Thoughts On Niacin For Lipids ?

Frankdee20

Let us put aside the bias regarding Niacin and Histamine. I do not supplement it, but if you had high Triglycerides and Cholesterol, and do not want medications, what the hell would you do ?

I am not going to take Fish Oil but will consider Niacin, both are proven to help here, and must be better than taking FDA chemicals.

Immediate release Niacin is the way to go right ? I would only start with 100MG and work from there. When does it really become toxic ? Thanks.

paymanz

at some point it suppresses ffa to a degree that triggers stress reaction , that is why it may have a rebound effect. dont know what dosage can cause that(probably grams)

TeaRex14

I'm pretty sure the flushing only occurs in higher doses. Of course, I don't exactly know the therapeutic dose for lipid improvement either. I'd recommend starting out on the low side, around 100-200mgs. There is limited evidence suggesting quercetin supplementation along with niacin can reduce flushing symptoms. Prostaglandin inhibitors can also reduce the flushing side effects of niacin as well, aspirin anyone?

All this to say, niacin doesn't necessarily have to be your only option here. High triglycerides suggest the liver is over burdened, and cannot filter serum fats properly. Anything that increases liver performance is likely to help, caffeine, choline, MCTs, more protein, etc. Garlic has been shown in a few studies to lower triglycerides as well. Playing around with your carbohydrate intake can help too. I'm not suggesting a low carb diet, but if you've been eating 1600 carb calories (400 grams) everyday, try reducing that to around 1000-1200 (250-300 grams) everyday and see if that helps. This also has the added benefit of reducing caloric intake, possibly allowing you to lose some bodyfat which is the biggest assistant to lowering triglycerides.

Cholesterol is a whole other animal entirely, arguably not even beneficial to reduce. Some things that would do the trick though are activated charcoal (10 grams daily), thyroid hormone, pregnenolone, and starch based lowfat diets. Restricting SFA intake might help as well, since we're really pro-saturated fat around here, we often never talk about some of the potential cons. Saturated fats down regulate our LDL receptors, not necessarily a bad thing, but if you're trying to improve your status on blood work you may need to restrict fat intake.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

The flushing effect of Niacin does not bother me much, it’s quite pleasant actually. I read that chronic alcohol use can deplete Niacin. So maybe I’ll try it

TeaRex14

Yeah it's worth a shot, it's got a good chance of helping the thing you're using it for, plenty of evidence supports it. If you are at all concerned about flushing/histamine taking some aspirin with niacin would help, or quercetin.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Yes that’s what I read about Aspirin. Not a fan of it anymore. Recently posted something about it. I think it lowers cortisol too much, or I do not have enough Thyroid to back it up. It really drops me down and I get so blah and robotic. It used to provide a nice boost, but probably something best taken at night now. I have no personality when I take that stuff. No libido, no enthusiasm, not sure what it’s doing

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals