Can't seem to get body temp right

macaroot

I've been following the works of Ray Peat for awhile now. Well over a year. I have implemented nearly all of his dietary suggestions. But I am still having problems with low body temp and a general feeling of malaise.

It's funny how body temperature works. Whenever I feel good, my body temperature is normal. Whenever I feel bad, it's low. It's actually quite fascinating.

However, with that said, I woke up today with a 96.1 temp. Felt nauseous, anxious, just overall unwell. This seems to be commonplace in the mornings for me. Later in the day, my temp comes up a bit. Still not what it should be though. I usually top out at 97.9 on a good day. The only time I ever see 98's is when I am outside for awhile in 90 degree heat. But that's external so I don't really count it.

Anyway, I have tried the carrot salad thing,
I have experimented with mass quantities of milk and OJ. Have done the ice cream thing,'coconut oil upwards of 5-6 TBSP a day. You name it. A lot of fluid tends to make me even colder, so I got away from that. OJ gives me heartburn too.

I know you aren't medical professionals, but has anyone else just been totally unable to raise their Body temp to normal? This has been a lifelong thing for me. Not like it's a new condition. I had low body temp even as a child. I was born sickly. Now I see the link though. I'm on the right path. Just need something to click.

Daimyo

Hi macaroot,

have you done some blood test for thyroid hormones level? If not, you should consider that and/or buy some NDT or Cytomel...

OP
M

macaroot

I have, yes. Levels were on the low end of normal, which was annoying to me. I wanted them to be low so I would get a prescription. But they were somehow "normal".

Mittir

macaroot said:
I have, yes. Levels were on the low end of normal, which was annoying to me. I wanted them to be low so I would get a prescription. But they were somehow "normal".

It would be more helpful if you can post the numbers of your thyroid tests.
Doctors have been changing the normal scale of TSH for last 20 years.
Because they made a huge error in their first scale. They are reluctant to
admit their mistake and slowly lowering normal TSH level while tons of people
suffering.

Age and PUFA storage are very important indicator of metabolism.
It is easier to maintain good temperature if your PUFA intake is very low
and stored PUFA is significantly depleted. It takes about 4 years for average
person to completely change stored fatty acid ratio by diet alone.
You can feel a lot better after 2 pears of PUFA avoidance.
I try to limit daily PUFA intake below 4 grams.

You probably are drinking more fluid than you can handle.
Your early morning symptoms suggests high stress hormones
resulting from low glycogen storage and possibly endotoxin
production from poorly digested foods. RP recommends that we
mostly eat easily digested food after sunset as our digestive system
slows down in darkness. Eating raw carrot salad or cooked bamboo
shoots in the late after noon and eating mostly carb and fat with small
amount of protein after sunset. If storing glycogen is a problem then
eating small amount of sugar ( fruit juice, lactose in milk, honey, table sugar etc)
every hour till bedtime can be helpful. I can not tolerate OJ, but i do fine
with good quality apple juice with baking soda added. Acid in juices can be
problematic. Niacinamide, 50-100 mg twice a day can improve glycogen storage.
It is very important to have foods that are not allergenic or irritating to gut.
Endotoxin and serotonin from gut lowers metabolism , temperature and thyroid function,

If carrot or cooked bamboo shoots does not help then you can try
small amount (30-50 mg) of tetracycline for few days to see how it feels.
You can try home made greek yogurt, farmer's cheese to replace some of your
milk intake. 200-400 watts of incandescent light can help evaporating excess liquid.
You can use chicken neck soup or fish head soup for natural thyroid.
I found these very helpful. Weekly liver is very beneficial.

Zachs

What's your diet like now? What's your life like in terms of stress, how's your job? What's the weather like where you live?

Without knowing any specifics my main reccomendations to anyone trying to improve metabolism would be to..

Cut out pufa almost completely except a bit from animal products like eggs, shellfish.

Lose fat if overweight. Vlf diet works well for this and also ridding pufa from tissues.

Eat at least 100g protein a day, get a good amount of saturated fat and at least 300g sugar a day, preferably much more 5-600.

Supplement with red light, co2, zinc, magnesium, glycine, lysine, and b vitamins.

Get good sleep and lots of sun light, fresh air, movement and grounding.

OP
M

macaroot

Thanks for the reply and recommendations, guys.

My diet right now is basically peat recommended fruit, shrimp, oysters, eggs, occasional beef, occasional gelatin, Haagen Dazs ice cream from time to time (1-2 times a week at most), I have experimented on and off with coffee. I think I do better without it. Seems to make me more cold. I do best with whole milk, so I drink that. I do raw carrot, try to daily. I don't do bamboo shoots so I'll try that. Orange juice tears up my stomach so I avoid it. Table Sugar tends to give me anxiety, so u mainly stick with the sugar I get from fruit and the juices. I occasionally have some dark chocolate also. But I find that chocolate tends to exacerbate anxiety symptoms.

So there it is in a nutshell. Any feedback or suggestions would be great. I don't have my lab results handy. I'm not sure I kept them around. I moved fairly recently and that paper could be anywhere.

tara

:welcome macaroot

In addition to the good ideas above, I wonder whether you would get going better in the morning with a really hot shower to warm you up? It would be nice if we could all keep warm from within, but failing that maintaining temps at a good level by external means can be helpful for energy in the meantime.

I'm curious about how much you are eating (and maybe gender, age), if you feel like sharing.

Some of us use cronometer or similar to estimate nutrient intake - if you wat to, you could log a typical day's food, and see if you are low in anything (but it's recommendations for PUFA are likely high, and calories low).

Zachs

I would guess that you are not getting enough calories based on your post. What quantities of food are you eating?

Tarmander

Such_Saturation said:
http://www.fixlowbodytemp.com/

SS have you tried that guys method? I just read his mini book, it is fascinating, I have never seen anything like that.

tara

I have not tried the temp reset as in that link book, though I read about it and it looks interesting to me.
I would make sure you are well nourished first - check that you are getting enough calories, protein, micronutrients, before trying to force metabolism up by other means.

answersfound

Tarmander said:
Such_Saturation said:

SS have you tried that guys method? I just read his mini book, it is fascinating, I have never seen anything like that.

Fascinating? More like retarded. Yea I'm gonna go sit in a sauna with a winter jacket on.

tara

lookingforanswers said:
Tarmander said:
Such_Saturation said:

Fascinating? More like retarded. Yea I'm gonna go sit in a sauna with a winter jacket on.

No need to insult. No one is suggesting you do it.

Apparently it worked for him, and a few other people. I looks like quite an effort, but when health is bad enough, quite a bit of effort may be warranted. It seems like a potentially helpful way to reset the thermostat.

@macaroot: I would give other things a good go first - nutrition, check thyroid labs and maybe supplement cautiously if warranted, before considering that temp reset method.

If you are considering the temp reset, I would recommend checking that his criteria apply to you (eg, whether your temps are stuck in the specific ranges he specifies) before trying it, contacting him directly for advice, and following his safely instructions closely.

It works. Here's my armpit temperature during brain training over four weeks.

X5FJ6Ia.png

x2KwTbw.jpg

Zachs

An online friend of mine tried his approach with horrible results. It forced her temps even lower and she felt scarily horrible.

Zachs said:
An online friend of mine tried his approach with horrible results. It forced her temps even lower and she felt scarily horrible.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to get into the details, but that sounds off. One does not -let- their temperatures go down, even if they try to. That's the whole point.

Zachs

Such_Saturation said:
Zachs said:

I'm not knowledgeable enough to get into the details, but that sounds off. One does not -let- their temperatures go down, even if they try to. That's the whole point.

Her body counteracted her forced attempts at raising body temperature and forced it real low. And yes she spent all day wrapped in layers or taking hot baths or under the covers with hot pads and whatnot. It sounded like hell personally. So much easier to raise metabolic rate with diet and lifestyle. Eventually she figured it out by eliminating starch and eating more sat fat and taking progest e and a few other things.

Zachs said:
Such_Saturation said:
Zachs said:

Her body counteracted her forced attempts at raising body temperature and forced it real low. And yes she spent all day wrapped in layers or taking hot baths or under the covers with hot pads and whatnot. It sounded like hell personally. So much easier to raise metabolic rate with diet and lifestyle. Eventually she figured it out by eliminating starch and eating more sat fat and taking progest e and a few other things.

Did she take the thyroid dose?

Giraffe

Such_Saturation said:
It works. Here's my armpit temperature during brain training over four weeks.
Such_, did you feel better after having accomplished this training?

Armpit temperatures of 36,4 °C and higher (mean 37,1 °C) are quite optimal, aren't they? I wait for my oral temperature to hit 37 ... sigh!! ... Were your temps lower before taking up the training?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals