Vitamin A elimination diet for 10 years: RESULTS!

tallglass13

LiveLaughLove said:
I've not read Grant because none of this passes my basic sniff test, but I did happen upon Garrett Smith's vitamin D theories, and the whole thing read's like a conspiracy theorist with hackneyed collections of any reason vitamin D could be supposed as bad. it was unconvincing research. I found similar in his vitamin A opinions. it's a classic worldview of skepticism with an open range for anything that gets in it's way. I used to be the same way.

There is no debate of Vitamin A toxicity, none. All medical literature warns against getting to much. The only real debate is if VA is a vitamin at all. And that is a individual belief that nobody can convince someone one way or the other. By reading Grant , you just get a whole lotta facts and history of VA. It is very helpful and eye opening. People get VA toxic plain and simple. However, that does NOT mean we can not eat VA foods, since we all have different thresholds and metabolisms.

TheCodez

Well now here's interesting old thread. You still out there @LiveLaughLove ? How are things?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
So, my diet looked like a few eggs for breakfast, tons of rice and beans, raw veggies, bread, coconut oil, random fruits, chicken, and a little lean beef each week. If we ate out I got a burger and doubled my red meat intake for the week.
Yeh no. A little bit of lean beef each week shows she was probably very deficient of taurine, zinc and also protein. The true low toxin lifestyle and diet is a beef based diet for a good reason. Beef is life.

Hugh Johnson

I hoped I conveyed the Prevention of extreme conclusions on my end, with statements like:

“I’m not blaming all my problems on low vitamin A…” (I’m acutely aware that I didn’t consume near enough red meat, saturated fat, salt, calcium, easily digestible carbs, and a plethora of smaller issues like undigestible plants and plant proteins. If you don’t support beans and rice as major food sources, Fair enough, but that’s currently a big theme in the low vitamin A community).

and

“ a nutrient that humans consumed in astronomically higher doses…” (I can understand with this statement, how leaving out “than today,” could imply I’m not comparing to today’s standard…).

However, I’m not at all convinced that looking at evidence of hunter gatherer societies is at all useful in determining an optimal diet. And indeed, for the last few thousand years, agrarian societies consume WAY more vitamin A, than today’s western person, due to sources like liver and heart, which were consumed weekly, and dairy, which was consumed daily, by the lb.

My grandpa’s impoverished sharecropping family, had two milk cows providing approximately 7 gallons a day to a household of 3 adults and 6 children at any given moment (that accounts for about the rate of reared to nest leaving that each child stayed in the home). They also ate liver weekly. Idk about heart but I know heart roast was a weekly Sunday dish in Germanic Europe until 40 years ago, on top of highest dairy consumption and weekly liver/pate’s.

If you think the modern westerner eats anything comparable I guess there’s no further discussion to be had. Maybe beta carotene, which is what I guess you’re claiming kept my vitamin A levels not low, but in raw veggies, that’s not very digestible.

Literally the same for everyone consuming the aforementioned homesteader/agrarian diet, and that’s the crux of my whole argument against vitamin A toxicity. I’m not saying one can’t get vitamin A toxic from supplementing while hypothyroid and lacking vitamin E on top, but that’s a separate issue to the vitamin A toxicity imo, as Grant Genereux and Garrett Smith suppose. People are now even saying to stop eating liver and dairy!

Agreed, that’s another piece of the health puzzle, that ironically, I actually think the vitamin A toxicity crowd underplays when they feel better on their diet of choice (beans can indeed help with bile/estrogen detox, but that doesn’t mean that detoxing vitamin A is improving anything as they sometimes support).

I’m not saying you stand by all statements of the anti-vitamin A crowd, but that’s largely what I’m addressing.
There is something seriously wrong with our society when an impoverished sharecropper with six kids would eat better than 80% of our ostensibly rich nations.