This Cant Be Right, Right?

connorj123

I stopped using this digital thermometer I got on Amazon because of how bad it was. Giving me a different reading every time and seemed really inaccurate. Also had some problems getting it working at first so it may of been faulty. So I decided to buy a glass thermometer (mercury free) and its arrived today. I've just taken my temperature at 18:46 and I cant get any higher than 97.16 at this time of day! Yet my body feels very warm and I thought I would get 98.6F. The lowest I've had is 96.8. Is it really possible to feel physically really hot but get such a low reading, or is there something wrong with this thermometer? If it is accurate I cant imagine what my waking temps will be. Yet I thought my temps were always good, because I feel warm, right. I just thought the thermometer would reflect how you feel.

lampofred

In my experience the glass/non-electrical ones are usually pretty accurate. High cortisol/low GABA tends to make me feel warm while actual temps are low.

The one I use also takes a while to get to the correct temperature. At least 4-5 minutes under my tongue.

mrchibbs

I stopped using this digital thermometer I got on Amazon because of how bad it was. Giving me a different reading every time and seemed really inaccurate. Also had some problems getting it working at first so it may of been faulty. So I decided to buy a glass thermometer (mercury free) and its arrived today. I've just taken my temperature at 18:46 and I cant get any higher than 97.16 at this time of day! Yet my body feels very warm and I thought I would get 98.6F. The lowest I've had is 96.8. Is it really possible to feel physically really hot but get such a low reading, or is there something wrong with this thermometer? If it is accurate I cant imagine what my waking temps will be. Yet I thought my temps were always good, because I feel warm, right. I just thought the thermometer would reflect how you feel.

Well, no. You can think you feel good, but objectively you're not close to an optimal temperature.

I bought a digital thermometer on amazon and it has been pretty good, been using it for a few years.
Maybe yours is messed up, but typically they don't lie.

Lejeboca

The temperature may have up to a degree F difference depending on whether you measure it in the armpit, mouth, ear, or rectal. See here, e.g., Underarm Temperature: How to Measure It and What’s Typical? .

OP
C

connorj123

In my experience the glass/non-electrical ones are usually pretty accurate. High cortisol/low GABA tends to make me feel warm while actual temps are low.

The readings are not what I expected at
Well, no. You can think you feel good, but objectively you're not close to an optimal temperature.

I bought a digital thermometer on amazon and it has been pretty good, been using it for a few years.

I just too
The temperature may have up to a degree F difference depending on whether you measure it in the armpit, mouth, ear, or rectal. See here, e.g., Underarm Temperature: How to Measure It and What’s Typical? .

I am having to do under arm temperature because I have chronic sinus problems which can give a false reading apparently

OP
C

connorj123

Sorry was typing on phone. Dont know what happened regarding the first two messages in my above reply

OP
C

connorj123

Yeah I think my digital thermometer was way off, which I wasn't expecting since I paid a bit extra for it. Sometimes I would take my temp and it would say "HI" indicating a fever, then get a different result taking it the exact same way again.

Just done another reading with my glass thermometer and I have got the exact same reading again, under arm temp reading 97.16F for 5 mins or so

Lejeboca

I am having to do under arm temperature because I have chronic sinus problems which can give a false reading apparently

I think anything above 36C (96.8F) is considered not low and you may feel warm for this temp. Underarm you may need to hold the thermometer longer to get the good reading.

OP
C

connorj123

I think anything above 36C (96.8F) is considered not low and you may feel warm for this temp. Underarm you may need to hold the thermometer longer to get the good reading.

Yeah I did the under arm for 5-10 mins and got same result. I did my sinus reading anyways and it came back 0,2 Celsius lower.

According to Broda Barnes anything below 97.8 is low if I remember correctly right ? I think 97.8 - 98.6 is healthy

mrchibbs

Underarm temperatures will be always be lower than oral.

I personally use oral temperatures always, first thing in the morning.