What juicer and bone broth nutrients.

whitnatchee

What juicer would work for making pulp free O.J.?
I have a Champion juicer, can I use that?
I remember 45 years ago, we had a hand juicer with a big handle that pressed down on a dome to make O.J.. It had a green base. Anything like that now days?

Anyone here know how many grams of carbs, proteins and fats in homemade bone broth? Using beef knuckle bones.
How long to simmer the broth? I have been cooking it for 2 days.
Thanks!

jyb

I juice by hand with the most basic method possible, as I find it doesn't take more than 10mins to make 1-2L (a bit more for washing up, filtering the pulp, etc).

I would avoid using a machine that takes raw uncut oranges and blends & filters the skin, as I fear that the pesticides from the skin would leak into the juice. For other machines, I would take into account the time it takes to clean it. If it takes a while to rinse everything, then not that much time is gained over a manual basic juicer.

loess

They still make those manual press "dome" juicers. The good ones are $$$, though. I use this Cuisinart and strain out the pulp with a fine mesh nylon bag. Search "nut milk bag" or "paint strainer bag" on eBay, they are cheap. When I am out of the house I bring a wooden reamer with me + the mesh bag and juice/strain the oranges by hand.

Supposedly RP has said to not to cook bone broth for more than ~3 hours because it degrades the protein, but it could be inferred that he was recommending to avoid cooking the *meat* on the bones for longer than that. Myself, I try and pull off the meat once it is loose enough and then cook the bones a little longer to get as much gelatin out of them as I can. Never have gone two days myself but it is certainly not unheard of!

I don't know if anyone has ever done a legit complete nutritional analysis of bone broth, and it would probably vary slightly depending on the way the animal was raised. Here is a bit of a breakdown though: http://www.jadeinstitute.com/jade/bone- ... ilding.php

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals