Does a larger skull on a person signal higher intelligence ? Examining intelligence of animals with high brain-to-body (EQ) Ratios

Explorer

Interesting - he seems to have a skull circumference of 25.5 inches or so which is very large - i think this is actually too big to fit in any standard cap's loosest setting and he would have to get a Double XL cap to fit - I think this accommodates up to a 27 inch circumference
When I had my skull circumference measured it was 61cm/24inches

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

When I had my skull circumference measured it was 61cm/24inches
Very interesting - my skull is quiet big myself - the girls like when I walk up to them and give them a little headbutt like Zinedine Zidane hahaha - my skull keeps growing when I am high DHT I think my neck is getting bigger/stronger to support all this weight too

I think it would be useful to have a discussion on brain size and intelligence - the reason I put skull size in the thread title is that I think it is safe for one to assume that the brain cannot grow "bigger" without more space available in the skull - hence the skull having to grow bigger as well

First - an introduction - what makes an animal smarter than another animal or a person smarter than another person ?

"Encephalization quotient (EQ), encephalization level (EL), or just encephalization is a relative brain size measure that is defined as the ratio between observed to predicted brain mass for an animal of a given size, based on nonlinear regression on a range of reference species."

In layman's terms - basically just because an animal has a larger brain than another - this does not necessarily mean it is more intelligent - but if the ratio of it's brain proportionate to the rest of it's body is greater - the animal is extremely likely (I would say with certainty) to be more intelligent)

This is why they say you cannot say Whales or Elephants are the smartest animals - they have some of the largest brains - but not the largest brain to body mass ratios when compared to animals that are highly regarded as intelligent - context is important here

Examples: Animals with High EQ Ratios -

Ravens

View attachment 29531

Are ravens as smart as us? | BBC Earth

It’s well known that ravens, crows, and other members of the corvid family are more brainbox than birdbrain. But scientists continue to be astounded by just how clever these avian Einsteins prove to be.

One recent study claims that by four months old, ravens have full-blown cognitive skills and before reaching full maturity they can rival adult great apes. Another, indicates that problem-solving crows perform similarly to children under seven years of age. And what is more remarkable is the scope of intelligence that these feathered masterminds display…

Among birds, the highest brain-to-body ratios are found among parrots, crows, magpies, jays and ravens.

But corvids—a group of birds that includes jays, ravens, and crows—also spend a lot of time under their parents' wings. ... The results, reported last week in the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B , also confirm corvids have unusually large brains compared with many other birds.
t.gif
01crow.jpg
on a university campus in Japan. Carrion crows and humans line up patiently, waiting for the traffic to halt.
When the lights change, the birds hop in front of the cars and place walnuts, which they picked from the adjoining trees, on the road. After the lights turn green again, the birds fly away and vehicles drive over the nuts, cracking them open. Finally, when it’s time to cross again, the crows join the pedestrians and pick up their meal.

Animals with very large flock size and/or complex social systems consistently score high EQ, with dolphins and orcas having the highest EQ of all cetaceans, and humans with their extremely large societies and complex social life topping the list by a good margin.

View attachment 29532
Another interesting point is that EQ ratio's tend to be different compared to men vs women and also between races amongst people (I will not delve into this further because I just know this conversation is too politically incorrect to have on this forum and that I will be attacked/targeted (as per usual - but if you are interested I would suggest looking it up for yourself

"The effect is there," says Nave, an assistant professor of marketing at Wharton. "On average, a person with a larger brain will tend to perform better on tests of cognition than one with a smaller brain."

This begs the question - knowing that someone's brain to body ratio is an excellent indicator of intelligence - would the following be true or would this be too much of a reach of an assumption ? -

Would a short man with a very large skull be indicative of an intelligent man ? It would seem that his brain might be especially large relative to the rest of his body

And inversely

Would a tall man with a very small skull be indicative of a man who may not be as intelligent ? It would seem his brain might be smaller relative to the rest of his body

You can let me know your thoughts - I am interested in seeing what people have to say on this matter
That’s very interesting. I love bird behavior. I notice with my bird sanctuary I have in my yard, that the crows never come to the bird feeders whereas all the other many species of birds do frequent them regularly. The other birds wait every morning for their new meal.

We take the feeders into our garage every night because otherwise the bears will visit and knock the feeders down.

The blue jays and the starlings come to the feeders but not the crows. Yet the crows will walk around our property like they own the place! They are like the mafia dons of the bird world lol.

But for some strange reason they don’t eat at the feeders. I wonder why. What do they know that the other birds do not?

SonOfEurope

The Neanderthal had a large brain.... But it was a low brain, more centered in the basic and instinctive hemispheres (close attention to the enormous occipital bun they had)

Me and friends have hypothesized on this subject for a long time and had some deep discussions.

No 1930's German fanboy here but I think we must also pay attention to skull shape and the different brain regions. I've always noticed brachicephalics with a flat occipital to be highly inteligent in physical and practical terms, a more mathematical intellect of precision, a more semi autistic genius, more robotic than dolicocephalics or mesocephalics with a larger occipital (though quite temperamental) who are more abstract, instinctive, artistic, with greater tendency towards the quasi schizophrenic spectrum of premonition and cunning.

Just a personal observation.

The Neanderthal had a large brain.... But it was a low brain, more centered in the basic and instinctive hemispheres (close attention to the enormous occipital bun they had)

Me and friends have hypothesized on this subject for a long time and had some deep discussions.

No 1930's German fanboy here but I think we must also pay attention to skull shape and the different brain regions. I've always noticed brachicephalics with a flat occipital to be highly inteligent in physical and practical terms, a more mathematical intellect of precision, a more semi autistic genius, more robotic than dolicocephalics or mesocephalics with a larger occipital (though quite temperamental) who are more abstract, instinctive, artistic, with greater tendency towards the quasi schizophrenic spectrum of premonition and cunning.

Just a personal observation.
Yeah, but were the Neanderthal’s intelligent? I always think of them as big, slow and monkey/ baboon like. And ugly ?‍?

Yeah, but were the Neanderthal’s intelligent? I always think of them as big, slow and monkey/ baboon like. And ugly ?‍?
Neanderthals are sexy AF what are u talking aboot?

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

A family of raccoons tried breaking into my house last night at 2:30 AM

I don't know what their EQ is but they are intelligent I'll tell you that

They came through my backyard and the younger raccoon PEEPED THROUGH MY SCREEN DOOR and spotted my stashes of candy I had next to me when I was laying down on my floor trying to SLEEP and he was signaling to the other raccoons about the candy - NEXT THING I KNOW I HAVE 3 RACCOONS WITH THEIR CLAWS ON MY SCREEN DOOR I DON'T KNOW IF THEY WERE GOING TO SLICE THROUGH BUT I SLAMMED THE OUTER DOOR SHUT ONCE I SAW THAT AND THEY ALL GOT SPOOKED EXCEPT FOR ONE

The younger raccoon who spotted my candy initially stayed outside my screen door and just came up to the screen door and stared at me for about 10 seconds - he was curious - I could tell he was a young and ignorant in a good way - I believe he was politely asking me to give him some candy and TBH I was about to but then i thought hes going to keep coming back if i do that - BUT ANYWAY I MISSED A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO COMMUNICATE WITH HIM - so now im hoping they come back because I actually think raccoons are intelligent enough to handle a conversation with me

Inaut

A family of raccoons tried breaking into my house last night at 2:30 AM

I don't know what their EQ is but they are intelligent I'll tell you that

They came through my backyard and the younger raccoon PEEPED THROUGH MY SCREEN DOOR and spotted my stashes of candy I had next to me when I was laying down on my floor trying to SLEEP and he was signaling to the other raccoons about the candy - NEXT THING I KNOW I HAVE 3 RACCOONS WITH THEIR CLAWS ON MY SCREEN DOOR I DON'T KNOW IF THEY WERE GOING TO SLICE THROUGH BUT I SLAMMED THE OUTER DOOR SHUT ONCE I SAW THAT AND THEY ALL GOT SPOOKED EXCEPT FOR ONE

The younger raccoon who spotted my candy initially stayed outside my screen door and just came up to the screen door and stared at me for about 10 seconds - he was curious - I could tell he was a young and ignorant in a good way - I believe he was politely asking me to give him some candy and TBH I was about to but then i thought hes going to keep coming back if i do that - BUT ANYWAY I MISSED A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO COMMUNICATE WITH HIM - so now im hoping they come back because I actually think raccoons are intelligent enough to handle a conversation with me
Starting to sound like Ray talking to cats.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals