega 3 in milk along with vitamin A and D. Already nearly half the brands of milk at the store include epa and dha, so the trend is getting worse.

meatbag

for me, its if they require omega 3 in milk along with vitamin A and D. Already nearly half the brands of milk at the store include epa and dha, so the trend is getting worse.
yeah, they do this at costco now. I think Peat had mentioned it's basically just a way to profit off of waste, like putting sawdust in bread haha

Diokine

I'm worried about the safety of Blue Bunny Vanilla Bean. It's one of the only inexpensive ice cream options left, and it's so radically different from all the others that I like to imagine it's made in a special factory, probably by elves. But the elf union is dissolving and they are training trolls - can't end well.

Amazoniac

Not only be wary about changes in ingredients, but also their quality. It's safer for companies to degrade their products without having to modify the label because consumers won't protest unless it's terrible. There are opportunists using hardship to justify unethical practices.

Vileplume

I was so shocked to see that Costco was adding fish oil to their organic milk, and proudly boasting it on the cover of the box—added DHA and EPA! Fish oil in milk? Gross