Eating Disorders, Chronic Disease And The Pursuit Of Health

rob

To preface this, at school I was the typical high-achieving pupil driven by strong all-or-nothing perfectionist traits in those areas I chose to put my efforts into. I was high energy and mentally overexcitable, that is, on subjects I found interesting I built up a lot of mental inertia and became intense – still struggle with this. Anyway, at some point, I turned my attention to my own physical health and studied nutrition in my spare time.

Long story short, I found biochemistry very intellectually stimulating – complex systems and lots of unanswered questions that require creative problem solving. I found motivation as my increasing knowledge/awareness compounded existing fears and instilled new ones around food and drink, health in general, that I wanted to avoid. Whilst, my perfectionism motivated me by painting lofty enough, socially-desirable goals that I wanted to obtain – all the while reminding me how far short I fell.

Ultimately, severe orthorexia set in and undereating followed as everything started to look like it had problems with it depending on what I read/who I spoke to. After years of that, I loosened up briefly but quickly got into problems as I veered into bodybuilding thinking I was being healthy. Unfortunately, it was just another home for my orthorexia and perfectionism as exercise and food became regimented.

I now have Crohn’s disease (limited to my colon). This has forced me to rest and take things slowly. I’ve learnt how intolerant my body is of vigorous exercise and how my body reacts to foods/drinks, irrespective of what other people say.

Indeed, I have let go of on an awful lot on the nutrition front and my daily diet, depending on perspective, is the ‘unhealthiest’ it has been for many years. However, my health markers are now normal and mentally I’m infinitely healthier, which I believe has profound physiological benefits.

I must say, I’m not entirely reformed on the mental front, there’s still some yo-yoing. I often get twitchy, think about the biochemistry of it all, get worried I might be doing myself harm and fall back into more restrictive, conventionally ‘healthier’ pattern. Also the lure of some of my old perfectionist health and fitness goals probably lurks in there. However, mostly, it doesn’t last more than a few days or so; I find I become more stressed and unhappy as time passes and I have more GI issues.

This leads me to wonder the following:

Whether our very pursuit of health ends up costing us too much mentally? Whether true mental health can only be found in 'letting go'?

Other healthy populations, such as certain tribes, don't try to be healthy. Their community simply eats and lives in a way from day one that seems to confer benefit. Unlike us, there's no ideals or worries motivating them to be this way or conflicting desires creating cognitive dissonance.

Indeed, it feels in our society the pursuit of health can too readily play to ours fears, vanity and perfectionist tendencies. Something related industries only work to compound through the imagery and narratives they use.

These days I'm certainly concerned by the overly simplistic nutritionalisation – not a word but, hey, hopefully you know what I mean – of food and drink. The sharing of food and drink is an important social ritual, it brings people together and helps them feel connected. Moreover, food and drink is nostalgia and pleasure, it’s an important psychological comfort blanket that protects us from the huge amount of stress life can put on us. All in all, it has a huge complex of benefits beyond its mere nutritional content, which we can easily overlook when trying to work out what are the ‘best’ things to eat and drink.

Last edited:

somuch4food

I've come to similar conclusions.

Whether our very pursuit of health ends up costing us too much mentally? Whether true mental health can only be found in 'letting go'?

As the saying goes, ignorance is bliss. In our current world, we are bombarded with so much information whether we want it or not. All knowledge can lead to more stress. It can be because there is too much to process, it can be from fears generated by the new knowledge... We shouldn't be taking in information and then start to do things, we should be doing things and seek knowledge when we're stuck. That's how children learn, they just do stuff and make mistakes, yet schools work exactly the other way around.

I'm currently in a "letting go" phase where I try to just be and stop seeking to do always more. Doing enough to have a comfortable life that fits my values is what I'm aiming for. Success is a never ending quest anyway.

My diet is not perfect anymore, nor is my health, but I want to live now. I do not want to be my healthiest so that I can live longer (not that I know for sure it would lead to a longer life anyway), I want to enjoy my life as it happens before my eyes. Worrying about the past or the future does not bring much value to overall health. Hell, my grandmother is 83, has many minor health issues, but she can still enjoy her life since she never stopped doing stuff and helping others. I think the social aspect is often forgotten in our modern world, but it's a big part of a healthy life.

