Toxic Free Coffee Makers/Machines?

Frankdee20

In my opinion French Presses suck unless you find a quality commercial grinder that evenly leaves Coarse grind. Cheap **** grinders leave inconsistent particle size. The result is muddy coffee, gross. The pour over shits are just too cumbersome and fussy to deal with 4-5 times a day.

Steve123

Guys, I cannot find a 100% glass with minimal stainless steel french press/cafetiere coffee maker.. So the best i've found are the following.. what would be better.. a 100% 304 Stainless steel cafetiere/french press OR a mainly glass cafetiere/french press with smaller amounts of stainless steel and bpa free plastic from the lid? Thanks!

Also do not want to spend loads on Chemex etc as its my first time ever drinking coffee so want to test things out first.

Pompadour

And i like to use turkish pot at home to brue a coffee :

image-87.jpg

squanch

I've been using a ceramic coffee dripper like this for a few years now.
It's very cheap with minimal clean up afterwards. If you use fresh ground coffee and get the timing right, it tastes great too.
71MEFvXWFTL._SX355_.jpg

The oils in coffee do have some effect on cholesterol (1) (2). Not sure how significant or harmful this actually is. Paper filters remove most of these oils, while brewing methods without a paper filter do not.

Last edited:

Steve123

It's very cheap with minimal clean up afterwards. If you use fresh ground coffee and get the timing right, it tastes great too.
71MEFvXWFTL._SX355_.jpg

The oils in coffee do have some effect on cholesterol (1) (2). Not sure how significant or harmful this actually is. Paper filters remove most of these oils, while brewing methods without a paper filter do not.
How about using this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coffee-Mak...qid=1504621540&sr=8-9&keywords=coffee+filters ? Thats probably even more of a win win right? If someone has used one could they chip in maybe say if its easy/quick and convenient to use ? I have bought this coffee so would this be okay to use with it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cafédirect...qid=1504621728&sr=1-1&keywords=organic+coffee ? Would using this stainless steel filter be the same as using your paper filters?

squanch

How about using this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coffee-Mak...qid=1504621540&sr=8-9&keywords=coffee+filters ? Thats probably even more of a win win right? If someone has used one could they chip in maybe say if its easy/quick and convenient to use ? I have bought this coffee so would this be okay to use with it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cafédirect...qid=1504621728&sr=1-1&keywords=organic+coffee ? Would using this stainless steel filter be the same as using your paper filters?
Those stainless steel filter, just like a french press, will definitely let most of the oils through into your coffee and therefore have an effect on your cholesterol levels if you drink enough.
I don't know how much of an issue that would actually be (I assume it really depends on the context, maybe it's even beneficial in some situations), someone smarter than me has to answer that.

Using a paper filter in a ceramic coffee dripper would be one of the most "neutral" ways to prepare coffee.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

71MEFvXWFTL._SX355_.jpg

Good idea. I might use this for traveling. My Chemex rocks for everyday home use. I ended up using plastic French Press for traveling but seriously bad taste (for same coffee) compared to Chemex. This looks close. Thanks for weighing in - you gave me a new idea :):

squanch

Good idea. I might use this for traveling. My Chemex rocks for everyday home use. I ended up using plastic French Press for traveling but seriously bad taste (for same coffee) compared to Chemex. This looks close. Thanks for weighing in - you gave me a new idea :)
They make those in tiny sizes too ("101" or "size 1" would be the smallest paper filters here in Germany, no idea what it's called in other countries). Great if you're traveling and just need 1 cup.
g_melitta_filter_1_gr.jpg

Frankdee20

I'm quite happy with Bialetti stainless steel espreeso maker - any other thoughts?

Bialetti : stainless pots

Yeah this is cool, as it's stainless and not aluminum. I have an Ilsa stainless. They don't make true espresso though, these are Moka pots. They also allow some oils in the final brew. Some people may like paper filter, thinner brew.

Frankdee20

Those stainless steel filter, just like a french press, will definitely let most of the oils through into your coffee and therefore have an effect on your cholesterol levels if you drink enough.
I don't know how much of an issue that would actually be (I assume it really depends on the context, maybe it's even beneficial in some situations), someone smarter than me has to answer that.

Using a paper filter in a ceramic coffee dripper would be one of the most "neutral" ways to prepare coffee.

I agree, or you can buy the stainless V60 ones. Funny you mentioned cholesterol, I mostly drink unfiltered coffee and I have 230 cholesterol.

Frankdee20

I agree, or you can buy the stainless V60 ones. Funny you mentioned cholesterol, I mostly drink unfiltered coffee and I have 230 cholesterol.

French press also makes terrible muddy coffee unless you have a quality grinder that consistently leaves course grind. It's those inconsistencies in the grind that allows finer particles through, taste like ***t.

Frankdee20

What about the glass Pyrex percolators from the 60's on EBay ? Those are excellent. You can take the only metal part off during the brew (top of basket stem) and leave the special paper filter over grinds. The filter has a flat shape with four holes on the corners to slip over the stem. So you can take that metal ***t right off people!

Steve123

Right then guys, bit confused now.. Is this cholesterol issue with the oils from the french press an issue? Could anyone guide me to some of them paper filters that are safe and do not leach in the UK? Is there anything to look for when buying them? What is the quickest method of making coffee of all?

Frankdee20

Right then guys, bit confused now.. Is this cholesterol issue with the oils from the french press an issue? Could anyone guide me to some of them paper filters that are safe and do not leach in the UK? Is there anything to look for when buying them? What is the quickest method of making coffee of all?

I don't know how significant unfiltered coffee oils impact cholesterol, but it has been looked at. Studies on this relationship exist. The French press only has a fine metallic mesh as a filter, not paper. So oils will come through into final product. However, some people think these oils contribute to a robust flavor and prefer unfiltered coffee (espresso, moka pot, French press, etc). Paper filters for the French press do exist by one company and they are expensive, seemingly cumbersome and fussy though.

Frankdee20

You can buy natural un bleached paper for filtered methods though, if your concerned about chemicals in it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals