Toxic Free Coffee Makers/Machines?

Waynish

Any top rated espresso machines and grinders, yes? Remember the bean quality, water quality & hardness too :)

Steve123

So is using a paper coffee filter the safest way to make coffee in terms of what leaches in the coffee? Does the paper filters leach any type of thing into the coffee like maybe a French press with plastic would for example?

And is the process literally just plonk a paper filter into the coffee mug you intend to drink from, put your coffee into the filter, then pour hot water through? If so, that's great!

Would these filters be okay? Or should I look for a specific brand which would sell the safest materials? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...ter+papers&dpPl=1&dpID=51LlGsFJu9L&ref=plSrch

dbh25

This is from a taste perspective, I use a Chemex with a paper filter. I don't know about bad stuff in unfiltered coffee, I just know I didn't like the taste of french press or turkish style coffee.

Frankdee20

This is from a taste perspective, I use a Chemex with a paper filter. I don't know about bad stuff in unfiltered coffee, I just know I didn't like the taste of french press or turkish style coffee.

Yeah, oils do get in, but that may not be why you hated the taste.
French Press can make some of the best tasting brew in my opinion. However, that's not typical. The grind has to be correct, and consistent from particle to particle. The steep time has to be correct, not over extracted, and it does not favor dark roasts. It also is very inefficient, requiring a lot of coffee per ounce of water. This gets expensive. So it's not a practical means of brewing every day. It's extremely unforgiving as well. I'd never recommend it for coffee newbies, or frequent coffee drinking. It's more of a novelty, maybe something you whip out on a Sunday, and execute correctly.

Frankdee20

I hear Chemex, because of their special paper filter, makes some of the smoothest coffee of any method. However, ask yourselves, if considering buying one, how much time you want to dedicate to gingerly swirling water in, waiting for it to funnel down, repeat ? These pour overs require tact.

Frankdee20

Oh yeah, nobody mentioned Siphon Pots/Vacuum pots. I hear these make some pretty special coffee. These are usually glass, but have unique filter design.

Frankdee20

IMG_1674.jpg
Crystal Meth Lab for coffee

dbh25

However, ask yourselves, if considering buying one, how much time you want to dedicate to gingerly swirling water in, waiting for it to funnel down, repeat ? These pour overs require tact.
Seriously, it takes 5 minutes to boil water and pour over.
You can buy a Keurig if that's labor intensive

Frankdee20

Seriously, it takes 5 minutes to boil water and pour over.
You can buy a Keurig if that's labor intensive

Yeah but that requires turning it on, and inserting a pod, ugh, I'm sweating.

Dave Clark

Vacuum pots do make very good coffee. Put the coffee in and wait for it to boil, not hard at all. I just don't like dealing with delicate glasss on a daily basis, so I use it on weekends or special occasions.

Frankdee20

Steve123

Those are fine, unbleached filters, for cone shaped basket. Are you using a cone, flat, or basket ?
Tbh, I don't have a clue lol, I thought i could just plonk one of these filters into a normal coffee mug, put the coffee grains in, pour the hot water over and thats it... So what do i have to buy along with the paper coffee filters?

Frankdee20

Tbh, I don't have a clue lol, I thought i could just plonk one of these filters into a normal coffee mug, put the coffee grains in, pour the hot water over and thats it... So what do i have to buy along with the paper coffee filters?

The actual base, the filter goes in, be it ceramic, plastic, metal, glass. Then of course, these each have a shape. Some top rated brands in the pour over market, like Hario, or Kellita, have their own filters ensuring a perfect fit. Of course, this method offers a million different products, variations, and cup sizes on Amazon. I suppose you could technically just hold the paper over the cup, and pour 200 degree water over it. Lol. I think the base, allows for control when slowly pouring your water in, and allowing it to drip down to your carafe, or mug.

Frankdee20

IMG_1675.jpg
This is the Hario V-60 base in ceramic, it also comes in other materials. Sits right over your mug. Slip your filter inside, and brew. Pretty simple clean up also with these methods. The only downside is limited capacity brewing.

Frankdee20

Maybe you could buy a coffee from Charbucks online and have it delivered

Dialing the number, and speaking to someone is way too archaic, and for the little people. As I fan myself, and swirl my Cabernet before I whiff.

Steve123

Dialing the number, and speaking to someone is way too archaic, and for the little people. As I fan myself, and swirl my Cabernet before I whiff.
Haha, Thanks a lot for telling me this Frank, i would have just got the paper filters and would have been pretty disappointed.. Would buying the Hario V-60 and resting it over a mug with the paper filter and pouring in the hot water literally be the same type of thing as the chemex pour method apart from the fact you'll get a lot more coffee out of a chemex?
Planning on buying this Hario: Hario V60 Glass Coffee Dripper 02 - White
One of the glass mugs: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tescoma-40...1504734443&sr=8-23&keywords=coffee+glass+mugs
And then the Unbleached paper filters: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pack-100-U...04734496&sr=1-1&keywords=coffee+paper+filters

Am i all sorted from here? :p:

ScottyVP

I use a syphon coffee maker by cona that makes great coffee, I boil my water in a Le Creuset stove top kettle if I'm lazy and do a French press. I threw away my plastic electric kettle as it was ugly and made the water seem 'harder' than the stove top.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals