Niacin Ameliorates Ulcerative Colitis

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am posting this study to show Niacin improves Ulcerative Colitis. I propose it does this via fixing a B3 deficiency and not by the mechanism they suggest.

Also, @GorillaHead has found the Nicotinic Acid works better for him than Niacinamide. I think Nicotinic Acid might show faster results because somehow it is able to "restore" the deficiency at a faster rate than niacinamide. This is only a guess though. But basically it all comes down to being deficient of B3 it seems. And if B3 is low then probably the other B's and its co-factors are low too.

Abstract

Niacin, as an antidyslipidemic drug, elicits a strong flushing response by release of prostaglandin (PG) D2. However, whether niacin is beneficial for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) remains unclear. Here, we observed niacin administration-enhanced PGD2 production in colon tissues in dextran sulfate sodium (DSS)-challenged mice, and protected mice against DSS or 2,4,6-trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid (TNBS)-induced colitis in D prostanoid receptor 1 (DP1)-dependent manner. Specific ablation of DP1 receptor in vascular endothelial cells, colonic epithelium, and myeloid cells augmented DSS/TNBS-induced colitis in mice through increasing vascular permeability, promoting apoptosis of epithelial cells, and stimulating pro-inflammatory cytokine secretion of macrophages, respectively. Niacin treatment improved vascular permeability, reduced apoptotic epithelial cells, promoted epithelial cell update, and suppressed pro-inflammatory gene expression of macrophages. Moreover, treatment with niacin-containing retention enema effectively promoted UC clinical remission and mucosal healing in patients with moderately active disease. Therefore, niacin displayed multiple beneficial effects on DSS/TNBS-induced colitis in mice by activation of PGD2/DP1 axis. The potential efficacy of niacin in management of IBD warrants further investigation.

https://www.embopress.org/doi/pdf/10.15252/emmm.201606987

redsun

I am posting this study to show Niacin improves Ulcerative Colitis. I propose it does this via fixing a B3 deficiency and not by the mechanism they suggest.

Also, @GorillaHead has found the Nicotinic Acid works better for him than Niacinamide. I think Nicotinic Acid might show faster results because somehow it is able to "restore" the deficiency at a faster rate than niacinamide. This is only a guess though. But basically it all comes down to being deficient of B3 it seems. And if B3 is low then probably the other B's and its co-factors are low too.

Abstract

Niacin, as an antidyslipidemic drug, elicits a strong flushing response by release of prostaglandin (PG) D2. However, whether niacin is beneficial for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) remains unclear. Here, we observed niacin administration-enhanced PGD2 production in colon tissues in dextran sulfate sodium (DSS)-challenged mice, and protected mice against DSS or 2,4,6-trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid (TNBS)-induced colitis in D prostanoid receptor 1 (DP1)-dependent manner. Specific ablation of DP1 receptor in vascular endothelial cells, colonic epithelium, and myeloid cells augmented DSS/TNBS-induced colitis in mice through increasing vascular permeability, promoting apoptosis of epithelial cells, and stimulating pro-inflammatory cytokine secretion of macrophages, respectively. Niacin treatment improved vascular permeability, reduced apoptotic epithelial cells, promoted epithelial cell update, and suppressed pro-inflammatory gene expression of macrophages. Moreover, treatment with niacin-containing retention enema effectively promoted UC clinical remission and mucosal healing in patients with moderately active disease. Therefore, niacin displayed multiple beneficial effects on DSS/TNBS-induced colitis in mice by activation of PGD2/DP1 axis. The potential efficacy of niacin in management of IBD warrants further investigation.

https://www.embopress.org/doi/pdf/10.15252/emmm.201606987

Why would nicotinic acid restore B3 deficiency faster assuming identical doses? Does nicotinic acid get converted to NAD faster or is it something else? I will likely use Nicotinic Acid again instead of niacinamide instead despite the supposed negatives but if you have some thoughts or data on why nicotinic acid might would work better I would appreciate it. Nicotinic acid did not have the water weight gain and bloating, possible fat gain, that niacinamide gave me so practically that seems like the better option.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Why would nicotinic acid restore B3 deficiency faster assuming identical doses? Does nicotinic acid get converted to NAD faster or is it something else? I will likely use Nicotinic Acid again instead of niacinamide instead despite the supposed negatives but if you have some thoughts or data on why nicotinic acid might would work better I would appreciate it. Nicotinic acid did not have the water weight gain and bloating, possible fat gain, that niacinamide gave me so practically that seems like the better option.
It is just a theory I have, no proof other then Nicotinic Acid seems to work better for me and Gorillahead too.

aguilaroja

...Niacin improves Ulcerative Colitis.

This animal study suggests that niacin reduces inflammation in ulcerative colitis, in a way that may include another pathway, Hydroxycarboxylic acid receptor 2 (HCA2) [also known as niacin receptor 1 (NIACR1) and GPR109A]:

Effect of Niacin on Inflammation and Angiogenesis in a Murine Model of Ulcerative Colitis
"Niacin attenuated the severity of colitis as demonstrated by a decrease in weight loss, colonic wet weight and MPO activity. Iodoacetamide-induced rise in the colonic levels of TNF-α, VEGF, angiostatin and endostatin was reversed by niacin. Moreover, niacin normalized IL-10 level in colon. Mepenzolate bromide, a GPR109A receptor blocker, abolished the beneficial effects of niacin on body weight, colon wet weight as well as colonic levels of MPO and VEGF. Therefore, niacin was effective against iodoacetamide-induced colitis through ameliorating pathologic angiogenesis and inflammatory changes in a GPR109A-dependent manner."

redsun

How do people become deficient in the first place?

"
Niacin is obtained from plant and (mainly) animal sources, and is excreted
fairly rapidly. It is not available from intestinal synthesis, but a small amount
is available from dietary protein-tryptophan conversion. Human requirements
are based on caloric intake. There is no evidence that dietary supplementation
is required for a normal, healthy adult on an average American diet. However,
many special conditions exist requiring additional supplementation: pregnancy,
lactation, high-caloric diets, pellagra, malnutrition, dermatosis, high serum
cholesterol (?), high corn intakes, sprue, and glossitis.
"

High calorie diets meaning large intake of empty calories that have low or nonexistent amounts of micronutrients. If your diet is in large part low in niacin as well as high in processed empty calories, that will deplete niacin quickly.

Any kind of stressor or prolonged stress(mental stress, trauma, injury, stressors from daily life, high or excessive amounts of exercise, etc.) will drain nutrient status especially Bs(B3 being needed by the body in the highest quantities, therefore a deficiency in B3 being one of the most detrimental)

Usually its some big thing that someone experiences that spirals their health downward, like for me it was a serious injury that left me on crutches and mostly stuck to my bed for 2 months, and took 3 more months to be able to walk normally and a whole year to recover fully and all the mental anguish and stress that compounded on top of it. That in and of itself was a big drain on my health, including B3 without a doubt.

Attachments

• Handbook of Vitamins, Minerals and Hormones - Roman J Kutsky (1).pdf
    25.2 MB · Views: 62

BigChad

How did the niacinamide cause those things, what dose were you using. U think it lowers metabolism?

Texon

I just found this today...
@haidut Well, this is pretty wild...I have never seen this perspective before...I am not a scientist, but I believe the article explains that plain niacin reduces blood ammonia and increases niacinamide as a by-product of the reaction of niacin with ammonia, thereby increasing NAD and energy overall. This might explain Hoffer's success in treating and curing schizophrenia with large doses of niacin? What do you guys think?

Texon

Texon

I just found this today...
@haidut Well, this is pretty wild...I have never seen this perspective before...I am not a scientist, but I believe the article explains that plain niacin reduces blood ammonia and increases niacinamide as a by-product of the reaction of niacin with ammonia, thereby increasing NAD and energy overall. This might explain Hoffer's success in treating and curing schizophrenia with large doses of niacin? What do you guys think?
http://www.reboundhealth.com/cms/images/pdf/rdid129niacintoflushornottoflush.pdf
Forgot the link

GorillaHead

I want to add to this. So 6 years ago i was diagnosed with UC. But on accident a year later i discovered that niacin completely resolved my issue.

Whats interesting is when symptoms first developed i remember it was during the summer and it was during the time of lots of sun exposure.

6 years later today i feel like the issue has started to creep up now. Which is funny because i have Ben getting an insane amouny of sun this past week. I am like 7 shades darker.

Pellagra is a conftion of naicin defeciency

Long time ago they thought the sun caused pellagra.

I would like to propose a theory. I propose that extreme sun exposure causes niacin deficiency.

A.R

I want to add to this. So 6 years ago i was diagnosed with UC. But on accident a year later i discovered that niacin completely resolved my issue.

Whats interesting is when symptoms first developed i remember it was during the summer and it was during the time of lots of sun exposure.

6 years later today i feel like the issue has started to creep up now. Which is funny because i have Ben getting an insane amouny of sun this past week. I am like 7 shades darker.

Pellagra is a conftion of naicin defeciency

Long time ago they thought the sun caused pellagra.

I would like to propose a theory. I propose that extreme sun exposure causes niacin deficiency.
This is interesting. What dose of niacin do you find works best for you? Also, when supplementing b3, which vitamin do we have to watch out for being depleted?