How Long Do You Cook Rice?

Hgreen56

I can't find any topic about cooking white rice so this is probably the first one.
So Ray advice's is to cook potatoes for at least a hour.
So i wondering if it makes sense to treat rice in this way as well?

How long do you cook the rice normally?
and if they feel a difference between short and long cooking time?

edit: i realize now that maybe the most rice eaters use electric rice cookers, so than you have probably no much choice about setting a cooking time... hmm :think:
(I have no electric rice cooker so i have no clue how such thing works.)

M

metabolizm

I rinse some of the starch off first, and then boil for 10 minutes. Overcooked rice is disgusting.

Korven

I rinse some of the starch off first, and then boil for 10 minutes. Overcooked rice is disgusting.

+1

Waterlogged mushy rice isn't very appetizing and digests worse for me. I boil my rice like pasta in lots of water (to reduce arsenic) for 10-12 minutes and that works quite well.

Without a rice cooker, the easiest way I know is the modified Asian method.

For every cup of white rice, add two cups of water. Place lid on pot and bring to a boil. Once boil is reached, simmer flame (the lower the better). Turn off flame after all water is absorbed or evaporated but before the bottom burns. Ideally let the rice sit in it's residual steam with lid on until it has cooled to edible temperature.

Precise amount of time will vary depending on type of white rice, volume of food prepared, material and thickness of pot, size of flame, whether or not water is boiled before adding, etc.

nomoreketones

You can overcook it with too much water and turn it into porridge. Then you can melt unflavored jello into it to make it kind of soup like. The more you cook it, the softer and mushier it will become. I do white basmatti rice for 30 minutes to make rice porridge.

Yody

I make 180 grams with ~17oz water, and usually add lemon juice. Once boiling turn it down to lowish, add rice, cover, simmer and stir for ~17 minutes. The lemon juice seems to play a part in ridding the gooey stuff during straining.

Apple

"Diet, rice and vegetables, rarely meat. Rice is eaten in great excess. People pass large stools, as a lot of rice is ejected. Presumably nitrogen and salts are used up and starch excreted." - H. E. Rawlence, Srueagai, Kashmir, India.

The passing of quantities of undigested rice is doubtless due to the fact that the rice is imperfectly cooked, a custom very common in rice-eating countries, and perhaps a wholesome one. The Scotch highlander eats his oatmeal less than half cooked and is wonderfully sturdy. Some undigested starch in the feces prevents putrefaction.

schultz

I set the pressure cooker to 3 minutes then when it's finished in let it sit on low for about 9 minutes.

So 3 minutes cooking, 9 minutes on low.

The rice to water ratio depends on the type of rice of course, but in the pressure cooker you need slightly less moisture as non of it evaporates.

When I used to eat rice, my favorite consistency was slightly al dente, although I usually cooked it longer, due to possible persorption issues.

CreakyJoints

where is he saying this?

He's mentioned soaking rice a few times in various interviews I've heard, but here's one.

Q: if we wanted to use rice to gain weight, how could we prepare rice?

RP: If it hasn’t been either roasted or irradiated, if it’s still alive, you can just soak it for a few hours, it gets softer and less starchy and more nutritious, the enzymes that are breaking down the toxic stuff , are releasing nutrients but also synthetizing new forms of proteins, the storage forms of proteins are almost always irritating, or allergenic, or toxic, but as the enzymes process them, they turn into living enzymes and structural proteins just like the plants.

Amazoniac

- Safety and pH Measurements of Sushi Rice in Japanese Restaurants in Burnaby BC, Canada

"Sushi, which li'r'ly [??] means ‘seasoned rice’, is a type of Japanese cuisine consisting of acidified rice combined with various toppings and fillings, usually raw fish or other ingredients (Bargen, 2011)."

"Health concerns of eating sushi have been recognized since many people are aware of the risk of raw fish consumption. However, public awareness of risks associated with sushi rice is low. Sushi rice is generally kept at room temperature or in warm holding unit in most sushi restaurants as sushi is supposed to be served warm (about 30°C) for the ideal taste. The control measure to keep the sushi rice safe at room temperature is the addition of a vinegar solution to reduce its pH to inhibit growth of harmful bacteria."

"Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) or Public Health Inspectors (PHIs) have difficulty ensuring safety of sushi rice because each sushi chef uses his/her own recipe with differing amounts of the vinegar solution, and a pH test of sushi rice is rarely performed during inspections."

"There are two main types of sushi sold in Burnaby: nigiri sushi and maki sushi (Figure 1). Literally translated, nigiri means “hand-pressed”. Nigiri sushi is small, oval shaped acidified rice with a firmly placed topping, such as slices of raw fish or other ingredients. Maki sushi is a cylindrical shaped roll consisting of acidified rice and fillings such as seafood, meat, and vegetables (Bargen, 2011)."

"There are two types of factors that affect microbial growth on potentially hazardous food: intrinsic and extrinsic factors. Intrinsic factors include water activity (Aw), oxygen availability, acidity (pH), available nutrients, and presence and identity of natural microbial flora. Extrinsic factors include temperature, relative humidity, atmosphere composition and packaging (Forsythe, 2010). The factors which can be controlled to limit microbial growth in sushi rice include acidity (pH), water activity (Aw) and temperature."

"Temperature is one of the most important factors in safe food handling practices. Temperature values for microbial growth have a range with an optimum temperature for maximal growth. The temperature range between 4°C and 60°C (40°F and 140°F) is the Danger Zone where most bacteria grow (FoodSafe, 2006). If the temperature is greater than 60°C, most bacteria die. If the temperature is colder than 4°C, the bacteria stay alive but do not multiply rapidly. Storing sushi rice at room temperature for extended hours is clearly temperature abuse unless other factors such as pH are controlled to inhibit microbial growth."

"The pH range for a microorganism, like the temperature range, has a minimum and a maximum value with an optimum pH. Generally, the optimum pH of most bacteria is 6.8-7.2, and they cannot survive at pH 4.6 or lower. The pH range of plain white rice is 6.0-6.7 which falls into the range of the optimum pH of most bacteria (Forsythe, 2010)."

"Most microorganisms are killed during the rice cooking process. However, handling cooked rice is more important than the cooking process because cooked rice provides a good environment for pathogen growth. The primary pathogens of concern associated with cooked rice are Bacillus cereus and Staphylococcus aureus. In addition, sushi rice can be easily cross-contaminated by other pathogenic bacteria as well because sushi rice is always handled with sushi chef’s bare hands that touch raw fish and other ingredients at the same time."

"Rice can be easily contaminated by B. cereus during growth, harvesting, processing and handling (Haque and Russell, 2005). The spores of B. cereus survive during boiling and frying [:thumbsup:] rice and germinate when the environment is favorable for growth (Gilbert et al, 1974)."

"Rice is acidified by adding a vinegar solution to reduce its pH enough to inhibit microbial growth, especially B. cereus and S. aureus. The acetic acid in vinegar lowers the pH of the rice and acts as a bacterial inhibitor (Wilson, 2001). Acidified sushi rice is known to be safe at room temperature for up to 8 hours (University of Florida, 2004)."

"Sushi rice is commonly made of white rice. Brown rice is not typically acidified due to the harder surface coating on the rice which limits penetration of acid solutions. Due to this reason, the cooked brown sushi rice must be stored under refrigeration at 4°C or below to reduce the chance of foodborne illness (University of Florida, 2004)."

"Table 1 refers to the pH values of sushi rice samples collected from 30 different Japanese restaurants in Burnaby."

"A common method carried out by EHOs/PHIs to ensure the safety of sushi rice is to educate operators to discard temperature-abused sushi rice after 2 hours since it has been made. Generally, potentially hazardous food is considered safe if it is consumed in 2 hours because it does not allow sufficient time for the pathogenic growth that causes foodborne illness."

"It is important to note that other ingredients of sushi affect the overall pH of the finished sushi. Even with a low pH of sushi rice, other ingredients may increase the total pH of the sushi products. For example, the ingredients of a California roll, such as avocado, cucumber and imitation crab meat, have a pH greater than acidified sushi rice (US FDA, 2008), increasing overall pH. This indicates that sushi products – maki and nigiri – are potentially hazardous food once made, and therefore should not be stored at room temperature."

"A mandatory pH testing from an accredited laboratory is recommended as part of a food safety plan to ensure the safety of sushi rice. Operators also need to monitor the pH of the sushi rice on a regular basis in order to reduce the health risk associated with inadequately acidified sushi rice. pH monitoring devices, such as pH test strips and a digital pH meter, should be available on-site."

"Acidified white rice with a pH less than 4.6 is not considered a potentially hazardous food, thus can be stored at room temperature for extended hours. Acidification should take place as soon as the rice is cooked (BCCDC, 2010)."

"The study results show that sushi rice being consumed by the public in Burnaby, BC is generally safe with the pH below 4.6 and therefore has a low public health concern. However, due to lack of other control measures and the nature of B. cereus which may grow in a low pH environment, it is recommended that pH of sushi rice is 4.3 or lower."

- Effect of Vinegar Concentration on Food Safety and Quality Characteristics of Rice with Vinegar

"Preparation of vinegar for sushi
Apple Vinegar (Ottogi, Seoul, Korea) has moderate acidity (acetic acid content 6-7%), double strength (acetic acid content 13-14%), triple strength (acetic acid content 18- 19%) were used respectively. Sushi vinegar (normal acidity, double acidity, triple acidity) was used by mixing vinegar, sugar, and salt in a 3:2:1 ratio.

Production of sushi
For sushi rice, 1 kg of rice was washed 3 times with tap water, immersed in water for 12 min, and sieved through a sieve for 10 min to allow excess water to be absorbed into the rice grains as the water drained out. Then, water was added to make it 1 times the weight of dry rice, and it was cooked in an electric rice cooker. The control group was rice with no added vinegar, and for sushi, add 10% of the rice amount and mix well with a spatula so that the seasoning was evenly distributed on the rice, and then aged for 5 minutes before use in the experiment.

Measurement of the number of general bacteria
The general bacterial count was tested by modifying the Choi and Hahn method[30]). 10 g of sushi according to the storage time was placed in a sterilized stomacher bag, and 90 mL of sterilized physiological saline was added to the stomacher (Model 400, Seaward, London, England), homogenized for 2 minutes (260 rpm), and used as a sample stock solution. Then, the sample stock solution was diluted 10-fold step by step (serial dilution) and inoculated on plate count agar (Difco, Detroit, MI, USA) medium by the spread plate method. After inoculation, the cells were incubated at 37°C for 48 hours, and the number of colonies was counted and expressed as the total number of bacteria (CFU/mL). The total number of bacteria was also measured using a 3M™ Petrifilm™ Aerobic Count Plate (3M, Seoul, Korea). 1 mL of the sample supernatant was dispensed on petrifilm, pressed using a petrifilm plate, and incubated at 37°C for 48 hours to count the colonies formed."

1634342887908.png

Amazoniac

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals