We Are So Sorry; It Won't Happen Again.

jyb

“What they should be looking for in the supermarket is something that’s not processed,” he says. “If it’s an undamaged fat, it’s likely going to be beneficial. Avocado, nuts, whole milk — those are whole foods. Don’t worry about those types of natural foods. Worry about things that are processed, and that includes processed meat.”

There's nothing left in a grocery store then. Milk at the store? Even that is heavily processed.

OP
S
It's like when they say "eat a varied diet", doctors are always trying to sound correct while avoiding the risk of disproof.

jyb

Such_Saturation said:
It's like when they say "eat a varied diet", doctors are always trying to sound correct while avoiding the risk of disproof.

Varied diet in the past was not all bad. Now varied diet means high pufa and other nasties, so it's not varied in the same way. So when someone in old age and healthy says that varied diet is good, they're not necessarily wrong - the varied diet they used to have probably contributed to their good health.

OP
S
jyb said:
Such_Saturation said:

Varied diet in the past was not all bad. Now varied diet means high pufa and other nasties, so it's not varied in the same way. So when someone in old age and healthy says that varied diet is good, they're not necessarily wrong - the varied diet they used to have probably contributed to their good health.

Yes, but it is said as a way to cover the ****, just like saying "people should be free and have equal rights" or "he was such a great man" when someone dies.

But the elephant in the room, polyunsaturated free (unbound) oils, is never mentioned as a problem, it's mentioned as the opposite, "heart healthy," when in fact they are the main cause of heart disease, PUFA breakdown products - acrolein, malondialdehyde, hydroxynonenal, crotonaldehyde, lipid peroxides, isoprostanes, prostaglandins, neuroprostanes, eicosanoids, leuktotrienes. Now that this is "coming out" about butter, focus should be on PUFA oils too. But that is almost guaranteed to never happen because so many food products depend on PUFA oils, as well as cooking oils for restaurants.

“The natural foods/health food store industry stopped wanting to hear what I had to say, and no longer wanted me speaking at public events because they didn’t like what I was saying about vegetable oil because it is such an important ingredient in so many of their foods.” - Ray Peat, (one of the audio interviews)

But there is also a dumb side to this as well. Because if people start eating lots of butter, they will get gain fat. Although saturated fat may not "clog your arteries" like PUFA does, it can still cause fat gain.

"Too much butter can make you fat, and some cheeses are like a soft butter and should be limited" - Ray Peat, (one of the audio interviews)

OP
S
Are bound PUFA any better? :mrgreen:

jyb

Westside PUFAs said:
But there is also a dumb side to this as well. Because if people start eating lots of butter, they will get gain fat. Although saturated fat may not "clog your arteries" like PUFA does, it can still cause fat gain.

Fat from lots of butter... Have you travelled to Europe, areas such as Brittany? Butter is pretty traditional, used generously. Remember, all these areas that used more butter in the past (still now, but slowly less and less due to health recommendations) had almost no obesity nor diabetes.

@such, Better, maybe. In the sense that they probably are not as easily absorbed though the small intestine like the unbound are.

jyb,

I simply just quoted what Ray Peat said in one of the Herb Doctor interviews about butter. Has that one been transcribed yet ?

Sometimes I feel as though I am on a paleo forum with all of the pro-butter and anti-starch on here.

I've been to Europe and I've seen plenty of fat people. I am moving away from thinking about nutrition based off of things like "Well have you been here, and seen these people, and sat and watched what they put into their mouth every second of every day for months?"

jyb,

It's one thing to use a little butter to fry a piece of meat or eggs, it's another to consume lots of it and put it on everything.

supercoolguy

Westside PUFAs said:
post 70514 jyb,

It's one thing to use a little butter to fry a piece of meat or eggs, it's another to consume lots of it and put it on everything.
Make butter popsicals

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicholas

at this rate, in 60yrs....people will understand more that all macronutrients have a specific value and function and that you have to think for yourself.

PeatThemAll

jyb said:
post 70509
Westside PUFAs said:

Fat from lots of butter... Have you travelled to Europe, areas such as Brittany? Butter is pretty traditional, used generously. Remember, all these areas that used more butter in the past (still now, but slowly less and less due to health recommendations) had almost no obesity nor diabetes.

First and foremost, given what I know, I'm more pro SatFat than PUFA.

This being said, how would you counter the bit starting at 34min33sec?

I'm not convinced the positive change can be attributed to the fat switch specifically. Could be overall lower caloric intake (i.e. stopped being in *excess* calorie territory), and so many other factors.

(Regarding the graph, sure, correlation in not causation, I'm just wondering about the prime reason explaining it. Can't just be a fat switch. If so, then PUFAs do seem to be a better alternative. But what they don't tell is from what that same group of people died of alternatively, or at what age... :evil: )

So what would be your best, most probable (alternative) explanation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOcfxpZi6a0

Plant Positive has recently said that he was wrong about some of his information in some of his videos (they're about 4 years old now) and that he should update his videos but he doesn't have the time. It was a comment from him on YT.

PeatThemAll

Westside PUFAs said:
post 106993 Plant Positive has recently said that he was wrong about some of his information in some of his videos (they're about 4 years old now) and that he should update his videos but he doesn't have the time. It was a comment from him on YT.

Thanks. And :1 to PlantPositive for putting truth and accuracy (the scientific ideal) before ego. Not many have to guts to admit they revise their position.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals