Where To Measure Your Temp, Best Type Of Thermometer?

Discussion in 'Monitoring Vitals' started by Kenobi, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

I want to buy a thermometer to start measuring my temperature so I have some kind of idea as to how certain foods and supplements effect my metabolism. What type of thermometer is best, and where is the best place to measure the temp?

2. BingDing

BingDing Member

I could never conclude that one type is so much better than another type that it matters. I use a $10 Vicks brand (oral) that works quickly. There have been times I used it 6 or 8 times a day, quick is good.

For an oral thermometer, there is a small pocket under the tongue beside the last molar that is supposed to be the best place to put the thermometer. A google search will turn up long discussions about it all.

3. aquaman

aquaman Member

as above. Just get one from CVS for $5 (assuming you're in US).

4. DKayJoe

DKayJoe Member

Hi all, thanks for reading.

I know this probably seems like a very basic and obvious question but where should I be taking my temperature from? Oral or under the armpit? I plan to taking 2 reading from either my mouth or under-arm and my hands each day.

Thanks again.

5. Mittir

Mittir Member

RP recommends oral or ear drum temperature. Armpit temperature can be unreliable
    depending on fat accumulation. It may take hour to get the right temp is there is a lot
    of fat around armpit. He also recommends checking temperature of
    finger, toes and tip of the nose. I vaguely remember that he probably said something
    about one having normal oral temp but low extremity temp.