Rinsing Ground Beef To Get Rid Of The Fat?

Dutchie

Hello everyone,

At my local supermarket regular ground beef is now on sale for really cheap. It's common commercial grainfed meat,so non-organic and has some ascorbic acid added to it,but the organic meat is too expensive for me to buy regularly and I seem to need meat on a fairly regular basis,also bc it's an easy high protein source.

Anyway,it contains quite some fat,it said 15grams per 100gram. I dont seem to do so well with (anima)l fats lately,so I was wondering if I heat my wokpan and than crumble&cook the ground meat,when done put it in a collander so the fat can drip out and rinse it beneath the tap to pour out some more fat. Does that actually work to get out most of the fat?
Also....I imagine with the fat,you drain a good amount of nutrients,proteins and possibly toxins/hormones etc.? Is the meat still nutritional and high in proteins after rinsing?

That same sale contains a huge amount of (skinless) chickenbreast for cheap,but also from commercial grain/cornfed? chickens.
Another high easy proteinsource that would be nice to stock up on,for making nice dishes with sugary sauces/marinades.:)
So some PUFAS,and the bad kind O-6 I assume,but not comparible to nuts and veggie oils.
Anyway,there are still some white parts on the meat,which I assume is the fat.....so if I would cut those parts out,would they virtually be fat/PUFA-free? ....and what about possible toxins/hormones etc.?

(I always heard most animals store their toxins in their fat,except for pigs,so that would mean that if you would get rid of most of the fat you'd be eliminating most of the toxins as well?)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Have you read Peat's article on Meat physiology, stress and degenerative physiology posted on the forum? That might help you make a well informed decision.

tara

I know someone who reduces fat in mince by boiling it in water, and then lifting the fat off the top. He adds veges and spices after removing fat. I would expect this would remove a good bit of fat but not all of it, probably remove some of the fat-soluble vitamins, to remove very little protein, and very little of the water-soluble B vitamins.
If you are going to fry and then rinse in water, it will have to be hot water, or the fat will just congeal and stick to the meat. I expect you'd get rid of some, but less than the method above.
If it were me, I'd go with what tastes better, or which method best suits the recipe you are making.
Either way, it's be good to get some gelatine in too.
I agree with Blossom about reading Peat's recent article on meat.

BingDing

Well, the protein is pretty important, and the beef is a lot better than tofu or peanut butter. I always drain the fat from ground beef, just because I don't like the way it gloms up in the fridge if I don't. But I've never washed it. The PUFA from the feedlot soy and/or corn would be mostly removed by draining it, I think I would use it for a small part of my protein if I needed it and didn't have any better choice.

If you have problems with histamines in food it might not be too good, though. Most beef is aged before you buy it and the biogenic amines like histamine can get pretty high. The amines then get oxidized to aldehydes, but a healthy liver can cope with small amounts.

I'm not sure just what happened, but the idea of eating chicken has gotten very foreign to me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals