Overheard In Whole Foods

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis-NEAT

OP
E

Emstar1892

It's basically a fitness nerd way of saying spending a large portion of the day on your feet moving around in a non-stressful, non-strenuous way. AKA not being a couch potato, but also not being a gym rat.

There are several positive hormonal and neurotransmitter changes just from being on your feet and doing things you enjoy more of the day. It can't really fully be attributed to extra calories being burned, which aren't very significant if you were to calculate it based on movement alone.

And that's exactly what I hoped it would be :) wonderful. I'm starting tomorrow! Hehe

CoolTweetPete

It's basically a fitness nerd way of saying spending a large portion of the day on your feet moving around in a non-stressful, non-strenuous way. AKA not being a couch potato, but also not being a gym rat.

There are several positive hormonal and neurotransmitter changes just from being on your feet and doing things you enjoy more of the day. It can't really fully be attributed to extra calories being burned, which aren't very significant if you were to calculate it based on movement alone.

This is probably a significant contributor to obesity in people with desk jobs.

Also, the shortening and tightening of muscles due to bad sitting posture might begin to discourage these folks from moving around more.

jyb

This is probably a significant contributor to obesity in people with desk jobs.

Also, the shortening and tightening of muscles due to bad sitting posture might begin to discourage these folks from moving around more.

I really disagree about desk job causing obesity. Correlated? Sure, more weight also means more difficult to move without effort. But keep in mind there are entire service oriented economies (where sitting at a desk is pretty much the norm as a job) outside USA where obesity is virtually zero, where it is frankly rare to be obese. Going to the gym in many European cities is also quite rare and recent.

It is true that in some places of the US (I'm thinking East Coast), people tend to use car a lot so might not move lots. But really, I think the idea that moving and physical activity is needed to keep slim is flat wrong. It may not hurt, but...

Last edited:

CoolTweetPete

I really disagree about desk job causing obesity. Correlated? Sure, more weight also means more difficult to move without effort. But keep in mind there are entire service oriented economies (where sitting at a desk is pretty much the norm as a job) outside USA where obesity is virtually zero, where it is frankly rare to be obese.

If one doesn't get enough movement throughout the day, I think lymphatic flow may not be sufficiently stimulated, and there was a connection recently discovered between the gut (via the lymph system) and the brain. The researchers speculate that brain serotonin may be affected by these lymph channels (which require movement to function).

http://io9.gizmodo.com/scientists-discover-a-new-link-between-the-brain-and-th-1710560159

I'm sure it's not the only causative factor, but I think it contributes. I suspect environmental factors may play a bigger role in the difference between people in desk jobs in the US, and elsewhere.

jyb

If one doesn't get enough movement throughout the day, I think lymphatic flow may not be sufficiently stimulated, and there was a connection recently discovered between the gut (via the lymph system) and the brain. The researchers speculate that brain serotonin may be affected by these lymph channels (which require movement to function).

http://io9.gizmodo.com/scientists-discover-a-new-link-between-the-brain-and-th-1710560159

I'm sure it's not the only causative factor, but I think it contributes.

I have no doubt that physical activity is immensely good for health. But causing obesity? Only in a few places people get obesity so easily and this makes me think it is an insignificant variable (for obesity) compared to other factors.

Giraffe

I think the liver is suppressed by pufa like the thyroid and every other part of the system. its the monkeywrench.
How can we get it out once we've been exposed?
Probably the most reliable method is to eat very low fat for at least a month or two, like 10 grams per day or less, and possibly use high doses of K2 and caffeine if your metabolism can handle it.

I disagree with the advice to go very low fat. The very low fat, fast PUFA detox route is probably safe for healthy young males; people with impaired metabolism and lots of PUFA in their tissue better take it slow. Saturated fats are protective and therapeutic for the liver. Coconut oil is able to speed up metabolism.

Ray Peat said:
Yeah, the main value is that they [the saturated fats] will go to the same places that the toxic stored polyunsaturated fats go, and so they interrupt the anti-thyroid effect momentarily like when you eat a tablespoon full of coconut oil it quickly gets into your blood stream, and while it's circulating, it's relieving the suppression of your metabolism by simply getting in front of the suppressive molecule.

Fats - Eluv, 2008-09-18

Ray Peat said:
The 10 carbon chains [in coconut oil] can be oxidized as easily as glucose. And so, instead of interfering with glucose metabolism and switching the whole mitochondrial function, they can participate and even activate the glucose oxidation. They interfere with the anti-metabolic effects of the unsaturated fats. By interfering with the anti-metabolites, they let the mitochondria run at full speed; and that works as if you were giving a thyroid supplement.

Cholesterol and Saturated Fats - East West Healing, 2011-09-29

tara

I think Giraffe's point is a good one.

Also, anyone who is having trouble eating enough calories anyway is likely to find it a lot harder if they restrict fat too much. A bit of saturated fat such as coconut oil can make the food taste better and digest better, both of which are a good thing if one needs to increase habitual food consumption.

Last edited:

whit

Giraffe,
Thank you for the reasearch and the clairity on this issue.
I've been using coconut oil for many years now for the many benefits including ADD suppresion.
But I was on fish oil and flax for some time too.

Brian

I disagree with the advice to go very low fat. The very low fat, fast PUFA detox route is probably safe for healthy young males; people with impaired metabolism and lots of PUFA in their tissue better take it slow. Saturated fats are protective and therapeutic for the liver. Coconut oil is able to speed up metabolism.

Great points Giraffe. That sounds like a reasonable way to decide which path to take.

Although I will add that in a high starch low fat diet it is often crucial that you lower serotonin/cortisol through environment and lifestyle. The simplest and cheapest tools being spending large parts of the day outdoors and on your feet in a non-stressing activity.

Last edited:

Zachs

Funny I always see and hear people talking about sugar causing inflammation, and no one seems to be able to provide a mechanism for how that happens. They really just parrot each other on the subject.

Yep, and every time I hear that I ask them a simple question, how? They never know.

whit

Yep, and every time I hear that I ask them a simple question, how? They never know.
Yea, they don't know because it's too easy to go on that assumption without question.
Thats all we hear now. "Sugar is bad. Saturated fat is bad."
Yet you put them together and it's magic, right.

OP
E

Emstar1892

Yes, there's a lot to it, though. I mean, Iceland have some of the lowest rates of metabolic disorders and obesity cases in the world, and their fat is 39%, add to the fact that they eat fatty fish daily, interesting. Not saying it's right or wrong, just intrigued

whit

Yea, it is interesting south of the Equator the carbs are really high. And fats are fairly moderate. I believe a lot of questions could come to answers using this as a resource.

OP
E

Emstar1892

Yea, it is interesting south of the Equator the carbs are really high. And fats are fairly moderate. I believe a lot of questions could come to answers using this as a resource.

Yeah. And don't get me wrong but...I think starch might just be the staple of all the countries in dark blue.

whit

I'd say greenland got the shaft all around though. I guess ice does slow one down.

whit

Not much else to do I would imagine. I doubt you could ever get a tan either. So sad.
No wonder the vikings left.