What would you do if you had a fatty liver?

OP
Connor888

Connor888

I believe TUDCA should be quite useful.

@Hans and @Lokzo have written about TUDCA quite extensively, so perhaps go through some of their posts. Also check out this study.

I have never heard of it before, but after a quick search online this looks really promising. Thank you for linking this! Do you have any brand recommendations in the UK or EU?

GTW

High Vitamin D supplementation without concurrent magnesium can cause severe magnesium depletion. That could explain adverse effects of D supplementation.
Some research suggests NAFLD should be seen as the cause, not the effect of disregulated metabolism. Consequently losing weight and fat from the liver will at some stage (not necessarily X BMI) reverse the pathology.
HDL-C is the agent of redistributing fat. In particular studies sorghum flour and aloe vera separately raised HDL-C more than "significantly."

Jamsey

@Hans has a good article related to this. I can’t find the thread right now but I think someone on this forum used this guide successfully to lower liver enzymes. But, if you had to focus on one or two things, I would say taurine first(up to 15g a day) and then high dose caffeine or coffee second if the taurine does not achieve the desired result.

David PS

@Jamsey - Taurine appears to be very powerful. Thanks for the pointers.

The beneficial effects of taurine in alleviating fatty liver disease

• Taurine is considered to have great potential in development of functional foods.

• Its alleviating effects on AFLD/NAFLD can be derived from in vivo/in vitro data.

• It prevents liver steatosis by inhibiting lipogenesis/promoting energy expenditure.

• It prevents oxidative damage by inhibiting ROS/stabilizing mitochondrial membrane.

• It prevents inflammation by inhibiting TLR-4 mediated signaling pathways.

OP
Connor888

Connor888

@Jamsey - Taurine appears to be very powerful. Thanks for the pointers.

The beneficial effects of taurine in alleviating fatty liver disease

Found it

thank you guys. after searching into tudca, i can see it is udca but with taurine added. so i think i might try that :)

Last edited:

rooz7939

My theory is that (aside from everything others have said) gut issues can cause fatty liver over time (especially low grade fungal infection) and actually in some (most) cases are the main culprit. Endotoxins and other toxins produced overload the liver and deplete it of necessary nutrients to remove toxins or perform other tasks.

If you have digestive issues see if you can get that under control along with other things (especially improving thyroid function). If you live some place where you can get sun exposure I think that will help, TUDCA and/or bile supplements can help (vitamin K seems to help for me as well). Glycine and folate also seem to help me.

Beatrix_

Back in 2013 I was diagnosed with NAFLD via ultrasound and high triglycerides. It only took lowering glycemic load in my diet to resolve both issues in 2 months (I removed flours from my diet).

OP
Connor888

Connor888

Back in 2013 I was diagnosed with NAFLD via ultrasound and high triglycerides. It only took lowering glycemic load in my diet to resolve both issues in 2 months (I removed flours from my diet).
Did you remove anything else?
My theory is that (aside from everything others have said) gut issues can cause fatty liver over time (especially low grade fungal infection) and actually in some (most) cases are the main culprit. Endotoxins and other toxins produced overload the liver and deplete it of necessary nutrients to remove toxins or perform other tasks.

If you have digestive issues see if you can get that under control along with other things (especially improving thyroid function). If you live some place where you can get sun exposure I think that will help, TUDCA and/or bile supplements can help (vitamin K seems to help for me as well). Glycine and folate also seem to help me.
Thanks!
Good choice! Best of luck :) and let us know your results down the line
I will do thank you jamsey :)

GTW

Intestinal bacteria break down carbohydrates to endogenous ethanol, which is metabolized in the liver by enzyme ethanol dehydrogenase. Ethanol is thought to be an important factor contributing to MAFLD.

Other Dietary Components

After entering the body, coffee is metabolized by the gut microbiota into fermentation products such as SCFAs (44, 45). In an animal experiment, mice with metabolic syndrome fed with chlorogenic acid and caffeine (the main component of coffee) had a 1.5- to 4-fold increase in propionate and a 1.5- to 3-fold increase in butyrate, in addition to restoring the already reduced levels of acetate in mice with metabolic syndrome compared to controls (46). Effects of Dietary Nutrients on Fatty Liver Disease Associated With Metabolic Dysfunction (MAFLD): Based on the Intestinal-Hepatic Axis

mostlylurking

I started taking D3+K2 since my D3 was low. I was diagnosed with fatty liver by ULTRASOUND at the very start of this year. Previous blood work showed only 1 raised liver enzyme (I think it was ALT) but I'll try and see if I still have those liver tests somewhere in case I am wrong. But I know only one enzyme was raised for sure.
My triglycerides were slightly high. I think the limit was 30 and I had 32. I've added some other bloodwork but they arent liver specific

Besides supplementing D3, and avoiding vegetable oils, i'm really not sure what else might help. What do you guys think?
Unfortunately i'm not in a place where i can get extensive tests done right now otherwise i would

Oh, i should probably add. I eat around 15% fat everyday, i think. I was eating a SAD for awhile leading up to the test because of a VERY long stay in hospital, and even before hospital i ate pretty bad due to some depression, which i feel is better now 😊
Edit: it's non alcoholic fatty liver, felt like i should clarify. I have never really drank before.

High dose thiamine resolved my fatty liver problem.

OP
Connor888

Connor888

High dose thiamine resolved my fatty liver problem.

Thank you!
At what dose? And did you take it WITH or without food?

mostlylurking

Thank you!
At what dose? And did you take it WITH or without food?
I still take it (a little over 2 years now). 1 gram of thiamine hcl, 2Xday, with water (not juice). I space eating anything 30 minutes before and after taking it. I also take about 90mg niacinamide 4Xday and also around 50mg riboflavin 4Xday.

DrJ

I believe TUDCA should be quite useful.

@Hans and @Lokzo have written about TUDCA quite extensively, so perhaps go through some of their posts. Also check out this study.

This. TUDCA can reverse fatty liver. I would also take taurine and plenty of non-soluble fiber (e.g. raw carrots) to pull out all of the toxins bound to the bile.

OP
Connor888

Connor888

This. TUDCA can reverse fatty liver. I would also take taurine and plenty of non-soluble fiber (e.g. raw carrots) to pull out all of the toxins bound to the bile.
Thanks!
If you don't mind, does it help reverse fatty liver without weight loss being necessary? If so, I would love to understand how that might be possible. I was always under the impression weight loss was the only way, with diet changes. I did lose some weight already but still curious

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals