What Should A Woman With Fatigue & Hair Loss Get Tested?

Hi everybody,

I know there's a long "what blood test should I get" post. I looked through it and it seemed to be geared towards people in different circumstances than me. (For example, iron wasn't mentioned. It seems like I should have iron tested as a woman).

I am about to call around to see where I can get my blood tested locally. My main issues are days of fatigue that come and go (5 days in a row last week I was exhausted / unable to do anything. This week I was fine, until again today. So it comes and goes)...And hair loss. For about a month and a half now my hair has REALLY been shedding way more than normal. I have a feeling my adrenals or thyroid is at the root of it.

If you were a woman in her late 30s experiencing the following symptoms, what would you make sure to have included in your blood test?

(I'll use the list of "common adrenal fatigue / hashimotos symptoms "):
  • Fatigue and sluggishness - YES
  • Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness - Slightly
  • Joint pain and stiffness - NO
  • Muscle weakness - NO
  • Excessive or prolonged menstrual bleeding - NO
  • Depression - YES, but I've always been up and down mood-wise
  • Memory lapses - YES
  • Increased sensitivity to cold - NO. I've always been easily chilled/ cold. But no more than normal. Then again I am in a very hot environment in the summer, so not really a chance to get cold?
  • Constipation - NO. Although slightly less regular than normal over the past week or so.
  • Pale, dry skin - NO
  • A puffy face - NO
  • Brittle nails - NO
  • Hair loss - YES
  • Enlargement of the tongue - Don't think so. Definitely haven't noticed.
  • Unexplained weight gain - NO.
  • Cravings for sugar - YES, but not too crazy. Just slightly more than normal.
  • Cravings for salt on food when you eat - No more than normal. I always like a lot of salt.
  • Feel dehydrated and thirsty and require plenty of water - No more than normal. I've always been easily thirsty / drink a lot of water.
  • Difficulty falling asleep at night, sleep lightly or wake early or often - YES
  • Difficulty relaxing, nervous, anxious or hyperactive - YES, but more due to stress of my job lately.
  • Often spacey, or foggy thinking, even memory loss - YES, this past week very forgetful.
  • Lack willpower to accomplish - YES.
  • General exhaustion - YES
  • Hormone imbalances - NOT SURE?
  • Low libido - NO
  • Weight gain, especially in abdomen and waist area - NO
  • Losing muscle tone - NO
  • Sagging skin, dry, yellow or pale in color - NO
  • Lips losing their color - NO
  • Loss of appetite - NO, I've never had a huge appetite. It's the same as always.
  • Anorexia - NO
  • Weight loss - NO
  • High blood sugar - NOT SURE, but I assume no. I've always had low blood sugar
--------------

And here's a list of what I see commonly recommended..Should I have ALL of these tested? Are there any more I should be aware of?
  • Prolactin
  • Parathyroid
  • TSH
  • Whole blood serotonin
  • CO2
  • Lactic Acid
  • Free fatty acids (NEFA)
  • Vit D
  • Histamine
  • Albumin
  • Total Cholesterol
  • C-Reactive Protein (inflammation marker)
  • Sodium
  • Magnesium
  • Calcium
  • Potassium
  • Iron?
  • Glucose
Not sure if they charge more, the more things you get tested? If so, I'd love to know your opinion on what the "minimum viable testing" should be in my case. Like what the bare minimum that I DEFINITELY should get tested, no matter what.

Thanks in advance to whoever responds.

grumpyblob

Hey WOW, just saw your other post in which you said you're anemic. You should test ferritin as well as iron - they are related of course, but I think iron is only testing the serum iron, but your ferritin stores will actually control your hair loss. If my ferritin gets really low hair would drop like anything.

Hope that helps!!

OP
wealthofwisdom
Hey WOW, just saw your other post in which you said you're anemic. You should test ferritin as well as iron - they are related of course, but I think iron is only testing the serum iron, but your ferritin stores will actually control your hair loss. If my ferritin gets really low hair would drop like anything.

Hope that helps!!

Thank you :)

S-VV

My bare minimum:
-free T3
-TSH
-Prolactin
-Vitamin D
-Progesterone
-Testosterone
-Estrone and Estradiol
-LH