Why Cook Mushrooms?

Lenny

Hi,

Can somebody please explain why ray advises to cook white buttom muschrooms well? What happenes to them and why are they healthier than raw or short cooked (10 min) muschrooms? Thanks you!

Dr. Peat mentioned this recently in an interview. He said 45 minutes is minimum cooking time. I think it is not just hydrazine but over all digestibility.

I sauté the shrooms first to get rid of the volatile hydrazine but he never mentioned this step.

mujuro

Dr. Peat mentioned this recently in an interview. He said 45 minutes is minimum cooking time. I think it is not just hydrazine but over all digestibility.

I sauté the shrooms first to get rid of the volatile hydrazine but he never mentioned this step.

It has a BP of 113C and is miscible in water, so if you cooked the mushrooms down til all the water is gone, then add a 1/4 cup water and cook that off for good measure, surely the hydrazine would mostly be gone. Maybe we should be pressure cooking or oven roasting them...

i use a pressure cooker to cook generally. Sautee for 10 minutes, then add water and pressure cook for 45 minutes.

NathanK

i use a pressure cooker to cook generally. Sautee for 10 minutes, then add water and pressure cook for 45 minutes.
Nice! I was wondering about this. I've become a big pressure cooker fan this year. Do you dump the water and blend them to make a soup or mush after?

Nice! I was wondering about this. I've become a big pressure cooker fan this year. Do you dump the water and blend them to make a soup or mush after?

I grind first, then sauté them with the cooker open, then add some water, close up and bring to pressure and cook for 45 minutes at pressure.

NathanK

I grind first, then sauté them with the cooker open, then add some water, close up and bring to pressure and cook for 45 minutes at pressure.
thanks. So you just eat it like that. Aren't you worried about the toxic compounds leaking into the water and staying there? I've seen people say that it needs to evaporate, but it sounds like you think the heat, or cooking, will just neutralize or kill the toxic stuff

45 minutes should be enough time to completely rid the mushrooms of any pleasant or distinct flavour they might have, and render them into a kind of fungal mush. Better to avoid such concoctions altogether if you value taste in any way.

45 minutes should be enough time to completely rid the mushrooms of any pleasant or distinct flavour they might have, and render them into a kind of fungal mush. Better to avoid such concoctions altogether if you value taste in any way.

it tastes good. Dr. Peat recommended 45 minutes.

Velve921

Anybody find that you get a similar reaction from raw carrot? I find that if I have mushrooms in the evening it can keep me up at night. Can anyone else related?

Anybody find that you get a similar reaction from raw carrot? I find that if I have mushrooms in the evening it can keep me up at night. Can anyone else related?
They keep me up at night too, with stomach cramping. Strangely I can eat mushrooms fine just throwing them in something or lightly sauteeing in butter, but cooking them the "Peat" way for 45 minutes or longer is brutal on my liver. I don't know why it happens, but I am avoiding them until I figure it out.

reaching

I will boil them softly like now raging boil for an hour or so and then blend them to make a soup. I use the soup in various ways through out the week. I assume there is no benefit to eating it this way I just like it. I will ask out the mushrooms in the sun for a couple hours to increase the vitamin D content, although I am sure cooking them as long as I do probably destroys it.

but it’s great you can make pasta, mix with rice, add cream, add beef add anything and just eat. Great with sour dough and olive oil too.

Giraffe

Can somebody please explain why ray advises to cook white buttom muschrooms well?

Ray Peat has said that mushrooms contain substances that are toxic to the liver, and heat destroys them.

I will boil them softly like now raging boil for an hour or so and then blend them to make a soup. I use the soup in various ways through out the week. I assume there is no benefit to eating it this way I just like it. I will ask out the mushrooms in the sun for a couple hours to increase the vitamin D content, although I am sure cooking them as long as I do probably destroys it.

but it’s great you can make pasta, mix with rice, add cream, add beef add anything and just eat. Great with sour dough and olive oil too.
I have never heard that putting mushrooms in the sun increases their vitamin D?

Giraffe

I have never heard that putting mushrooms in the sun increases their vitamin D?

Ray Peat mentioned it that mushrooms can make vitamin D.

reaching

I heard it from Peat and Atom Bergstrom.
There is some study somewhere showing if you put them out for like a couple hours it increases their vitamin D. I think shiitake were the ones that did it the most.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals