Very High Salt Intake (50g A Day) Increases Metabolism, Makes People Energetic And Happy

Apparently, I messed up the interpretation of the tests and I have metabolic acidosis, not alkalosis. I tried taking magnesium and it seems to aggravate the symptoms. It makes me want to breathe slowly and deeply, and it's very strange. I only feel normal when I don't take any electrolytes, and that's weird. I would like to understand why this is so. Tomorrow I think to pass the test for lactate.
Metabolic acidosis makes a lot more sense than alkalosis, especially considering that you said you ingested a lot of sodium chloride.

What form of magnesium did you take? Was it magnesium chloride?

This thread has a lot of good info on the balance between acidity and alkalinity: "The Primary Sources Of Acidity In The Diet Are Sulfur-containing AAs, Salt, And Phosphoric Acid"

An excess of chloride can be detrimental. Replacing sodium chloride with sodium bicarbonate( which can be mixed into juices to form compounds like sodium citrate, sodium malate, sodium ascorbate, etc.) could help a lot.

yerrag

My high salt intake seems to have caused metabolic alkalosis. Is it possible due to depletion of magnesium reserves? In general, I did a blood sodium test and it showed an upper limit of normal. Also now my palms are sweating and sometimes my appetite is missing. However, the pulse did drop

Apparently, I messed up the interpretation of the tests and I have metabolic acidosis, not alkalosis. I tried taking magnesium and it seems to aggravate the symptoms. It makes me want to breathe slowly and deeply, and it's very strange. I only feel normal when I don't take any electrolytes, and that's weird. I would like to understand why this is so. Tomorrow I think to pass the test for lactate.
How did you determine you have metabolic acidosis?

If you're breathing slowly, isn't that a response to increase CO2 to lower pH (or lower pH) in the form of carbonic acid?

There are many blanks to fill in knowing your condition and context. Perhaps you feel better not taking any electrolytes because your body has adapted to that state, and whatever you are doing is disturbing that balance. Not that your current level of adaptation is normal.

It would help if you start a new thread and in that thread give more information, as it is hard to comment having to fill in the blanks. The advice that comes from incomplete information will not be very helpful.

Daniil

Metabolic acidosis makes a lot more sense than alkalosis, especially considering that you said you ingested a lot of sodium chloride.

What form of magnesium did you take? Was it magnesium chloride?

This thread has a lot of good info on the balance between acidity and alkalinity: "The Primary Sources Of Acidity In The Diet Are Sulfur-containing AAs, Salt, And Phosphoric Acid"

An excess of chloride can be detrimental. Replacing sodium chloride with sodium bicarbonate( which can be mixed into juices to form compounds like sodium citrate, sodium malate, sodium ascorbate, etc.) could help a lot.
It was asparaginat magnesium.
Thank you, I read this thread. As I understand it, a large amount of salt reduces the ability of the kidneys to remove acid. But how then can people eat 50g of salt without consequences?
I took a general urine test and my kidneys seem to be fine.
I haven't tried sodium bicarbonate yet because I'm afraid of getting stomach problems.
I am even more surprised by my strange reaction to magnesium.

Daniil

Perhaps the use of magnesium has something to do with calcium and the fact that calcium helps to remove acidity.

Daniil

How did you determine you have metabolic acidosis?

If you're breathing slowly, isn't that a response to increase CO2 to lower pH (or lower pH) in the form of carbonic acid?

There are many blanks to fill in knowing your condition and context. Perhaps you feel better not taking any electrolytes because your body has adapted to that state, and whatever you are doing is disturbing that balance. Not that your current level of adaptation is normal.

It would help if you start a new thread and in that thread give more information, as it is hard to comment having to fill in the blanks. The advice that comes from incomplete information will not be very helpful.
I've been tested for bicarbonates. He showed me reduced standard bicarbonates(SB) and topical bicarbonates (AB). I also first thought about the symptoms like you, but here Metabolic Acidosis - Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders - MSD Manual Professional Edition it is written that with acidosis, there may be hyperpnea. As I understand it, increasing the CO2 increases the pH.
OK, I'll create a new thread.

yerrag

I've been tested for bicarbonates. He showed me reduced standard bicarbonates(SB) and topical bicarbonates (AB). I also first thought about the symptoms like you, but here Metabolic Acidosis - Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders - MSD Manual Professional Edition it is written that with acidosis, there may be hyperpnea. As I understand it, increasing the CO2 increases the pH.
OK, I'll create a new thread.
The subject of CO2, carbonic acid, and bicarbonates got me confused in the beginning. CO2 can become carbonic acid, and it can also become bicarbonates, or it can also be exhaled and be gone. There is an interplay of different factors. So increasing CO2 does not necessarily lead to increasing pH. This is why the practice of Buteyko has to be taught to most people, as people can overdo it and increase their acidity too much to be dangerous.

Daniil

The subject of CO2, carbonic acid, and bicarbonates got me confused in the beginning. CO2 can become carbonic acid, and it can also become bicarbonates, or it can also be exhaled and be gone. There is an interplay of different factors. So increasing CO2 does not necessarily lead to increasing pH. This is why the practice of Buteyko has to be taught to most people, as people can overdo it and increase their acidity too much to be dangerous.
Created a thread

Sinlinead

What happens if you mix magnesium citrate and magnesium carbonate?

Could you mix magnesium oxide with something else to make it more bioavailable?

Maybe Magnesium carbonate dissolved with either citric acid or ascorbic acid makes a good magnesium supplement.

1617565637132.png

Last edited:

Amazoniac

- A potassium chloride to glycine betaine osmoprotectant switch in the extreme halophile Halorhodospira halophila

Abstract said:
Halophiles utilize two distinct osmoprotection strategies. The accumulation of organic compatible solutes such as glycine betaine does not perturb the functioning of cytoplasmic components, but represents a large investment of energy and carbon. KCl is an energetically attractive alternative osmoprotectant, but requires genome-wide modifications to establish a highly acidic proteome. Most extreme halophiles are optimized for the use of one of these two strategies. Here we examine the extremely halophilic Proteobacterium Halorhodospira halophila and report that medium K+ concentration dramatically alters its osmoprotectant use. When grown in hypersaline media containing substantial K+ concentrations, H. halophila accumulates molar concentrations of KCl. However, at limiting K+ concentrations the organism switches to glycine betaine as its major osmoprotectant. In contrast, the closely related organism Halorhodospira halochloris is limited to using compatible solutes. H. halophila performs both de novo synthesis and uptake of glycine betaine, matching the biosynthesis and transport systems encoded in its genome. The medium K+ concentration (~10 mM) at which the KCl to glycine betaine osmoprotectant switch in H. halophila occurs is near the K+ content of the lake from which it was isolated, supporting an ecological relevance of this osmoprotectant strategy.

@Osmollight

cs3000

Also, don’t know if this has been posted here yet, but...

Effect of Dietary Salt Restriction on Urinary Serotonin and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic Acid Excretion in Man - PubMed

Abstract
Objective: To determine the effect of dietary salt restriction on urinary excretion of serotonin and its principal metabolite 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA) in man.

Design: We studied 16 healthy male volunteers (age range 20-28 years) who ate a standard diet containing 20 mmol/day NaCl, to which either 220 mmol/day NaCl or placebo was added as a supplement for 1 week each, according to a randomized, single-blind crossover design.

Methods: Urinary excretion of serotonin, 5-HIAA, noradrenaline and vanillylmandelic acid (VMA) were measured during the low- and high-salt periods using reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography.

Results: During the low-salt diet, 24-h urinary excretion of serotonin increased by 42%, accompanied by a 52% rise in the excretion of 5-HIAA. Salt restriction also increased noradrenaline excretion by 77% and VMA excretion by 40%. Regression analysis revealed a strong positive relationship between the excretion of serotonin and of noradrenaline (r = 0.84, P < 0.001) and between that of 5-HIAA and of VMA (r = 0.74, P < 0.001).

Conclusions: Salt restriction stimulates the serotonergic system in man. Stimulation of this system, in conjunction with the sympathetic nervous system, may contribute to renal sodium conservation during dietary salt restriction in man.

that's a huge effect, but 20mmol sodium chloride = 1.1688g salt, so crazy low basically noone is on that. would there be much difference from standard low intakes ~4g/5g vs high ~10g+

boris

How can i eat that amount of salt? any tricks or foods to do it

Potatoes, meats and soups taste good with a lot of salt. Other than that just adding a little bit of salt into drinks. Sugared milk coffee and hot chocolate taste good with a little pinch of extra salt.

abady

Potatoes, meats and soups taste good with a lot of salt. Other than that just adding a little bit of salt into drinks. Sugared milk coffee and hot chocolate taste good with a little pinch of extra salt.
Thank you! iam already adding salt with hot cocoa and my coffee it taste so good!.

Birdie

How can i eat that amount of salt? any tricks or foods to do it
I have a tiny bowl of salt from which I take pinches before coffee milk for example. Or before oj etc. ...

theoogabear

View attachment 17454

Perhaps this is why we shouldn’t “drink our calories”?

getting fructose, glucose, and salt from liquid instead of food will lower the osmolarity of that meal, thus creating a weaker thermogenic signal.

Edit: This would also mean its better to drink water / liquid away from meals.
weird, i feel very warm when drinking salted milk. almost instantaneously

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals