Was I Niacin Deficient?

webbt

I saw this comment on a thread (about thiamine)
This is the famous paradoxical reaction, also known as the refeeding reaction. It's seen as evidence for the underlying deficiency. It's temporary but might require additional mg, potassium and b complex supplementation. Lonsdale has written a lot about this on his site hormonesmatter.cpm

It made me think about something I experienced with niacin months ago. I was taking about a gram every day. The first few days there was mental spaciness. Short-term memory issues. It felt like some part of my brain wasn't working right.

Maybe this was due to the liberation of toxins from fat—something niacin is known for.

But according to TheSir it could be indicating I was deficient.

Niacin deficiency is associated with skin problems, cognitive decline like memory problems and dementia, and GI problems like loose stool. For most of my life (I'm in my early twenties right now) I have had cognitive problems and chronic loose stool. Unable to work because my mind has no energy and also insomnia.

Elliot of EO Nutrition has talked about how nutritional deficiencies could theoretically only be affecting certain organs. So perhaps my skin was never deficient, but my my brain and GI system were.

In addition to this, I experienced something on the fourth and fifth day of supplementing. It was remarkable and indeed made me feel as if I was severely deficient. You have heard of the Limitless Pill probably. Infinite energy, boosts IQ, abundance of confidence and motivation. Well this is what I felt on those days. As if a major deficiency had been corrected and cellular energy across my body was restored to how it should be. (there are more details in my thread if interested)

This was not mania because it had actually relaxed me, my nerves, my head. I was able to feel a sleepy sensation. It cured my insomnia. Additionally I noticed a change in stool quality. It had fixed my gut during those days.

The puzzle is that ever since that fourth and fifth day I haven't felt anywhere near to that. The way I feel is exactly like before that experience. Zero energy. Insomnia. Loose stool.

Does this sound like a deficiency? Does the paradoxical reaction occur with nutrients other than thiamine?

The only permanent change I've noticed since taking niacin is it has allowed me to go from using 3 lb dumbbells to 20 lbs. (for years I was trying to gain strength and never could)

With schizophrenia it can take years of supplementing niacin before improvements are seem. There is also an approach where massive doses are used to see results quicker.
How is that possible if it is only correcting a deficiency? (according to Dr. Abram Hoffer)

The best theory I've come up with is that maybe a leaky blood-brain barrier allowed lots of niacin into my brain at the beginning but then it repaired the blood-brain barrier.

This would limit the amount of niacin getting to the brain, preventing a full recovery because a certain threshold of supply is never met due to the NAD-starved cells too quickly picking up and spending any niacin that gets in.

But then again, I don't even know if I was/am deficient...

If you want to see the results of 50 gram+ check out this thread. I will be evaluating the BBB-bottleneck theory. The thread addresses safety concerns.

Last edited:

youngsinatra

https://b12oils.com/b2.htm

I find GRJ‘s perspective very interesting!

11F9C957-5787-4C2F-BD08-025D08BE4455.jpeg

OP
webbt

webbt

@youngsinatra b2 probably isn't the problem because I've tried it many times and get nothing from it. 400 mg per day for a bit and 800mg a few times. Would this rule it out?

youngsinatra

@youngsinatra b2 probably isn't the problem because I've tried it many times and get nothing from it. 400 mg per day for a bit and 800mg a few times. Would this rule it out?
According to GRJ if you have suboptimal thyroid function then your body would still be functionally deficient in B2 as the conversion of B2 into it’s active form FMN/FAD depend on active thyroid hormone. (T3)

I texted with someone who took 400mg B2 for 3 months and his FAD blood test was still deficient, so I think GRJ is onto something!

Ras

According to GRJ if you have suboptimal thyroid function then your body would still be functionally deficient in B2 as the conversion of B2 into it’s active form FMN/FAD depend on active thyroid hormone. (T3)

I texted with someone who took 400mg B2 for 3 months and his FAD blood test was still deficient, so I think GRJ is onto something!
In that case, is the only solution to take thyroid hormones?

youngsinatra

In that case, is the only solution to take thyroid hormones?
No, one needs to find out whatever is needed for your thyroid to function properly. Some rare cases only need a little bit of iodine, others benefit from more dietsry selenium, others need to work on lowering their chronic stress/cortisol. Other are recovering from years of a high-PUFA diet that negatively impacts thyroid function. There are lots of ways to increase the thyroid function. Many things are discussed on the forum. Some benefit from thyroid supplementation, others don’t need it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals