What nutrients are lacking in an average man‘s diet?

gaze

the western diet is a problem of excess rather than deficiency. excess pufas, excess tryptophan, methionine, cystine, excess phosphate, excess dry starch causing persorption, excess fish oil, excess vitamin supplements and fortified foods, excess iron. you don't get to 3-400 pounds by being deficient in something, it's from overeating by thousands of calories on pufas+starches+meats. no amounts of calcium or vitamins can help that situation without vast dietary changes or cut backs

the western diet is a problem of excess rather than deficiency. excess pufas, excess tryptophan, methionine, cystine, excess phosphate, excess dry starch causing persorption, excess fish oil, excess vitamin supplements and fortified foods, excess iron. you don't get to 3-400 pounds by being deficient in something, it's from overeating by thousands of calories on pufas+starches+meats. no amounts of calcium or vitamins can help that situation without vast dietary changes or cut backs
More wise words!

Perry Staltic

I think grains are the worst for optimal health. Don't get me wrong, I think well chosen starches can have a purpose in health, but not in the amounts or the quality our American diets partake in.

IMO the problems with grains in the standard American diet are not grains themselves, but the facts that they have had most of their nutrients refined out of them and many are contaminated with glyphosate. Whole organic grains can remedy those two problems.

IMO the problems with grains in the standard American diet are not grains themselves, but the facts that they have had most of their nutrients refined out of them and many are contaminated with glyphosate. Whole organic grains can remedy those two problems.
Whole grains, as Ray Peat says, has that toxic seed cover which inflames the intestinal track, and we don't have the animal stomachs to break down the rest of it. He reccomends white bread, which sounds crazy, but knowing all grains are anti-nutrient, leaving us with even less nutrients in ourselves than before we ate it, the white bread makes sense. We are then only left with a piece of white bread, just something to build something better with, and grains leaves our minerals alone. The best we can do, if we decide to partake in grains, is what they did 100 years ago and drink our milk. Those ravenous grains have a lesser chance of of rotting our teeth and attack our brain (Alzheimers) and joints (pain) if calcium comes to rescue, to throw itself on that delicious devil, so we can do it again! Oh my yeastless, toasted and buttery sourdough how I do love thee! ?

OP
M

Motif

Whole grains, as Ray Peat says, has that toxic seed cover which inflames the intestinal track, and we don't have the animal stomachs to break down the rest of it. He reccomends white bread, which sounds crazy, but knowing all grains are anti-nutrient, leaving us with even less nutrients in ourselves than before we ate it, the white bread makes sense. We are then only left with a piece of white bread, just something to build something better with, and grains leaves our minerals alone. The best we can do, if we decide to partake in grains, is what they did 100 years ago and drink our milk. Those ravenous grains have a lesser chance of of rotting our teeth and attack our brain (Alzheimers) and joints (pain) if calcium comes to rescue, to throw itself on that delicious devil, so we can do it again! Oh my yeastless, toasted and buttery sourdough how I do love thee! ?
White bread, really? That’s interesting.
White bread was the only bread I liked back in the days.

White bread, really? That’s interesting.
White bread was the only bread I liked back in the days.
I know! It is crazy that our childhood instinct to hate whole wheat and love that white bread and lots of sugar were right! I will look up his paper on it and post.....

Perry Staltic

That "toxic" grain cover feeds bacteria that produce butyrate which is the primary food source for colonocytes lining the gut. The net effect is anti-inflammatory.

IMO anyone who recommends white bread is crazy. Talk about anti-nutrient.

That "toxic" grain cover feeds bacteria that produce butyrate which is the primary food source for colonocytes lining the gut. The net effect is anti-inflammatory.

IMO anyone who recommends white bread is crazy. Talk about anti-nutrient.
I didn't say he recommended itn cause he doesn't recommend any grains. He said that white bread is the lesser evil to whole grain. He said masa is the safest, next oats and rice are equal then white bread and everything else gets worse from there. You aren't arguing with me you are arguing Ray Peat.

Potassium, magnesium, vitamin D, vitamin K and thiamine are the ones that come to mind.

Perry Staltic

I didn't say he recommended itn cause he doesn't recommend any grains. He said that white bread is the lesser evil to whole grain. He said masa is the safest, next oats and rice are equal then white bread and everything else gets worse from there. You aren't arguing with me you are arguing Ray Peat.

How much worse? And does it empirically matter or is it purely a theoretical concern? Also, do masa, oats and rice provide the same nutrients that other grains provide. I doubt it. There might be some anti-nutrients involved, but there also might be beneficial nutrients involved that outweigh potential negatives.

I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm merely having an explorative discussion and stating my opinions. If my opinion doesn't agree with Pete's opinion, who cares. He's not God.

Simplistic IMO. Doesn't take into consideration gut bacteria that produce butyrate from their fermentation of fiber and resistant starch. Nor the ones that produce bacteriocins, vitamins and digestive enzymes.
He doesn't think resistant starch is a good thing, and trust me I have read all about resistant starch and subscribed to it. I miss my Boulder coconut oil potato chips and reheated mashed potatoes. Those were the easy "Good Old Days". He says yes resistant starch feeds good bacteria, but it also feeds the bad ones. So you want refined grains, which are broken down enough to extract the proteins from them before they get to bottom and create a mess. I see what he is saying now, that if you don't want trouble eat easy to digest things, like a baby, refined grains, well cooked fruits and veggies, strained orange juice, no berries (because of their toxic seeds also), boiled oxtails etc. It is so contrary to everything I have caringly preached to friends, loved ones and the inquisitive overhearers (if that is even a word). Though I eat my words, I still cannot eat white bread in good conscience. Though if I had to choose I will trust Peat and eat the white bread instead of the whole wheat, and while I am throwing all care to the wind, I will add a good spread of Jiff peanut butter and some Knott's raspberry jelly, seedless of course ?

He doesn't think resistant starch is a good thing, and trust me I have read all about resistant starch and subscribed to it. I miss my Boulder coconut oil potato chips and reheated mashed potatoes. Those were the easy "Good Old Days". He says yes resistant starch feeds good bacteria, but it also feeds the bad ones. So you want refined grains, which are broken down enough to extract the proteins from them before they get to bottom and create a mess. I see what he is saying now, that if you don't want trouble eat easy to digest things, like a baby, refined grains, well cooked fruits and veggies, strained orange juice, no berries (because of their toxic seeds also), boiled oxtails etc. It is so contrary to everything I have caringly preached to friends, loved ones and the inquisitive overhearers (if that is even a word). Though I eat my words, I still cannot eat white bread in good conscience. Though if I had to choose I will trust Peat and eat the white bread instead of the whole wheat, and while I am throwing all care to the wind, I will add a good spread of Jiff peanut butter and some Knott's raspberry jelly, seedless of course ?

Attachments

• 20210422_174045.jpg
    20210422_174045.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 18

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210422-175439_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210422-175439_Samsung Internet.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20210422-175313_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210422-175313_Samsung Internet.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210422_175551.jpg
    20210422_175551.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 24
How much worse? And does it empirically matter or is it purely a theoretical concern? Also, do masa, oats and rice provide the same nutrients that other grains provide. I doubt it. There might be some anti-nutrients involved, but there also might be beneficial nutrients involved that outweigh potential negatives.

I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm merely having an explorative discussion and stating my opinions. If my opinion doesn't agree with Pete's opinion, who cares. He's not God.
Oh gosh Perry Staltic I didn't see your previous post! Ray Peat does say that grains CAN have some nutrition benefits if they are sprouted, which sheds that toxic outer coating and opens up the seed, making more of a plant with much nutrients.

Oh gosh Perry Staltic I didn't see your previous post! Ray Peat does say that grains CAN have some nutrition benefits if they are sprouted, which sheds that toxic outer coating and opens up the seed, making more of a plant with much nutrients.
....and again pair grains with calcium to minimize damage. I have grains as a splurge, but choose the sprouted flours to make cookies and cakes, have yeastless sourdough, which has half the gluten eaten up by the starter, Italian semolina/durum noodles and i do use the heirloom Jovial all-purpose flour. Heirloom anything has more benefits than our altered modern grains, produce and evenblivestock! , At the end of the day it is still wheat, and for me, still just a splurge. I just cannot get myself to use modern wheat, so I get those nutrients you speak of elsewhere...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals