Continuous Body Temperature Monitoring

shepherdgirl

I wd like to become more aware of the body's state when temperature falls below a certain level - how this feels in the body, so that i can learn to eat enough to maintain a higher base temp and metabolic rate. i have already learned something about oxidative stress from taking my temp and heart rate upon waking, but i want to see how my temp changes throughout the day and to be notified when temp is starting to drop.
Also I don't like to take my temp because i have to be still for 10mins for an accurate reading. I tend to get lazy or impatient about takimg it.
It would be great to hear about anyone's experiences with using a temperature monitor - did it help you with keeping temps up, etc?

Philomath

Waiting to buy the tempdrop monitor. It just began shipping and has back order. Looks like the best temp monitor on the market.

OP
S

shepherdgirl

Waiting to buy the tempdrop monitor. It just began shipping and has back order. Looks like the best temp monitor on the market.
Thank you for this! I have been unable to find anything that looked reliable, but hadn't seen this one. It kind of amazes me that they seem to be the hot new thing - would have expected fertility and fever monitors to be big by now. Would be interested in your impressions if you do end up trying it.

artlange

I got a Vicks baby thermometer. works great. I calibrated it against a gallium geratherm thermometer and found it reads 0.3F high. I subtract 0.3F to get a more accurate reading. your's might calibrate differently. It takes a measurement in 8 seconds. it is much easier to make body temp measurements with a calibrated electronic thermometer.

OP
S

shepherdgirl

@ artlange - i agree electronic thermometers are convenient. But I have tried two different ones (actually I think one was a Vicks), and for me the reading after 15 sec can be way off from the 10 minute reading of the same electronic thermometer. i guess taking only 15 sec readings could result in a "skin temp" reading that could be used to estimate core temp though.

artlange

the vicks is an oral, not skin. mine required the tip to not start in the mouth. after it is out of the mouth, then a button press starts the measurement cycle. then after the button press, the display shows the last temperature and then in a second or so it will read "Lo" then it is put into mouth and in several seconds it beeps and the measurement is done. if it is put into mouth too soon after the button is pressed it would not always work properly and sometimes display incorrect readings. When doing a Richfield temp reset in a warm car, the only way I could get it to work was to put the thermometer outside through a crack in the window. when standing in a hot shower, it willl not work properly if it is held in the hot water stream when the button is pressed.

Once I learned the "trick" of making sure the tip is colder than my mouth to start, it works OK, every time.

I often do an arm pit measurement and usually get the same answer, if I held my arm close to my chest, and put the vicks in the deepest oart of the armpit.

OP
S

shepherdgirl

@artlange oh, you are taking an oral temp - I wd think it would be much faster. Maybe I should consider it. I especially appreciate your sharing your "trick" for it to work. Also, I didn't know that you could not use an oral thermometer under the arm - maybe that's my problem. All the same i am interested in a continuous monitor that would alert me when my temp drops while sleeping.

artlange

I didn't know that you could not use an oral thermometer under the arm
the vicks is an oral, not skin.

perhaps I mis-spoke regarding skin. It does also work well on the skin in the pit, if you make sure the pit is at body temp by holding your arm against your chest for a minute or two before you put the thermometer in the deepest part of the pit. It works well oral, under tongue. but be careful after hot coffee because it may take a few minutes for the heat from the coffee to wear off. It will also work in another orifice, but that is a bit inconvenient.

OP
S

shepherdgirl

It will also work in another orifice, but that is a bit inconvenient.
Yea, will stick with armpit/oral for now lol. Your method sounds a lot better than sitting there for 10 mins. Will give it a try, thanks!

Davinci

Curious if you have purchased it? Would also like to hear your impressions of it. Do you wear it all the time or just when sleeping?

Philomath

Curious if you have purchased it? Would also like to hear your impressions of it. Do you wear it all the time or just when sleeping?
I have not purchased it yet. Still considering...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals