What Blood Tests Should I Get?

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
P2P, I was about to post the same thread. Thank you for doing so. So that makes two of us, what tests to get?

kettlebell

When I spoke to My Roddy on FB he recommended:
Prolactin
Parathyroid
TSH
Whole blood serotonin
CO2
Lactic Acid
Free fatty acids (NEFA)
Vit D
Histamine

That was for a FULL profile.

Notice no T3 and T4 - With all of the above in check T3 and T4 will be at good levels I imagine.

I have heard Ray mention Prolactin being very important in several interviews due to it strongly indication estrogen and serotonin dominance if it is high. Paraphrasing but he said something along the lines of "If it comes back high every system is under considerable stress"

Hope this helps

gretchen

kettlebell said:
When I spoke to My Roddy on FB he recommended:
Prolactin
Parathyroid
TSH
Whole blood serotonin
CO2
Lactic Acid
Free fatty acids (NEFA)
Vit D
Histamine

That was for a FULL profile.

Notice no T3 and T4 - With all of the above in check T3 and T4 will be at good levels I imagine.

I have heard Ray mention Prolactin being very important in several interviews due to it strongly indication estrogen and serotonin dominance if it is high. Paraphrasing but he said something along the lines of "If it comes back high every system is under considerable stress"

Hope this helps

Yeah, and I think I read in one of his articles yesterday that prolactin increases with age. Fwiw.

RRT

Adding to the aforementioned list:
Albumin
Total Cholesterol
C-Reactive Protein (inflammation marker)
Sodium
Magnesium
Calcium
Potassium
Glucose

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Going in for blood work today. Hopefully my doc will run all these tests.

Combie

Can you just get whatever tests you want in the US? I havent even thought of asking my doc for a prolactin test after the "why no T3 test?" debacle

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
If you have an understanding doctor, then maybe, yes. You can purchase labs on your own I believe but they are really expensive.

kiran

They used to be much cheaper at one time, the company was giving it to us for the same price as medicare charges. No more, alas.

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Blah blah blah fatty acids is a hereditary disease, blah blah blah serotonin only needs be checked if you are flush after going to the bathroom, blah blah who told you to check all these different things. These experts don't understand the meaning of some tests blah blah blah.
-Dr. Donegoofed

Hey doc. :bs

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
He really is a nice guy, but dangit, I am a bit upset cause didnt get serotonin or prolactin checked. He said I would need man boobies or making milk to get prolactin checked.

Oh well, I tried. :shootself

kettlebell

Charlie said:
He really is a nice guy, but dangit, I am a bit upset cause didnt get serotonin or prolactin checked. He said I would need man boobies or making milk to get prolactin checked.

Oh well, I tried. :shootself

That right there. Thats the sort of thing that makes my blood boil. Doctors have no clue whatsoever. A lack of of those symptoms in no way indicates "Normal" hormone levels.

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
I didn't even waste my strength trying to persuade him. Waste of valuable energy. Wasn't even about to drop the name Ray Peat either.

J

j.

Have you ever told the doctor, can I get an order for this test just because I want to?

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
At least you can get TSH, right?

Yes, was able to get TSH but then he refused T3 and T4 and RT3.

j. said:
Have you ever told the doctor, can I get an order for this test just because I want to?

He knows I really wanted the serotonin and prolactin and said it was not sensible.

J

j.

Charlie said:
j. said:
At least you can get TSH, right?

Yes, was able to get TSH but then he refused T3 and T4 and RT3.

j. said:

He knows I really wanted the serotonin and prolactin and said it was not sensible.

Oh well, are you gonna start saving to get them out of insurance, or are you just gonna go with TSH. I actually just happen to use TSH and free T4, just because insurance company covers that. I think I'll get vit D too once, but my insurance company doesn't cover that even with a doctor's prescription.