Types Of Milk

Mittir

Filip1993 said:
What about homogenized milk? Is it bad?

Someone asked RP about that and he mentioned there is no problem
with homogenized milk.

tinkerer

I have found the best milk for me to be traditional buttermilk (bainne clábair / bonny clabber), the original healthy lowfat milk (milk minus butter) of my Irish grandparents (they lived into their 80's - 90's) and other pastoral cultures.

Here is a comparison:

Serving size: 1 cup (240ml)

Organic Valley reduced fat 2% milk
Total fat: 5g (8%)

Organic Valley lowfat 1% milk
Total fat: 2.5g (4%)

Farmstead Buttermilk (cultured, organic, "straight from the churn," from jersey cows, the best local milk I have found in my area)
Total fat: 2g (3%)

mt_dreams

Milkfat present in milk & cream still have their membranes intact. Pasteurization does not destroy these membranes. Homogenized does effect these membranes, but in the end the fat is still bound to the liquid, so it ends up being somewhere in-between. The churning of butter destroys these membranes which release the fat from the liquid & protein in cream.

pboy said:
Im saying milkfat can be utilized when emulsified in milk because it has choline and is preemulsified, where as extracted fats, even butter, are not preemulsified and don't have choline attatched so they are more difficult and slower for the body to move and utilize. Whole milk would be highly unlikely to cause weight gain whereas butter or isolated fats could be overdone easier

You hit the nail right on the target. Once this is understood, it takes the paranoia out of drinking full fat milk or cream.

forterpride

ultimately you have to do anything yourself and see what happens. But yes, from my experience, whole milk doesn't cause weight gain. The only time fat ever causes me to feel full or heavy, which I suspect over time is what causes people to slowly gain weight, is when I eat too many free oils that are not micellated and are choline deficient. Ive researched a lot on digestion, physiology, and have compared everything to personal experience, and then have purposely tried things and seen what happened. Most studies showing people having enough choline, and fats that are preemulsifed, are easier for the person to move and utilize both from the gut but also from the liver or adipose into the cells, even if the fat was created by carbohydrate to fat synthesis...which is why it even helps alcoholics. On top of that, you couldn't drink enough milk because of the fluid volume before getting full and couldn't get fat as a result. I cant guarantee you something 100% and therefore decide what you should or shouldn't buy, but can only offer experience and knowledge based on my experience and research and sort of give insight that can allow you to maybe put something to the test on yourself. I highly doubt one could get fat from whole milk without extra added fats, and in my case it would require intended personal discomfort

Pboy. Do you think coconut oil has the same properties as milk fat? I only ask because I have been specifically drinking nonfat milk and then just adding coconut oil to it in the hopes that i was replacing milk fat witha supperior fat that woulnd't make me gain weight as much. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thank you.