SIBO: The Garlic Cure - Experiences?

Frankdee20

Well, have you ever seen someone crunch on a whole garlic bulb in under a minute?
I did.

He was fine after that, thank you.

Well, I wasn’t arguing if it kills people on the spot, but thanks for ruling it out

smith

Hopefully the garlic spares my life. But if this is the end, then I'll see you all in peat paradise.

SOMO

Garlic is a broad antibiotic, not just antibacterial.

It also damages mucous membranes slightly, so too much garlic could introduce endotoxin into your bloodstream - the sulfur-compounds in garlic damaging mucous membranes and then the dead bacteria entering the bloodstream.

Note, this isn't an issue with cooked garlic. But cooked garlic is also less effective of an antimicrobial than raw garlic.

That being said, garlic (but not onion) is an effective anti-SIBO food.

burtlancast

EIRE24

Raw garlic initially cured my depression (just one large clove a day with a nut - it burns the ***t out of my mouth otherwise! ) but after a few days I started to feel agitated and paranoid.

It also cured my early awakening. It definitely ***** with me - I had guessed it was straining my kidneys somehow but I'm unsure. Continued use would have lead to me breaking up with my girlfriend probably - genuinely odd psychological effects. I felt better physiologically but mind ****88.

It absolutely works for colds, for me though.

Candida uses up taurine and is only going to thrive in a weak immune system and low stomach acid environment.
My current approach is to use taurine to help magnesium into the cell and recover immune function through diet and exercise.

Restoration of fat soluble and intracellular magnesium (which wiol eventually allow calcium levels to restore) should allow the body to find its own equilibrium. Seems to be the way long term successful people have done it.

I think the manual killing approach may not be the best. The overgrowth is partly helping with undigested food and unbound copper/iron. I have seen people have luck with it though. If you use garlic I would definitely not use it every day.

Note: In times I've had good magnesium status full torso sun has been the most effective thing. I think sun is necessary to be able to stop using taurine, though maybe not.

The **** portion control guy could stop taurine after sun for 7 days or so.
You are saying that taurine is bad to take if you think you have candida or it is good?

OP
Prosper

Prosper

Update: I have been taking 2 gloves of garlic after the last 4 meals now. I feel constipated, but hardly anything else seems to be happening within the gut. Mentally I feel sluggish and spaced out. Tongue is still white.

sunraiser

You are saying that taurine is bad to take if you think you have candida or it is good?

I'm saying a healthy person shouldn't need to take taurine, but it may be temporarily useful for reasons both known and unknown.

@Prosper try taking one clove on an empty stomach and see how you feel. Eat with peanut butter or any nut, just one or two in the case it burns your mouth. Chewing will help release the allicin.

Anything fatty should do. Again, I don't recommend beyond a brief stint but that significantly cleared my white tongue, though only temporarily and not totally.

SOMO

Update: I have been taking 2 gloves of garlic after the last 4 meals now. I feel constipated, but hardly anything else seems to be happening within the gut. Mentally I feel sluggish and spaced out. Tongue is still white.

Rinse with pure menthol or mint-essential oil and/or salt.

OP
Prosper

Prosper

Rinse with pure menthol or mint-essential oil and/or salt.
Why? To clean tongue? I'm looking to eliminate the cause, not to apply a daily band-aid. It's unlikely that the consequences of bacterial overgrowth are purely aesthetic, as the tongue is a good marker of intestinal health.

burtlancast

Just in case people here don't know it, garlic's anti infectious compounds derive from the creation of allicin.

Without allicin, no germ/virus/protozoair/yeast (candida) gets killed.

Allicin is only created when the bulb gets crushed, which liberates the enzyme alliinase to transform alliin into allicin: it takes usually 10 min for the reaction to complete totally.

One should use a garlic crusher to crush the garlic, then let it stand 10 min on a table, then mix to it honey, water, or whatever he likes, then swallow it.

When people cook garlic with food, the heat destroys the alliinase enzyme, and no allicin gets created.

Frankdee20

That’s why I donts ***** wit gaaar lick ! Spaced out, discoordinated, sluggish. But it’s okay because Travis said so

OP
Prosper

Prosper

One should use a garlic crusher to crush the garlic, then let it stand 10 min on a table, then mix to it honey, water, or whatever he likes, then swallow it.
Wouldn't it work just as well by crushing the garlic straight into a glass of water and stirring a bit?

burtlancast

Wouldn't it work just as well by crushing the garlic straight into a glass of water and stirring a bit?

You would be diluting both the enzyme and the substance it's about to transform: that would make the process much slower i guess.

And we don't know how soluble in water these 2 substances are.

Why take chances?

OP
Prosper

Prosper

You would be diluting both the enzyme and the substance it's about to transform: that would make the process much slower i guess.

Perhaps by allowing the enzymes mingle in a small amount of fluid, more allinase might get to interact with allinin. By letting the crushed garlic sit on a table, allicin would only form in the sites where the cells of the glove had been breached. It thus also seems that the finer a paste the glove is turned to, the more potent it will become.

Not that any of this has huge significance either way, ha. The reason I asked was because up to this point I had crushed the gloves straight into water, as suggested in the Gut Critters site. I'll try your way next.

And we don't know how soluble in water these 2 substances are.

The resulting allicin is apparently fat soluble.

burtlancast

The reason I asked was because up to this point I had crushed the gloves straight into water, as suggested in the Gut Critters site.

Seems alliin is soluble OK in water, but alliinase not so much.

Ouch.

smith

hemoglobin.jpg

The color of red blood cells changes to black when mixed with allicin.

But thank Grod because:

A study in which participants consumed a large amount of allicin (approximately 90,000mcg) via crushed raw garlic (25 grams; roughly 10 cloves) revealed that neither allicin nor 16 of its daughter compounds could be detected in blood or urine from one to twenty-four hours after consumption. Due to its high reactivity, allicin was shown to be completely metabolized in the liver. If allicin could even make it to the blood where it could be delivered throughout the body, studies have shown that it changes into other compounds within five minutes and may oxidize the blood cells, in the process, causing them to lose their ability to carry oxygen.

“Allicin is not biologically active inside of the body”
Yukihiro Kodera, at the Designer Foods III Symposium: Research Update on Phytochemicals in Garlic, Soy and Licorice held in May, 1994 in Washington, D.C. found the following:

“Under simulated digestive conditions, little allicin was released from a garlic powder which contained both alliin and alliinase. When allicin was mixed with blood, it disappeared very rapidly, and the formation of trace amounts of allylmercaptan and diallyl disulfide were observed. Allicin also converted the hemoglobin in red blood cells to methemoglobin. Furthermore, allicin has been shown to disappear upon contact with the liver; no allicin could be detected in the effluent when allicin was perfused into an isolated liver.”

“Though allicin was considered to be a key compound in garlic in the past, recent scientific findings, including the pharmacokinetics and metabolism of organosulfur compounds in garlic, have revealed that allicin is not biologically active inside of the body…”

Allicin has not been conclusively proven to be responsible for garlic’s known health benefits.

Following are some conclusions drawn about allicin from garlic scientists at the “First World Congress on the Health Significance of Garlic and Garlic Constituents” held in August 1990 in Washington, D.C.:

Contrary to the popular myth that a garlic product must contain allicin to be beneficial, allicin has not been conclusively proven to be responsible for garlic’s known health benefits. Most of the garlic or garlic products that have been based to demonstrate garlic health effects do not contain significant amounts of allicin. (Allicin is an odorous and transient garlic compound.)
About Allicin

Oh by the way, I didn't die.

Last edited:

burtlancast

hemoglobin.jpg

The color of red blood cells changes to black when mixed with allicin.

But thank Grod because:

A study in which participants consumed a large amount of allicin (approximately 90,000mcg) via crushed raw garlic (25 grams; roughly 10 cloves) revealed that neither allicin nor 16 of its daughter compounds could be detected in blood or urine from one to twenty-four hours after consumption. Due to its high reactivity, allicin was shown to be completely metabolized in the liver. If allicin could even make it to the blood where it could be delivered throughout the body, studies have shown that it changes into other compounds within five minutes and may oxidize the blood cells, in the process, causing them to lose their ability to carry oxygen.

“Allicin is not biologically active inside of the body”
Yukihiro Kodera, at the Designer Foods III Symposium: Research Update on Phytochemicals in Garlic, Soy and Licorice held in May, 1994 in Washington, D.C. found the following:

“Under simulated digestive conditions, little allicin was released from a garlic powder which contained both alliin and alliinase. When allicin was mixed with blood, it disappeared very rapidly, and the formation of trace amounts of allylmercaptan and diallyl disulfide were observed. Allicin also converted the hemoglobin in red blood cells to methemoglobin. Furthermore, allicin has been shown to disappear upon contact with the liver; no allicin could be detected in the effluent when allicin was perfused into an isolated liver.”

“Though allicin was considered to be a key compound in garlic in the past, recent scientific findings, including the pharmacokinetics and metabolism of organosulfur compounds in garlic, have revealed that allicin is not biologically active inside of the body…”

Allicin has not been conclusively proven to be responsible for garlic’s known health benefits.

Following are some conclusions drawn about allicin from garlic scientists at the “First World Congress on the Health Significance of Garlic and Garlic Constituents” held in August 1990 in Washington, D.C.:

Contrary to the popular myth that a garlic product must contain allicin to be beneficial, allicin has not been conclusively proven to be responsible for garlic’s known health benefits. Most of the garlic or garlic products that have been based to demonstrate garlic health effects do not contain significant amounts of allicin. (Allicin is an odorous and transient garlic compound.)
About Allicin

Oh by the way, I didn't die.

All this content comes from the vendors of KYOLIC, an aged garlic extract developped in Japan. The same country Mr Yukihiro Kodera originates from.

Mr Kodera concluded in his 1997 article that " allicin is not biologically active inside of the body...".

The actual complete sentence reads: "...and the release of allicin from garlic preparation containing alliin and alliinase is very questionable, as alliinase is inactivated under digestive conditions."

The truth is these people are commercializing a product totally void of allicin, and in order to successfully sell their product, they're going to fund research to enable them to selectively pick and advertise the claim allicin has no known recognized health effects.

From their website:
Question: Does Kyolic contain allicin?

No. Because of its irritating and pungent nature, we have aged our garlic to convert allicin into more stable, odorless and beneficial compounds. Collectively, more than 200 compounds have been discovered in garlic. Many of them are odorless and have demonstrated benefits. Most cultures consume garlic either cooked or aged. These forms possess no allicin and yet have demonstrated benefits for centuries. Allicin doesn’t appear to be necessary and more than 100 studies have confirmed the benefits and safety of our Aged Garlic Extract preparations which are free of allicin.

Their statement "Allicin has not been conclusively proven to be responsible for garlic’s known health benefits" is contrary to facts.

Preventing the common cold with a garlic supplement: a double-blind, placebo-controlled survey. - PubMed - NCBI

" Among the viruses sensitive to garlic extracts are the human cytomegalovirus, human rhinovirus type 2, herpes simplex types 1 and 2, and influenza B. Evidence points toward allicin and its condensation product ajoene as the main components in garlic responsible for this antiviral activity.

Increasing evidence has shown that certain forms of supplement may have significant beneficial properties, provided that the universally recognized active constituent (allicin) is made available to the body.

Recently, an allicin-containing supplement (Allimax® Liquid and Capsules*) has demonstrated efficacy against herpes simplex type 1 and molluscum contagiosum infections.5

This 2001 survey was designed to determine whether a unique garlic supplement that contains only stabilized allicin could prevent colds in healthy volunteers.

The supplement chosen for study is the only product that claims to contain allicin as a starting material.

One hundred forty-six volunteers were randomized to receive a placebo or an
allicin-containing garlic supplement, one capsule daily, over a 12-week period
between November and February. They used a five-point scale to assess their
health and recorded any common cold infections and symptoms in a daily diary. The active-treatment group had significantly fewer colds than the placebo group (24 vs 65, P<.001). The placebo group, in contrast, recorded significantly more days challenged virally (366 vs 111, P<.005) and a significantly longer duration of symptoms (5.01 vs 1.52 days, P<.001). Consequently, volunteers in the active group were less likely to get a cold and recovered faster if infected. Volunteers taking placebo were much more likely to get more than one cold over the treatment period. An allicin-containing supplement can prevent attack by the common cold virus."

Attachments

• Preventing the common cold with a garlic supplement a double-blind, placebo-controlled survey.pdf
    55.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

smith

Looks like this isn't longecity. Thanks.

Blend it. Fresh garlic juice is extremely painful on an empty stomach which might be a sign it's working

Last edited:

tara

Thus, foods containing garlic
should not be fed to dogs.
I think it's well known to dog experts that garlic is poisonous to dogs. As is chocolate. Lots of dog lovers eat garlic and chocolate; they just don't share.
Toasted bread + butter fried garlic + cilantro or parsley. Delicious. Good way to make an experiment.
Very delicious, but no good experiment. Fried garlic has a different effect to raw garlic.
I'd expect effects to take a day or two at least. Personally, I'd suggest starting small - a couple of cloves the first day or two till you see what happens. You can always increase after that if it doesn't bother you too much.

Anything wrong with the old salad dressing? A bit of apple cider vinegar, olive oil, crushed garlic, salt, whatever other herbs - goes well with carrot salad or fresh tomatoes and cucumber etc.