Why Cook Mushrooms?

CreakyJoints

The vitamin D thing is quite interesting, I was unaware of that! Thank you for sharing.

I don't actually know if this is entirely relevant or even a correct assumption to make; but in some culinary traditions (such as in Korea), Shiitake mushrooms are dried first, sometimes in the sun, before being stored and later re-hydrated overnight for cooking. It was my understanding this was a way to deal with parasites, but it might be worth considering if someone is concerned with adulterants in general. Since soaking rice for many hours is a good method to divest it of certain pesticides and antinutrients, I would presume this could also apply to mushrooms, and that potentially one could reap the most benefits from preparing them this way. Shiitake mushrooms already have very low phytase content anyway. One might also consider adding a bit of sodium bicarbonate, too!

I'm personally a bit more dubious about white button mushrooms in general, because a number of mycologists have raised concerns about them before. I'm sorry, I don't have any links, but I know a few mushroom farmers who stay away from them and Portobello mushrooms - they might furnish me with some articles or talks if I asked, but it could be a while before I have anything to show here.

Ray Peat mentioned it that mushrooms can make vitamin D.

That is so interesting! I saw this extra bit too!

Attachments

• 20210420_103628.jpg
    20210420_103628.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 42

Velve921

They keep me up at night too, with stomach cramping. Strangely I can eat mushrooms fine just throwing them in something or lightly sauteeing in butter, but cooking them the "Peat" way for 45 minutes or longer is brutal on my liver. I don't know why it happens, but I am avoiding them until I figure it out.
Thanks for your feedback. Keep us posted.

nad

They keep me up at night too, with stomach cramping. Strangely I can eat mushrooms fine just throwing them in something or lightly sauteeing in butter, but cooking them the "Peat" way for 45 minutes or longer is brutal on my liver. I don't know why it happens, but I am avoiding them until I figure it out.
Probably overcooked proteins?

RealNeat

I cooked them as instructed Ray Peat. I now dump the water instead of letting it evaporate out, like others do, and have no further issues now.
Could it be the large amount of copper that’s left in the water? Or even glutamate? Dumping the water unfortunately loses the copper which is the main reason I want to eat Shiitake.

Could it be the large amount of copper that’s left in the water? Or even glutamate? Dumping the water unfortunately loses the copper which is the main reason I want to eat Shiitake.
I have no idea, but I had a bunch of sautéed crimini and white mushroom sautéed in butter with shiitakes and garlic last night and I was fine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals