Overheard In Whole Foods

Emstar1892

Sorry to have posted a lot this week but my experience just now really got me thinking about how messed up everyone is in terms of diet and finding the secret magical "cure." I went to grab lunch in whole foods, and there's this woman just ranting at all her friends:

"People don't realize that low carb is so easy, no matter where you are. Like I have this portable soap box, just like dave does on YouTube, where you can keep butter and ghee cool, so if you're stuck travelling and need a carb free meal, just frigging eat that! And I got my blender flown out with me. And, you know, you won't even crave carbs after a while. And when you do, (lol ), you know it's your body just CRYING out for more fat! So let it have it!"

Her friend asks about snacks. ..

"Snacks just make your blood sugar skyrocket all day long, hello diabetes hahaha! No but for real, three square meals a day, otherwise that's a sign that somethings wrong. I've been doing this a whole year, so i know."

:(

OP
E

Emstar1892

Haha she's still going - her friend asked her what she eats in a day:

"Brain octane fuel, a dessert spoon of coconut oil, some stevia, cacao and protein powder, yeah I pretty much just blend that up. I might add almond butter, and normal butter, although there are still carbs in almond butter so I'm trying to cut down."

Brasica

screw the yt health community and its propaganda.

poor girl. you should mention ray peat

thegiantess

Hahaha. Yes. Whole foods and other health food type stores are perfect for eavesdropping on ridiculous conversations. The other day, when I was at whole foods, I overheard two employees talking about sugar and how it was so bad. They were talking specifically about a class they had attended with a woman who had gotten cancer and she was telling them that sugar is bad and yada yada. In the end they decided that nice, smart people's shouldn't get cancer.. That only stupid, mean people should.

OP
E

Emstar1892

Hahaha. Yes. Whole foods and other health food type stores are perfect for eavesdropping on ridiculous conversations. The other day, when I was at whole foods, I overheard two employees talking about sugar and how it was so bad. They were talking specifically about a class they had attended with a woman who had gotten cancer and she was telling them that sugar is bad and yada yada. In the end they decided that nice, smart people's shouldn't get cancer.. That only stupid, mean people should.

Haha of course! Wake up sheeple! Cancer is 100% curable with a high-IQ-low-sugar regimen. Books + fat...it's just so simple!

tara

I've been doing this a whole year, so i know.
Quite a lot of people seem to thrive on it for a year or so. I wonder if she'll be saying the same thing in 2 or 3 years.

OP
E

Emstar1892

Quite a lot of people seem to thrive on it for a year or so. I wonder if she'll be saying the same thing in 2 or 3 years.

Yes, I thrived on it for a year. I honestly felt superhuman. What happened after that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy :(

DaveFoster

They're half right. They got saturated fat covered. What happened after your keto-high?

OP
E

Emstar1892

They're half right. They got saturated fat covered. What happened after your keto-high?

Hey DaveFoster,

Well during my 'thriving' I was going to gym classes daily and running circles round other people, but gradually I became unable to complete workouts. I also realised that I wasn't sweating at all, and that my body was ice cold 45 minutes into circuit training. At one point I went down to do a push up, trembled, and realized I couldn't actually get up. After that I didn't even have energy to go to the gym.

On top of that i developed bradycardia, lost my menstrual cycle, gained a ton of weight, got dry skin, a return of my acne (which was why I went low carb in the first place), and I just became an out of shape, pale zombie.

I know it sounds weird but I also lost my personality - I couldn't come up with jokes when I was with my friends, rarely laughed and was just really...numb.

Not that any of my story means it muat fail for everyone. Have you ever tried low carb?

DaveFoster

Have you ever tried low carb?
2 years low-carb every-other-day fasting, 2 years raw carnivore. Same as you, I couldn't sweat, and I felt aggressive all the time.

milk_lover

I know it sounds weird but I also lost my personality - I couldn't come up with jokes when I was with my friends, rarely laughed and was just really...numb.

I could relate to this when I was doing low-carb. I used to be the "funny guy" around my friends. I was little fat before low-carb but my thyroid was in good shape. I could sweat. I retained a lot of CO2 now I think back. Until I tried the dreaded low-carb for vanity reasons. I wanted to be thin so I look good in clothes and be "healthy." I fell for the thinness is healthiness trap. Not only didn't I eat carb, but also I exercised crazily to get that "elusive" body lool. Like Dave and you, I didn't sweat much and I was aggressive. I was thinking being aggressive means higher testosterone because of the lost fat...

But I turned that around (I think) in just one year of peating without much help from supplements. The last couple of months, I inserted supplements into my life and things are going well so far. This place is a great opportunity for improving our healths.

DaveFoster

How strict were you? That is incredible
6 months strict. The first 3.5 years I ate about 4-8 cups of lettuce every day at noon with some MCT oil for dressing. I also occasionally drank salted bone broth.

Zachs

Haha she's still going - her friend asked her what she eats in a day:

"Brain octane fuel, a dessert spoon of coconut oil, some stevia, cacao and protein powder, yeah I pretty much just blend that up. I might add almond butter, and normal butter, although there are still carbs in almond butter so I'm trying to cut down."

She would literally die if that's all she eats. I'd wager there us a bit of binging going on.

whit

I followed down that path for more than a year as an experiment in vanity. I nearly broke myself.
Were it not for my love of Peat and his kind following, only pieces would be left.
Still recovering.

OP
E

Emstar1892

She would literally die if that's all she eats. I'd wager there us a bit of binging going on.

Mm. We'll I'll hand it to her that her skin looked great! But sadly when I got up to leave I walked behind her, and she had patches of hair missing, so perhaps she's already done thriving..

OP
E

Emstar1892

I followed down that path for more than a year as an experiment in vanity. I nearly broke myself.
Were it not for my love of Peat and his kind following, only pieces would be left.
Still recovering.

Sorry to hear that Whit, I hope you are now on the mend?

onioneyedox

Yeah also in my experience physical fitness can be somewhat maintained on low carb. I did have endurance or fitness maybe good constitution (hard to explain), but lightness, joy of movement, feeling of power, were gone pretty fast. Ofc, that was because I wasn't keto adapted or something, haha. Maybe if there is outside pressure (easier to maintain stress hormones) or other supporting factors (dopamine, for example) it is not so hard.

Worst is that low carb seems to hit on creativity, curiosity, tolerance, open mindedness (cranky low carb zealots, anyone :inpain:), positiveness, and these are harder to recover than simple physical fitness (and harder to realize you are losing them). I remember that some people (back in the time on lowcarb forums) reported immediate decrease in creativity when testing low carb and stopped immediately. Well, it is harder to realize, if you are also seeking help to depression or something.

Anyone know any high profile lowcarb scientist, artist, musicians? Though, I guess they wouldn't have time/interest to be public about it. I haven't looked into it, not meant be sarcasm (at least not purely).

Also looking at pets trough bioenergetic lens is quite interesting and revealing.

Strongbad

I made a big mistake for going very low carb. I'm kinda on low carb right now, but not that much and seems to work well with me and weight loss: 50% meat, 30% green veggies and 20% carbs. Very clean and balanced diet actually, and didn't seem to ignite any weight gain or loss. And I seem to enjoy both benefits of low carb (weight-wise) and high carb (energy, focus, mood etc).

As usual, your mileage may vary.

OP
E

Emstar1892

I made a big mistake for going very low carb. I'm kinda on low carb right now, but not that much and seems to work well with me and weight loss: 50% meat, 30% green veggies and 20% carbs. Very clean and balanced diet actually, and didn't seem to ignite any weight gain or loss. And I seem to enjoy both benefits of low carb (weight-wise) and high carb (energy, focus, mood etc).

As usual, your mileage may vary.
Ah, I thought in one of my other threads you said you were on a very low fat diet? Oh well, whatever works ey :) and I understand what you mean by the "focus" thing, when I went low carb before at work for a few days I couldn't even make phonecalls I was so fuzzed out!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals