LeBron James doesn't know what a carbohydrate is:

A

Anonymous

"I had no sugars, no dairy, I had no carbs," the four-time NBA MVP told SI. "All I ate was meat, fish, veggies and fruit. That's it. For 67 straight days."

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-bod ... z3HBkjbZSf

This is what most people think. When people think of "carbs" they think bread, pasta, cookies, cake and crackers. More than half the calories in these foods come from fat, not carbs. That's because those foods are always cooked and doused in oil (fat), or almost always eaten with fat like cheese or meats.

Hey LeBron, veggies and fruit are carbs too. In fact, all plant foods with the exception of fatty plant foods like nuts, seeds, avocado, cocoa, olives, and coconut, are all carbohydrates. Starches like potatoes, rice, corn, and grains, are the most dense carbs, while fruits, and fruit juice are second in density. All other plant foods like greens and other veggies are carbs too, they are just mostly fiber and little energy, but they have nutrients. The only animal carbs are lactose from mammal milk, and honey. Oh, and I guess Chitin counts as an animal carb too:

Chitin is found in the exoskeletons of arthropods such as crustaceans (e.g., crabs, lobsters and shrimps) and insects, the radulae of molluscs, and the beaks and internal shells of cephalopods, including squid and octopuses.

6 foot, 5 inches, 50 year old, Asian Vegan California bro dudes response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYl2rv9sIdI

YuraCZ

For example bodybuilders don't count carbs from vegetable (spinach, broccoli, asparagus, onions, cucumbers etc..) Even in hardcore diet when they go under 4% body fat they ate tons of vegetable to fill out stomach. Athletes in general don't count vegetables besides rice, potatoes etc. as a carb source. Vegetables like broccoli, spinach, celery etc. has almost negative amount of energy. It means that you burn more calories for digestion process than you get from those veggies.. :roll:

pboy

it literally did look like he ran out of carbs, lol...but cant blame him considering circumstances...and Gatorade sucks

OP
A

Anonymous

I think he just drinks water. Maybe he should try Mexican cokes.

jyb

No idea who he is but he probably just meant "not much" carbs as opposed to zero carbs. What does not much mean? Basically, it wouldn't result in a large post-meal blood glucose spike and would therefore be manageable with perhaps many diabetic people without a need to inject insulin to avoid long lasting hyperglycaemia. There is a threshold of excess glucose toxicity that some people with insulin problem aim for, and the carbs from veggies & meat can be used to stay under that threshold.

OP
A

Anonymous

jyb said:
No idea who he is but he probably just meant "not much" carbs as opposed to zero carbs. What does not much mean? Basically, it wouldn't result in a large post-meal blood glucose spike and would therefore be manageable with perhaps many diabetic people without a need to inject insulin to avoid long lasting hyperglycaemia. There is a threshold of excess glucose toxicity that some people with insulin problem aim for, and the carbs from veggies & meat can be used to stay under that threshold.

jyb said:

Lebron James is one of the best basketball players in the world, if not the best. He is in incredible physical shape (or so it seems), but his mind is his probably his worst enemy. He has a lot of pressure both from the media as well as from himself, to be considered one of the greatest players to ever play. In basketball, greatness is defined by how many championships you have won. Lebron James is now 2-4 in the NBA Finals Championship. I think the underlying issue with Lebron is that he wants it so bad he pushes it farther away. He doesn't seem to enjoy basketball, but rather, he plays with a very stern, serious demeanor with a sole focus on the end goal. I think reading the book, "The Alchemist," would serve him well. On top of this battle in between his ears, he is known to eat a very high protein, low carbohydrate diet, as the OP mentioned. So as we can all imagine, being an athlete, and avoiding carbohydrates and eating all that unbalanced protein is incredibly taxing on the body. He is beginning to develop learned helplessness. He said he'd rather not even make the playoffs if he knew he was going to lose in the finals. No one is immune to suffering. Lebron James is human.

4peatssake

Such_Saturation said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTgbPxsiypk
I'd say Bobby Fischer, the chess champ, had the best pre-game meal, 'cept for the bread.

jyb, I laughed out loud when you said you didn't know who LeBron James was. Reminded me of the time I wondered why all the women at the hair salon I was at were all talking about Jessica Simpson. I thought they were talking about Bart's sister. ;)

:rolling

The poor guy probably doesn't even like rice and vegetables...

SQu

"jyb, I laughed out loud when you said you didn't know who LeBron James was."
I didn't either. Might be a quick way to tell who is not American around here!

YuraCZ

sueq said:
"jyb, I laughed out loud when you said you didn't know who LeBron James was."
I didn't either. Might be a quick way to tell who is not American around here!
lol I'm not american. I don't know nothing about basketball, but I know who is LeBron James.. So I think " Might be a quick way to tell who is total ignorant around here" is correct.. :lol:

sugar daddy

I've never heard of him, basketball is a very USA centric sport.

I'm not sure many Americans have heard of Mahela Jayawardene.

sugar daddy

I thought Landon Donovans fruit meal was the only one I'd eat but with litre of milk!

What's with all the chicken :(

How I would re-word this now, 8 months later:

This is what most people think. When people think of "carbs" they think bread, pasta, cookies, cakes, crusty pies, pastries, donuts, muffins, pancakes, waffles, noodles, and crackers. There are three problems with calling those foods "carbs." Firstly, all of those foods (besides pasta and noodles, which are just flour by themselves) are made with lots of fat, in the form of vegetable oils, margarine, or butter, so to call them "carbs" is a misnomer. People call pizza and ice cream "carbs" when in reality pizza and ice cream have more calories coming from fat than they do carbs. Not only does pizza have plenty of cheese on it, the dough is made with vegetable oil. A cannoli and ice cream have hundreds more calories coming from their cream content than from their starch/sugar content. Secondly, besides being baked/cooked with oils, margarine, or butter, those foods are also almost always consumed with fat as well because no one eats those flour products without any fat. People always add oils and cheese/butter to them. You are considered a weirdo if you eat such foods fat-free. So when one is eating those foods, they have to consider the calories from the fat portion of those foods. And thirdly, those foods are flour products, which means that they are made from something that was highly milled through one of these, a flour mill:

2my9j79.jpg

White rice is milled, but it is not milled into a flour. That is a big difference. Just the brown shell is removed. Of course you can purchase white rice flour if you need it but understanding the difference between milled flour products and starches in un-milled form is important.

Veggies and fruit are carbs too. All plant foods with the exception of fatty plant foods are all carbohydrates. Here's a list of fatty plant foods: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5723

Calorie and gram wise, starches in their natural form, meaning not milled though a flour miller, are the most dense carbohydrates, while fruits are second in density. Some fruits are higher in density and some starches are lower but starches generally have more energy output than most fruits. Either way, both starch and fruit are the only carbohydrate sources that provide humans with enough carbohydrate calories and nutrition at the same time. Other carbohydrates are sweeteners like sugarcane, agave, molasses, and maple syrup. Those foods can be used to add a little extra boost in calories if needed and they provide little nutrition, though paradoxically providing the most important nutrient, sugar. All other plant foods like leafy greens, and the hundreds of other veggies are carbs too. But they are mostly fiber and they provide very little energy. But they do have nutrients.

The only animal sourced carbs are galactose derived lactose from any mammal milk, honey, and glycogen from very fresh meat. I guess Chitin counts as an animal carb too, though I don't think humans can digest it. Chitin is found in the exoskeletons of arthropods such as crustaceans (e.g., crabs, lobsters and shrimps) and insects, the radulae of molluscs, and the beaks and internal shells of cephalopods, including squid and octopuses.

SQu

Sounds like a Sri Lankan Cricketer I think. Jayawardene.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals