Is Temp. And Pulse Still The Best Way To Gauge Thyroid?

bodacious

It seems to me that having a higher basal temperature, is indicative of a higher metabolism. I'm confused because of my GP's sheer dismissal of the suggestion though.

Background:
I've been tracking my pulse rate and temps for weeks.

RHR is never over 60 (average is about 50) and my temperature is never really over 36.5*C (97.7*F).

I explained this to my GP. She measured my temp at 36.4*c (97.52*F) and she said: "There you go, your temperature is completely normal".

I also posted an article a few weeks ago about oral temperature not always being reliable.

I haven't had a chance to read Broda Barnes's work yet, but I believe he's very much in favour of oral temperature readings.

marteagal

Taken from "Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness" by Barnes & Galton, 1976. I think it was page 47 or 48.

"The basal temperature can be taken by a man on any given day. Not so for a woman. During the menstrual years, temperature fluctuates during the cycle, as every woman knows. It is highest shortly before the start of the menstrual flow and lowest at the time of ovulation. During a woman's menstrual years, then the temperature curve is such that basal temperature is best measured on the second and third days of the period after flow starts. Before the menarche or after the menopause, the basal temperature may be taken on any day.

When no other reason can be found, no clear-cut diagnosis made, to explain the presence of a symptom or a whole complex of symptoms, it is worthwhile taking a thermometer to bed with you. Shake it down well and place it on the night stand. Immediately upon awakening in the morning, place the thermometer snugly in the armpit for ten minutes by the clock. A reading below the normal range of 97.8 to 98.2 strongly suggests low thyroid function. If the reading is above the normal range, one must be suspicious of some infection or an overactive thyroid gland.
"

aquaman

All of the Ray Peat style/bioenergetic practitioners that I have heard of like Josh Rubin, Matt Stone, the KMUD presenters, Biochem Nordic etc use food logs and body temp and pulse as the foundation of their work with their clients.

Also, From the email advice depository quoting Ray:

"They are interesting, but usually free T3 and TSH are the most important ones. Judging by symptoms, temperature, and pulse rate is really the basic thing."

Ray Peat Email Advice Depository | Page 9 | Ray Peat Forum