The Great Pupil Size Thread!

FredSonoma

Okay, recently I have become very interested in pupil size.

What got me interested:

1. I have noticed that my pupils are very small. Thus, I am concerned about whether or not this is "good" or "bad."

2. People on certain drugs have changes in pupil size.

For example, people on LSD apparently have very large pupils. However, so do people on MDMA. One supposedly lowers serotonin while the other supposedly raises it. Additionally, a symptom of high serotonin is supposedly sensitivity to light - I can personally attest that if I eat starch or other things that bother my stomach, I will become very sensitive to light. Could this be because it makes pupils larger, thus letting in more light? However, it does seem that people in good health often have larger pupils? Or no?

So what do you know about pupil size? Could small pupils possibly mean low fear? Could large pupils possibly be a sign of good health because of low serotonin? Is serotonin even related in the slightest? Why do girls with large pupils seem to be somewhat more attractive? Is the same true for men, or possibly the opposite? Why do people with very small pupils look kind of untrustworthy?

Hugh Johnson

What got me interested:

1. I have noticed that my pupils are very small. Thus, I am concerned about whether or not this is "good" or "bad."

For example, people on LSD apparently have very large pupils. However, so do people on MDMA. One supposedly lowers serotonin while the other supposedly raises it. Additionally, a symptom of high serotonin is supposedly sensitivity to light - I can personally attest that if I eat starch or other things that bother my stomach, I will become very sensitive to light. Could this be because it makes pupils larger, thus letting in more light? However, it does seem that people in good health often have larger pupils? Or no?

So what do you know about pupil size? Could small pupils possibly mean low fear? Could large pupils possibly be a sign of good health because of low serotonin? Is serotonin even related in the slightest? Why do girls with large pupils seem to be somewhat more attractive? Is the same true for men, or possibly the opposite? Why do people with very small pupils look kind of untrustworthy?
Large pupils signal interest. Stimulants tend to enlarge pupils. Downers tend to shrink them. Pupil size is used as a proxy for arousal. People with small pupils probably are not interested in you, so if they are talking to you they want something.

Maybe it's just low stress hormones. Could be a sign of low activation of sympathetic nervous system.

DaveFoster

My pupils have always been large. People think I'm high all the time.

When I see small pupils in a girl's eyes, I just walk away. It's disinterest.

OP
F

FredSonoma

Large pupils signal interest. Stimulants tend to enlarge pupils. Downers tend to shrink them. Pupil size is used as a proxy for arousal. People with small pupils probably are not interested in you, so if they are talking to you they want something.

Maybe it's just low stress hormones. Could be a sign of low activation of sympathetic nervous system.

Okay, so if mine are really small, that would generally be a good thing right? Maybe not in terms of people trusting me but in terms of having good health / low stress hormones?

OP
F

FredSonoma

A few additional things I have noticed - very person I've asked in real life (maybe 10+ now) has pupils that are about 1/3 of their iris. Additionally, I looked up some famous people I imagine have pretty good health - Vladimir Putin, Elon Musk, Donald Trump, and some good-looking actors, and they all have pupils that are about 1/3 of their iris.

THEN I went and looked at Danny Roddy's pupils - and his look just like mine! Extremely constricted, maybe just 1/6 of his iris. Look here:

Something about them looks kind of "lifeless." Any thoughts?

meatbag

I thinks its the light in his face
24FF01.png

snowboard111

I might be wrong but given how the size of the pupil is always changing given different stimulus, I don't think it's much of an indicator of good health vs. bad health...
Maybe how you respond to stimulus will affect the size of the pupil but I think it as more to do with your mental state, mood, etc.

In my opinion, a better indicator is the sclera (white part)... If I remember correctly Peat talk about it is article about rosacea and wrote that veiny eyes is a sign of high estrogen.

tara

A few additional things I have noticed - very person I've asked in real life (maybe 10+ now) has pupils that are about 1/3 of their iris.
No doubt there can be effects from metabolism and interest and recently ingested substances, but isn't the main thing affecting pupil size just how much light is shining in them at the time? Do your pupils seem small when you are in a dimly lit room too, or only when you are under bright lights? I imagine public photos of famous people are often taken under fairly strong light?

OP
F

FredSonoma

No doubt there can be effects from metabolism and interest and recently ingested substances, but isn't the main thing affecting pupil size just how much light is shining in them at the time? Do your pupils seem small when you are in a dimly lit room too, or only when you are under bright lights? I imagine public photos of famous people are often taken under fairly strong light?
Yes I agree they are usually in fairly strong light - which would make me think they should be even smaller. When I compare to my friends we are in the same light, and I have yet to find someone who has pupils even as close to as small as mine.

Waynish

What got me interested:

I think to be useful, we need to start differentiating where serotonin is raised and for how long. This is even more true if we don't like the receptor theory - so while we put "receptor" in quotes, we should also be careful to state where serotonin is increased and for what duration of time.

shepherdgirl

IIRC Aldosterol can control the sphincter muscles in the eye. The pupil test is supposed to tell you if your aldosterone level is sufficient and/or indicate adrenal health, but I have no idea if it's accurate.

When I would take diamant my pupils would get tiny and my voice would get a little deeper. Currently im getting red eyes from lack of sleep. @FredSonoma I did feel lack of fear on diamant

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals