Anyone do any form of Niacin therapy? How's it working for you?

AnonE

I'm talking about Niacin that creates the flush, in particular.

My results: if I take a relatively high dose (500mg) once a week, I feel: great energy, skin tightening, water retention reducing, warmer body temperature. These effects last for hours after the initial ~30-60 mins of mild itching and redness from the flush.

I remember the first few times I ever took niacin, it was so profound I made some threads. Very first time - so much energy I literally could not sleep that night, or the night after when I took another one. The lack of sleep canceled out the good effects unfortunately, but I definitely felt the energy and other positive markers right away. The first time I took Niacin as a pre-workout, again it was amazing energy, and blood flow, and I set a few personal records.

Then I started taking it (250mg) fairly consistently every day. No more flushing after about 3-4 days, and I think it was overall still positive but I ended up forgetting about it after a few months. Now I take it maybe once a week and get the flushing with high energy levels. Personally I've always felt better taking Niacin over Niacinamide, even with the slightly annoying flushing.

Anyone else taking Niacin at relatively high (100mg+) doses? What are your experiences? How do you find it vs. Niacinamide?

GTW

I found 100mg too strong initial dose. 50 mg gives a strong flush, 100 is very uncomfortable. But after a few consecutive days I can then tolerate 100mg.
I also found, what seems counterintuitive, those doses half an hour before bed cause a strong flush just as I fall asleep.
Beta alanine causes a similar flush. Curious to know if the benefits are the same.

Ben.

I like the flush for the warmness it brings to my ears and scalp. The itching not so much.

Other than that i do not notice anything, but i havent gone over 200mg. I feel as if b-vitamins and vitamin d accelerate my body to much, causing accelerated aging and worsen almost all symptoms i have.

Deborah888

Hello. I'm new here, but niacin really interests me because I've recently discovered that if I take 100mg of niacin before a meal, I no longer get IBS symptoms. If I take 200mg I get the flushing, but I heard you can work your way up. I probably will never go over what I need though. Can't imagine needing more than 600mg for my symptoms per day. I also heard it's good to take with glycine, which I do because glycine helps me sleep, anyway.

Old Irenaeus

I have experimented the last couple of days. I got 500 mg pills from GNC, not realizing that is a high dosage. I took one two days ago and got walloped by a niacin flush that lasted several hours. I just took half a pill and was amazed that the heat, tingling, and prickly skin sensation—especially around ears and neck—hit almost immediately. But 15 minutes later it seems to have simmered down to a general good, warm feeling. Will see what further effects there may be.

Inaut

I've been taking about 250mg of niacin in the morning. I am experiencing a subtle flush but once its over, I feel calm like I just meditated or the afterglow from mushrooms. Anybody else?

Inaut

Interesting. Paul Stamets recommends niacin/lion’s mane mushroom stack which got me thinking. Would it be wise to stack supplements with niacin as it will increase circulation and uptake of nutrients?

Vins7

I like the flush for the warmness it brings to my ears and scalp. The itching not so much.

Other than that i do not notice anything, but i havent gone over 200mg. I feel as if b-vitamins and vitamin d accelerate my body to much, causing accelerated aging and worsen almost all symptoms i have.
What worsen your symptoms, taking vitamin D supplements or having good levels of vitamin D?

Ben.

What worsen your symptoms, taking vitamin D supplements or having good levels of vitamin D?

taking vitamin d supplements.

sugarisgreat

I've been using 2,000-3,000 of flush niacin for a year.
It makes me feel better and my cholesterol is now "normal."
I have lost 10 lbs with no change in diet. I do not eat a Ray Peat diet, other than trying to limit PUFA and lots of OJ/Vitamin C.
There is some good information about niacin on doctoryourself.com
I think it helps to take it with the other B vitamins too.

BlueEyeWolf

Forum Supporter
I like niacin also and it is great to work out with. So many benefits I also use with infrared sauna. Also evidence it decreases alcohol cravings if you have them and information from AA founder Bill Wilson on this.
I take often and feel better with niacin added to my vitamins. Lots of great information online and books.