Types Of Milk

mamaherrera

I can tell milk is causing me some problems, but I'm loving it with sugar and salt. But someone had said that UP milk can cause problems in some people. Are there any brands out there that are common/easy to find that are not UP, but still come from grass-fed cows??? thanks

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
thanks so much. is there any a bit lower in fat?
I could only find the grassmilk in 2% at my local store. I haven't checked online to see if they carry it in any lower fat amounts. I found organic not grass fed of course in lower fat. The grass milk label said it was nonhomogenized so it's possible some of the fat could be removed. When I've had nonhomogenized before most of the fat would clump up and you could scoop it out easily.

loess

Another option is the Kalona Supernatural brand. I buy their whole milk and skim off the cream myself. They also offer 2% and 1% milk but with added vitamins. It is 100% grass fed, non-homogenized and they claim that pasteurization process they use heats the milk only to the lowest temperature allowed by the FDA. The company is based in Iowa but I have found their milk all throughout the midwest and western USA (many Whole Foods locations carry their products). For some reason the milk used in their cottage cheese is high temperature pasteurized but I have had no reaction to it, works well for me though it is pricier than Daisy cottage cheese so I usually buy that instead or make my own farmers cheese.

OP
M

mamaherrera

funny thing, I just went to a whole foods store, and did buy Kalone supernatural fat free milk. Hopefully it's still grass fed and non -homogenized, but it might be homogenized, I think. when you skim off the cream, does that ensure you get all fat off??? We'll see how I respond. I wish they sold the fat free in bigger sizes, not just quart though, if I end up liking it!

loess

I am pretty certain that all of their milk including the fat-free is non-homogenized. What I do when I buy a gallon of the whole milk is pour it into quart size mason jars and let them settle overnight. Then the next day just open the jar and with a spoon scoop off the cream that has all risen to the surface. Yes, when you skim off the cream this way you essentially get an end result that is equivalent to the fat-free milk, but without the added Vitamin A palmitate. I prefer to stay away from additives like this and instead get vitamin A from liver. It is funny whenever my family sees me skimming off the cream they are astounded..."oh, but the cream is the BEST PART, why would you throw it out?"

OP
M

mamaherrera

I'll keep that in mind. But does vitamin A palmitate give you vitamin A retinol in the body?? Or should I continue to take my nutrisorb A and liver?? Is it not the same? Is it bad per say??? I need more vitamin A usually, but I thought it was good that I was getting that in my milk!

loess

Well it's not that it's necessarily "bad" or "good", it just depends on the milk and the particular individual; sometimes the added Vitamin A and D can cause an allergenic reaction. But if you tolerate it OK, then no big deal at all. Me personally, I would just rather have my milk free of any added things, and I usually get enough vitamin A from eating liver, and have the Nutrisorb A as a backup when I am traveling away from home or don't have access to liver.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
mamaherrera said:
I'll keep that in mind. But does vitamin A palmitate give you vitamin A retinol in the body?? Or should I continue to take my nutrisorb A and liver?? Is it not the same? Is it bad per say??? I need more vitamin A usually, but I thought it was good that I was getting that in my milk!
I have still been using estro-ban which has vitamin A and eating liver while switching over to milk with added vitamins. I would say track the vitamin A on the cronometer but I noticed they don't have a vitamin A supplement listed in the database (at least not in the free version). I also have had the Kalona Supernatural milk before and liked it a lot. It was several months back when I was still having troubles with the added vitamins though. Maybe I'll try that again... I bet you can find several low fat milk options! Most of the milk labels I've looked at claim to contain 10% of the RDA for vitamin A but I'm not sure what that translates into as far as IU/mcg. I've never considered it enough vitamin A to change my liver consumption or supplement regimen personally.

freal

What is the conclusion on UHT milk, is it really that bad as WAPF says. But its very convenient. I tried the raw milk from the vending machine and it was even worse. I was even disapointed with the low temp pasteurized one. The organic ones smell like some weird herbs and flowers.

What do you think of all the studies that were done on rats and cats and the experiments done on two calfs, one fed raw and one pasteurized milk.

http://thebovine.wordpress.com/2010/06/ ... steurized/

OP
M

mamaherrera

so both of you still supplement with vitamin A apart from your liver weekly?

pboy

in my opinion and from experience UHT pasteurized is a bit irritating probably because its slightly burnt/oxidized from the processing, which is done above boiling temperature in a dry environment. Raw milk, and even sometimes the low temp batch pasteurized (such as Kalona mentioned in the topic) are hit or miss for me, they sometimes seem to go off quick or clump in strange ways, so I don't take a chance anymore. Raw and then boiled or heated right before consuming is probably better than straight raw. But regular pasteurized (which is 165 degress for 15 seconds) is actually probably the best. Pasteurized, not homogenized, preferably no added vitamins...added A doesn't seem to be a noticeable deal either way, but added D can be an irritant, and added anything else, gums, milk powder, should be avoided

theres no reason so opt for lowfat milk, milk fat is pre emulsified and has choline attatched, so it doesn't have the potential to be stored and not able to be utilized, unlike free or extracted fats (even butter or cheese). Its pretty unique in that way

jyb

pboy said:
theres no reason so opt for lowfat milk, milk fat is pre emulsified and has choline attatched, so it doesn't have the potential to be stored and not able to be utilized, unlike free or extracted fats (even butter or cheese). Its pretty unique in that way

Milk fat can't be utilized? Hum looks wrong, I don't see where you are coming from.

pboy

jyb said:
pboy said:

Milk fat can't be utilized? Hum looks wrong, I don't see where you are coming from.

I meant no reason to opt for, not so opt for

Im saying milkfat can be utilized when emulsified in milk because it has choline and is preemulsified, where as extracted fats, even butter, are not preemulsified and don't have choline attatched so they are more difficult and slower for the body to move and utilize. Whole milk would be highly unlikely to cause weight gain whereas butter or isolated fats could be overdone easier

OP
M

mamaherrera

but can you find grass-fed cows milk that is pasteurized??? Where do you get milk like that?

quote="pboy"]in my opinion and from experience UHT pasteurized is a bit irritating probably because its slightly burnt/oxidized from the processing, which is done above boiling temperature in a dry environment. Raw milk, and even sometimes the low temp batch pasteurized (such as Kalona mentioned in the topic) are hit or miss for me, they sometimes seem to go off quick or clump in strange ways, so I don't take a chance anymore. Raw and then boiled or heated right before consuming is probably better than straight raw. But regular pasteurized (which is 165 degress for 15 seconds) is actually probably the best. Pasteurized, not homogenized, preferably no added vitamins...added A doesn't seem to be a noticeable deal either way, but added D can be an irritant, and added anything else, gums, milk powder, should be avoided

theres no reason so opt for lowfat milk, milk fat is pre emulsified and has choline attatched, so it doesn't have the potential to be stored and not able to be utilized, unlike free or extracted fats (even butter or cheese). Its pretty unique in that way[/quote]

SQu

Pboy if that's so, if the fat in full cream milk won't store as fat, then I'd like to go back to full cream milk as I don't like the ways they mess with low fat. But didn't RP say that when you have a lot of milk a day (I have up to 2 litres) then the cream in the full milk could be too much? I must say, I'm finding the reasons why we store fat to be fascinating, and to have little (if anything???) to do with 'overeating'. A topic on its own.

pboy

ultimately you have to do anything yourself and see what happens. But yes, from my experience, whole milk doesn't cause weight gain. The only time fat ever causes me to feel full or heavy, which I suspect over time is what causes people to slowly gain weight, is when I eat too many free oils that are not micellated and are choline deficient. Ive researched a lot on digestion, physiology, and have compared everything to personal experience, and then have purposely tried things and seen what happened. Most studies showing people having enough choline, and fats that are preemulsifed, are easier for the person to move and utilize both from the gut but also from the liver or adipose into the cells, even if the fat was created by carbohydrate to fat synthesis...which is why it even helps alcoholics. On top of that, you couldn't drink enough milk because of the fluid volume before getting full and couldn't get fat as a result. I cant guarantee you something 100% and therefore decide what you should or shouldn't buy, but can only offer experience and knowledge based on my experience and research and sort of give insight that can allow you to maybe put something to the test on yourself. I highly doubt one could get fat from whole milk without extra added fats, and in my case it would require intended personal discomfort

SQu

Thank you.I plan to read some physiology. I used to feel nauseous and 'liverish' when cutting fat, immediately relieved by eating liver, more eggs. I tracked it to choline, though theoretically I was getting enough in my diet. I no longer feel that way since peating and seldom want liver anymore.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals