Vitamin D / Sugar to protein ratio in milk

Rrr

Hi everyone,

I know it's recommended here that added vitamins in milk should be avoided, because they can be allergenic.

I've been drinking skimmed milk with added vitamin D my whole life and I've never had any problems digesting it. Could I, in my case when the added vitamin D doesn't cause any problems, just keep drinking milk for vitamin D instead of supplementing it?

My another question is about the sugar to protein ratio in milk. I see many posters here adding table sugar to milk to bring the ratio up (e.g. up to 2:1). What is the reasoning behind this?

I like my milk without sugar, I sometimes add some salt, but I usually just drink plain skimmed milk. Am I missing something by not adding sugar to my milk?

-R

tara

Rrr said:
I like my milk without sugar, I sometimes add some salt, but I usually just drink plain skimmed milk. Am I missing something by not adding sugar to my milk?
Probably depends on whether you are getting enough sugar for your personal immediate needs with the milk and other foods you eat.
My guess is that in general it's probably good for everybody for a particular meal to get at least 1:1 carb: protein, that some people would need quite a bit more sugar than that at particular meals, and that overall most people could probably use more sugar than that, though how much more probably varies. Peat has said he doesn't know what the exact optimal ratio is for everyone. He has mentioned equal, and then at other times he has mentioned protein ranging from 80 - 150g depending on state, and most people would need quite a bit more than 150 g carbs to get enough overall calories without going quite fat-heavy. Pboy reckoned he ran best on ~ 6:1 carbs:protein. I probably eat roughly 3 or 4:1 on average, but never less than 1:1 on a meal. If you are trying to load up obn glycogen, or shut down morning stress, higher sugar can be useful. Fruit is generally better than load of sucrose for sugar, if you have suitable fruit that agrees with you available, becasue you get more minerals etc along with it. But if you are trying to incre4ase calorie density because you are having hypothyroid fluid control issues, then adding sugar to milk can help with that (as can the salt you are using).

Sugar can to some extent be protein sparing, so if you want to reduce the inflammatory protein intake, you might want more sugar than protein.

But it really comes down to noticing what serves you personally. If you are paying attention to how you feel with meals/milk etc, or measuring temps and pulse etc, this might give clues about what is good for you. If it tastes good the way you are drinking it, that's probably also a good clue. If I were you, I'd experiment a little, and then just drink it the way that tastes good to you on a particular day.

Personally, I've taken to heart Peat's statement about (IIRC) "a craving for sugar usually indicates a need for sugar." I vary the sugar in my milky coffee according to what I feel like at the time, probably influenced by how much sugar I've been eating in the preceding while.

tara

Rrr said:
I've been drinking skimmed milk with added vitamin D my whole life and I've never had any problems digesting it. Could I, in my case when the added vitamin D doesn't cause any problems, just keep drinking milk for vitamin D instead of supplementing it?
If it agrees with you, I reckon you can probably keep drinking it.
If you have alternatives, you could try them out and see if any of them serve you even better.

OP
R

Rrr

Great replies, thanks for helping me out tara. : )

BingDing

My take on the sugar in milk thing is that the fructose (in fruit sugar/sucrose/glucose+fructose) helps in the absorption and/or metabolism of the glucose (in milk sugar/lactose/glucose+galactose). There are different theories about what happens, none of which I fully grasp, but I've pretty much concluded it's true. Pure glucose isn't recommended, for example.

My take on the vitamins in milk is that the vitamins are in an emulsion and it's the emulsifiers that are problematic. Someone said polysorbate 80 is used. There is a thread about a mouse study where a methylcellulose and a polysorbate emulsifier caused IBS, the thinking is that the emulsifiers act as detergents and remove the mucus lining of the small intestine so the endothelial cells are directly exposed to bacteria (and presumably bacterial endotoxins).

Gums and carrageenan are similar, I believe. So it's more of a long term issue for a young and otherwise healthy person. I've never had IBS but from reading here it's b****.

Nothing is as cheap as commercial milk but Homestead Dairy in the eastern US sells an unhomogenized milk that isn't too bad, you can skim the fat off or siphon the skim milk out of the bottle if you don't want full fat milk.