Tarmander

We are all trying to rise up hierarchies...whether that is academic performance, job performance...bedroom performance ;). What works in one field often does not translate well into another...or it translates great. Treating our bodies like we treat our jobs and vice versa is not going to work out well.

thomas00

True mental health goes hand in hand with the rest of our health, letting go could be part of that but I think that health problems can make that pretty hard. I don't think neuroticism and health-worry are a matter of habit as much psychologists like to think. When metabolism is good, you're calm. Psychologists and meditation enthusiasts get uppity and say you can't reduce consciousness to biology...it can't be reduced to mere thought either. Nobody would meditate if it made them feel bad.

Certainly the pursuit of health as most people go about it is doing far more harm than good. This 'self improvement' culture is thoroughly toxic. 'Always be better'....why not just get a whip and hit yourself 300 times a day

These days I'm certainly concerned by the overly simplistic nutritionalisation – not a word but, hey, hopefully you know what I mean – of food and drink. The sharing of food and drink is an important social ritual, it brings people together and helps them feel connected.

Yeah that's a real cancer that is prevalent in the online health world. As are wild claim that diet can address all of these issues people are experiencing and anything pharmaceutical is toxic. It's created a lot orthorexia and eating disorders.

OP
R

rob

My diet is not perfect anymore, nor is my health, but I want to live now. I do not want to be my healthiest so that I can live longer (not that I know for sure it would lead to a longer life anyway), I want to enjoy my life as it happens before my eyes.

Well put.

A healthy life, no matter how much we try to ‘perfect’ our diet, exercise, supplements etc., is never guaranteed. In addition, medical research is sadly abound with significant methodological flaws and, thus, our ability to scientifically know what’s best is very limited. And, worst of all, our attempts to minimise perceived risk often takes away from living.

The fact is, often the more we try to control the more we are intolerant of uncertainty and the more we hide from real life, which is inherently uncertain because it’s such an imperfect, chaotic thing. Maybe we shouldn’t be prioritising a ‘healthy’ existence as such, but a ‘life-full’ one that works on celebrating the most of each experience, preferably with others... or maybe that’s one too many made-up words too far :):

somuch4food

True mental health goes hand in hand with the rest of our health, letting go could be part of that but I think that health problems can make that pretty hard. I don't think neuroticism and health-worry are a matter of habit as much psychologists like to think. When metabolism is good, you're calm. Psychologists and meditation enthusiasts get uppity and say you can't reduce consciousness to biology...it can't be reduced to mere thought either. Nobody would meditate if it made them feel bad.

I agree. It's certainly not completely psychological. The body and the mind influence each other.

I was a mess last summer while attempting clean eating since I was not providing my body with what it needs to thrive. I was fidgety and couldn't focus much on work. That was new to me since I've always been a calm composed person. I wouldn't say it's metabolism that makes you calm though, it's probably good brain chemistry and living in accordance to your own values. Metabolism will mostly affect how far you can go, but I believe you can be calm with a lower metabolism, you just won't be able to accomplish as much as someone with a higher one.

OP
R

rob

I agree. It's certainly not completely psychological. The body and the mind influence each other.

I was a mess last summer while attempting clean eating since I was not providing my body with what it needs to thrive. I was fidgety and couldn't focus much on work. That was new to me since I've always been a calm composed person. I wouldn't say it's metabolism that makes you calm though, it's probably good brain chemistry and living in accordance to your own values. Metabolism will mostly affect how far you can go, but I believe you can be calm with a lower metabolism, you just won't be able to accomplish as much as someone with a higher one.

Yep, I certainly know when I’m at my calmness I feel my healthiest on so many levels. When I am stressed, no matter what I eat my digestion is off. Like you, one thing my ‘clean eating’ pursuit never did for me was increasing calmness. Sadly on reflection, I remember days of not going out with family and friends because I was worried about what I could eat, eating out and fretting over the menu, always thinking I might be doing something wrong etc. etc.

Jennifer

@rob — I'm sorry for your struggles, but excellent post! I believe there is great wisdom in knowing when to hold on and when to let go. In my experience, things get complicated when we've been following someone else's compass — other people's beliefs, fears, needs and desires — and inccured damage as a result. For me, the biggest challenge, even more so than the physical damage, has been releasing those beliefs and the energy of them that I've allowed to manipulate my mind and body. A main goal of mine has been to rebuild my spine and I came to the realization that in order to do so I must first have one, which means standing firm in honoring my beliefs, needs and desires.

OP
R

rob

Certainly the pursuit of health as most people go about it is doing far more harm than good. This 'self improvement' culture is thoroughly toxic. 'Always be better'....why not just get a whip and hit yourself 300 times a day

Yeah that's a real cancer that is prevalent in the online health world. As are wild claim that diet can address all of these issues people are experiencing and anything pharmaceutical is toxic. It's created a lot orthorexia and eating disorders.

I think a lot of the problem we have in nutrition/medical science is an epistemological one. There’s so much we just don’t know.

As I said in my other post, the field is mired in flawed research, which some research bodies are trying their best to correct but it’s going to an extremely long and painstaking process.

What I do know is what makes me feel good in any given moment, what gives my life meaning, what I value etc. Akin to what @somuch4food was saying, living life in accordance with those things is maybe what needs to be prioritised whilst also ‘letting go’ to the deep imperfections of the physical self and life in general.

OP
R

rob

@rob — I'm sorry for your struggles, but excellent post! I believe there is great wisdom in knowing when to hold on and when to let go. In my experience, things get complicated when we've been following someone else's compass — other people's beliefs, fears, needs and desires — and inccured damage as a result. For me, the biggest challenge, even more so than the physical damage, has been releasing those beliefs and the energy of them that I've allowed to manipulate my mind and body. A main goal of mine has been to rebuild my spine and I came to the realization that in order to do so I must first have one, which means standing firm in honoring my beliefs, needs and desires.

Yes, wisdom I guess mixed in with the courage to consistently go against your previously held beliefs. Honestly, I still struggle with the latter.

As case in point, last year I still had a lot of intestinal inflammation. I’d seemingly tried every IBD-related diet under the sun with pitiful results so I thought I would try something different. I had this idea around mitochondria and bioenergetics - reason I joined the forum as I saw similar thinking from some of the members. Anyway, I identified stress as having significant repercussions along these lines so I thought I’ll lower that by doing the one thing I hadn’t tried to do: not worry about my diet.

I quit my latest diet attempt (think it was the whole foods plant based diet) and at the same time reasoned I would support things with b vits, magnesium and, in particular, nicotinamide riboside.

Anyway, after 24 hours my major symptom (GI bleeding) vanished. 48 hours later still absolutely nothing and still no other GI issues. Worry should go back to old diet as ‘healthier’. Go back and after a day or so start getting first signs of GI discomfort. Fruitlessly persist and end up going back to eat-whatever-I-fancy diet and things quiet in down again. Think that’s interesting and continue for months like that. On occasion, I try to go healthier again and everytime my health declines.

Anyway, my IBD nurse gets hold of me and wants calprotectin done - measures colon-specific inflammation -alongside usual blood tests, which are all showing normal.

Eventually get calprotectin tests and it had completelynormalised. Depressing thing is, I wasn’t actually too happy. I wanted the way I had to be eating to be proven bad for me because it went against what I considered healthy.

With subsequent testing showing everything still great, I’ve been forced to reevaluate my thoughts and understanding majorly, which has been hard and, admittedly, I still don’t know what to think at times.

Jennifer

@rob — That's awesome! Good for you for having the courage to let go like that. I'm fascinated with how the mind affects health, basically what Bruce Lipton calls the biology of belief, so I can understand your positive results eating whatever you fancy. Even Ray has talked about how mental stress affects the intestines.

I totally get not wanting your new way of eating to work. I felt the same way when I let go of previously held dietary rules. For me it has to do with control. Even though I thrive on freedom, I dealt with some very mature situations at a young age and the one thing that I felt was in my locus of control was what I ate, and it continued into adulthood.

Letting go of dietary rules meant letting go of control and with that, my safety net. It's still something I have to practice daily because I'm human and naturally have times I feel off, and this acts as validation for my fears — that I'm making a mistake not following the "science." I just put on an empowering song and it strengthens my resolve. :)

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes, wisdom I guess mixed in with the courage to consistently go against your previously held beliefs. Honestly, I still struggle with the latter.

As case in point, last year I still had a lot of intestinal inflammation. I’d seemingly tried every IBD-related diet under the sun with pitiful results so I thought I would try something different. I had this idea around mitochondria and bioenergetics - reason I joined the forum as I saw similar thinking from some of the members. Anyway, I identified stress as having significant repercussions along these lines so I thought I’ll lower that by doing the one thing I hadn’t tried to do: not worry about my diet.

I quit my latest diet attempt (think it was the whole foods plant based diet) and at the same time reasoned I would support things with b vits, magnesium and, in particular, nicotinamide riboside.

Anyway, after 24 hours my major symptom (GI bleeding) vanished. 48 hours later still absolutely nothing and still no other GI issues. Worry should go back to old diet as ‘healthier’. Go back and after a day or so start getting first signs of GI discomfort. Fruitlessly persist and end up going back to eat-whatever-I-fancy diet and things quiet in down again. Think that’s interesting and continue for months like that. On occasion, I try to go healthier again and everytime my health declines.

Anyway, my IBD nurse gets hold of me and wants calprotectin done - measures colon-specific inflammation -alongside usual blood tests, which are all showing normal.

Eventually get calprotectin tests and it had completelynormalised. Depressing thing is, I wasn’t actually too happy. I wanted the way I had to be eating to be proven bad for me because it went against what I considered healthy.

With subsequent testing showing everything still great, I’ve been forced to reevaluate my thoughts and understanding majorly, which has been hard and, admittedly, I still don’t know what to think at times.
People with IBD, celiac and other GI disorders seem particularly vulnerable to developing issues around food. It can be quite challenging to manage without going off in the weeds. Thanks for sharing your beautiful story.

OP
R

rob

@Blossom thanks :) I think anyone with serious disease, even if recovered, can develop issues around food and drink. To an extent, I think it's natural, people just want to avoid things going wrong and look to the stuff they can control.

@Jennifer yes, I think control is a massive thing. It plays directly into intolerance of uncertainty which I know from psychology papers correlates with poor mental health.

----

I think I should probably emphasise at this point that I’m not saying all IBD is simply stress and people just need to chill. I know from research they’ve managed to induce IBD symptoms in animals through all manner of means.

However, I do know stress is not helpful. Proper research is now coming out showing how, for instance, corticotrophin-releasing hormone can acutely and potently increase intestinal permeability via mast cell activation. Likewise, mechanisms by which psychological stress adversely affects mitochondria have been delineated. One study showed that after just 5 minutes of exposing human test subjects to a stressful event circulating mitochondrial DNA doubled within 30 minutes. And another study has shown the mitochondria DNA alerts the immune system to danger - it activates pattern recognition receptors probably because mitochondria are thought to be bacterial in origin. Pretty easy connect-the-dots exercise right there.

Obviously for me my particular history suggested that stress – both anxiety and overexcitement – might play a particularly significant factor, especially as there are no other family cases of the disease. In fact, on the overexcitement thing, whilst I was at uni and riding high on the course I was doing, I had so much adrenaline going on that my pupils used to be regularly dilated –it was around this time all sorts of random issues begun cropping up.

Moreover, along the lines of what @thomas00 said, it’s a tag-team effort of body and mind, and I cannot discount the contribution of such things as B vitamins. The nicotinamide riboside I took acts on mitochondria in direct and indirect ways.

In addition, I should qualify, my ‘eat-what-I-fancy’ diet was also about slowing down massively and listening to my body. If a food/drink consistently really caused me GI issues I noted it and cut back. Also, I can’t underline enough my mindset during this time…

I think the temptation of some when relaxing food rules is, well, to go a bit crazy – kid-in-a-candy-shop stuff. That wasn’t what it was about for me as that would just be more overexcitement and more SNS activity, which I knew wasn’t therapeutic. So, instead, it was about slowing down around food, taking more time to eat and really savour everything. Ultimately, it was about re-finding a deep level of comfort in food and drink and the social occasions they were associated with. I was aware the PNS aligned itself with more peaceful and comforting emotions so that’s what I looked to cultivate as much of on a daily basis – and still do.

On that note, I also wonder if we too readily jump ship on things without realising the emotions they are often tied to, especially if we turn to them when we are already stressed in some way. Teasing out the psychological from the physiological is so hard when looking at response to x, y and z.

Again, case in point, I often thought I had problem with black tea. Looked up all these complex biochemical mechanisms by which the various components in it could be affecting me. I regularly thought I had histamine intolerance because I would itch. However, when I was in a relaxed state, I had no problems with tea and the itching, which seemed fairly random anyway, went. I then realised that I often when to get a cuppa when I wanted to get away from my work because I was tense. In addition, I would drink the tea quickly and, depending on my diet at the time, worry about whether the dairy I might have put in it because that’s what I wanted. Such a complex of emotions.

Last edited:

thomas00

yeah it's interesting the research on IBS....the things that have stood up in the literature aren't necessarily the gut-centric approaches, though they have their place. It's interventions which reduce stress that seem to have the strongest evidence base- hypnotherapy, cyproheptadine, amitriptyline

lampofred

yeah it's interesting the research on IBS....the things that have stood up in the literature aren't necessarily the gut-centric approaches, though they have their place. It's interventions which reduce stress that seem to have the strongest evidence base- hypnotherapy, cyproheptadine, amitriptyline

I read somewhere that the cause of IBS is chronic anxiety/hyperventilation reducing blood flow to the intestine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals