Toxic Free Coffee Makers/Machines?

ChrisRay

Hi Everyone,
Can we start a list of toxic free coffee machines/makers here?? Anyone personally using one?

pboy

very hard to find man, you might be able to find a good percolator that uses a non leaching steel...if not you'll have to just brew it yourself in a glass or ceramic vessel or something, just using your own hot water and filtering device

LaPavoni machines should be all metal.

seeyeff

I doubt you'll find a reasonably-priced, non-toxic coffee "machine" but there are still plenty of non-toxic brewing methods. Some suggestions:

1. Pour-over Method With Glass Equipment.

Boil water in a glass kettle ($9) — just don't use the plastic whistle top.

Use the pour-over brewing method with paper filters in a ceramic or glass Chemex coffeemaker ($41), or a mason jar.

Danny Roddy has a brewing video where he uses that exact glass kettle and a glass chemex, I think.

2. Vietnamese Coffee Filter

Boil water in glass kettle. Brew in a vietnamese metal coffee filter ($6.50).

Similar to pour over method, but no paper filters required. It's like a small stainless steel pot with holes in the bottom. Here's a video of the brewing process.

There's a bit of a learning curve in figuring out how much coffee grounds to use and how to use the damper device inside so that you don't end up with grounds in your glass.

I made a post about the traditional recipe here: viewtopic.php?p=94340

3. Buy Cold-Brewed Concentrated Coffee

Here's what Trader Joe's version looks like. There are other brands selling similar products though. Some even available online but more expensive.

Yes, it comes in a plastic bottle, but from my (admittedly brief) research on cold-brewing the brewing probably happens in glass or stainless steel — and it's cold water that is used so there would be less leaching from the containing material in all phases of the process.

I made a post about a "recipe" for mixing this with milk and simple syrup here: viewtopic.php?p=94326

jyb

Such_Saturation said:

The presser tube has rubber. However it is only in contact with the liquid for a few seconds. The container is hard plastic, but you don't have to leave the liquid sitting long in the tube.

For this reason, I sort of feel like aeropress might not be worse than an average stove coffee maker. A stove coffee maker won't necessarily have the cadmium free stainless steel (I did the magnet test on one and it seems only half of it has the right steel), yet it will be in contact with steaming hot water for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightbringer

Such_Saturation said:
It is BPA and phthalate free. The quick clean-up and smooth grit free coffee make it a definite winner in simplicity and convenience. I'm not sure how it would rate on toxicity but as jyb mentioned, its in contact with the liquid for less than a minute.

Last edited by a moderator:

treelady

We recently switched to Sowden. Not automatic, not ideal but no plastic. We don't use the ceramic pot(it cools the coffee), we just use the stainless filter in a pot of boiling water with coarse ground coffee so there is less sediment.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited:

MeMoni

I have a BRU french press, made of stainless steel. There are plastic parts but they practically do not touch the infusion at all.

Ulla

What do you think of coffee pot made of brass or copper?
220px-T%C3%BCrk_Kahvesi_-_Bakir_Cezve.jpg

I usually make turkish coffee or the one from cafetiere.

Ideonaut

Related subject: I'm wondering what some of you Peatlanders might think of the claims for this allegedly toxin-free coffee and "brain octane oil" that he says is 18 times stronger than coconut oil? It sounds pretty Peaty, other than the idea that it gets you burning fat all day. The guy's site that the video comes from: Recipe: How To Make Bulletproof Coffee

seano

What do you think of coffee pot made of brass or copper?

I usually make turkish coffee or the one from cafetiere.

Turkish coffee & moka pots destroy the flavors from good coffee.

Cafetieres (aka French Press, Plunger, ...) are nice but not good for traveling and a pain for clean-up. Also have to find one with no plastic parts.

I love my aeropress for the taste, flexibility, ease of cleanup, and ease of traveling but sadly it is made of questionable materials. I often use a metal filter instead of the paper.

Pour-over ceramic is the ultimate, but requires more patience and a bit of skill to get it right & consistent.

No need to buy cold-brew if trying to save on $$$. It's incredibly easy to make. I do it in a glass pitcher, or in my stainless steel thermos when on backpacking trips.

Frankdee20

very hard to find man, you might be able to find a good percolator that uses a non leaching steel...if not you'll have to just brew it yourself in a glass or ceramic vessel or something, just using your own hot water and filtering device

This is a great question, and I ended up buying an old fifties Pyrex glass percolator, it did have metal coming in contact with hot water at the top of basket. You can definitely make good coffee in it using paper basket filters, and monitoring your gas flame. eBay 50-100 dollars.

Frankdee20

I also use a stainless steel MOKA pot from Ilsa brand, Italy. That's unfiltered coffee though, with more oil content.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals