Doubts About Eggshell Calcium?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ok, I can totally do the eggshell in the coffee deal. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Just need to take it slow and not put too much eggshell.

Thanks 4ps!!!

Mittir

It seems like Norwegians are adding egg shell water to neutralize oxalic acid in coffee.
I have been using this mix of coffee, honey, calcium hydroxide and a little bit lemon juice
after iron rich foods to minimize iron absorption. Calcium in high dose , around 600 mg
is as good as coffee in inhibiting iron absorption. I am bit worried whether calcium
interfere with coffee's tannin and other flavon's ability to block iron absorption.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Mittir said:
I am bit worried whether calcium interfere with coffee's tannin and other flavon's ability to block iron absorption.

Mittir, I am glad you brought this up because I was wondering the same thing myself.

jyb

Charlie said:
Mittir, I am glad you brought this up because I was wondering the same thing myself.

I asked myself that question before too...

Swandattur

edwardBe, sure!
4peatssake, That's interesting about the ground up egg shells in the coffee. 'Cowboy' coffee is made by using egg shells to help the coffee grounds settle out of the coffee when it's made in a pot over a fire.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I also have an allergic reaction to eggshells.

honeybee

Amazoniac said:
Does anyone here supplement with eggshell calcium for a long time? Anything worth mentioning?
Make sure you are balancing the eggshell with other minerals and and fat soluble vitamins. I had the WORSE time with eggshell until I pieced all of this together: zinc, phosphorus, mag, salt, a, d.
There are probably others involved but theses are the ones I focus on. I always take eggshell with a little salt at the same time. All the other supplements /food I take throughout the day.
Iron overload is mentioned several times in this thread-I donate blood a few times a year so I don't worry about that too much plus I'm female.
I was getting bloodshot eyes, blurred vision, general eyes issues before I priced all this together. Adding the zinc piccoloinate is helping other things too most noticeably temps, prolactin symptoms, general sluggishness.

Amazoniac

honeybee said:
Amazoniac said:
Does anyone here supplement with eggshell calcium for a long time? Anything worth mentioning?
Make sure you are balancing the eggshell with other minerals and and fat soluble vitamins. I had the WORSE time with eggshell until I pieced all of this together: zinc, phosphorus, mag, salt, a, d.
There are probably others involved but theses are the ones I focus on. I always take eggshell with a little salt at the same time. All the other supplements /food I take throughout the day.
Iron overload is mentioned several times in this thread-I donate blood a few times a year so I don't worry about that too much plus I'm female.
I was getting bloodshot eyes, blurred vision, general eyes issues before I priced all this together. Adding the zinc piccoloinate is helping other things too most noticeably temps, prolactin symptoms, general sluggishness.

Interesting, thanks for sharing!
Why you take it away from meals and for how long now?

honeybee

I eat it mostly with foods and only sometimes by itself but always with salt.

Amazoniac

- Innate Mechanisms of Antimicrobial Defense Associated with the Avian Eggshell

"Every layer of the eggshell, including shell membranes, calcified shell and cuticle layer, acts as both a physical and chemical barrier to protect the yolk and embryo."

"The outermost barrier, and first line of defense of the egg contents, is the calcified eggshell (Fig. 4)."

upload_2020-6-1_20-19-45.png

"Eggshell specific-matrix proteins have been identified using transcriptomics and proteomics approaches and two functions have been proposed, both suggesting a role in the innate defense mechanisms of the egg: biomineralization and/or antimicrobial protection. Ovocleidin-116 (OC-116), found to be abundant in the palisade layer, is the core protein of an eggshell dermatan sulfate proteoglycan and suggested to have a significant role in calcitic biomineralization (Hincke et al., 1999). Ovocleidin-17 (OC-17) was found to be abundant in the mammillary layer of the calcified eggshell; however, it was identified throughout the entire shell matrix (Hincke et al., 1995). In vitro studies have demonstrated the capacity of OC-17 to influence calcite crystal aggregation in a concentration-dependent method (Reyes-Grajeda et al., 2004). OC-17 also functions as an antimicrobial protein; it is a C-type lectin-like protein shown to be effective at inhibiting the growth of Gram-positive bacteria (Wellman-Labadie et al., 2008). A previous proteomics analysis of the acid-soluble matrix of the eggshell palisade layer revealed the presence of over 500 proteins which were broadly categorized as either (1) egg white proteins, (2) intracellular proteins or (3) eggshell-specific matrix proteins (Mann et al., 2006). Several egg white proteins are known antimicrobials, including lysozyme, ovotransferrin, avidin, ovomucoid, ovoinhibitor and cystatin. Intracellular proteins, including antimicrobial proteins such as histones, originate from the cells lining the oviduct of the laying hen. They could be released by usual cellular turn-over or due to abrasion caused by the forming egg during shell calcification when the coarse egg rotates in the uterus for a period of 16 hours. Eggshell-specific matrix proteins are components of the shell matrix thought to be highly eggshell specific, including OC-116 and OC-17. The same study also identified two members of the avian β-defensin family in the shell matrix: avian β-defensin-10 and -11. All of these proteins enhance the biomineralized barrier that is the eggshell by providing antimicrobial protection."

"Previous studies have demonstrated that eggshell cuticle proteins extracted from the eggs of domestic birds, including chickens, have antimicrobial activity against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria (Wellman-Labadie et al., 2008). Lysozyme and low levels of ovotransferrin were identified as cuticle-resident antimicrobials, as well as ovocalyxin-32 (OCX-32). OCX-32 is an eggshell-specific matrix protein that was identified in the uterine fluid associated with the final phase of shell calcification (Hincke et al., 2003). Studies assessing the antimicrobial potential of recombinant OCX-32 demonstrated antimicrobial activity against Gram-positive bacteria as well as carboxypeptidase inhibitory activity (Xing et al., 2007). Eggs with missing or partial cuticle layers are more vulnerable to bacterial contamination (Bain et al., 2013); possibly due to exposed eggshell pores and microcracks or a reduction in endogenous antimicrobial proteins."

Olivier Wellman-Labadie | ResearchGate
Mittir, there is no source, it is something you learn how to do in a chemistry class or book. That is beyond the scope of this forum.
If only he knew about the existence of anesthesiology books :praying: .. al dere

GelatinGoblin

God damnit I need my Calcium, but the more I read about sources on this forum the more I see that all of them are problematic, even dairy, whether it's Calcium from non-whole milk being unabsorbed or folate anti-bodies.
Boiling eggshells, grinding them up and baking them seems to be the best course of action. But what next?
Put them in a oxtail/connective tissue/bone broth? For how long; from the start or near the middle of the cooking process? Do I put them in lemon juice for a bit before I place them in?

"...calcified eggshell is a reservoir for the bone formation of the embryo..."

This is just hectic...

How much calcium would there be in 100ml of a stock made from oxtail cooked about 6 hours?
Perhaps, heavy metals in bone marrow is undesireable, but the Cholesterol, Calcium and Vitamin D just make it so attractive, insert :hearteyes: .

I think I will just add the grinded eggshells and prepare them as I wrote before to my next "Khash" (not really Khash because lower cooking time and no Cow Hooves(/feet? Shins?) in the middle of the cooking process.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals