Tell Yourself You Are Safe

zewe

You can not force them to be enthusiastic about your issues, but you could look for an alternative path than depending on them and I think it is why most of us ended up jere

I don't depend on them. Unfortunately, my disability is reviewed and I have to keep "The Man" satisfied that I'm seeking treatment.

As l mentioned, my therapist is very supportive of my research and "self treatment." In fact, she has used info I offer with other patients.

Plus, when one has a chronic and limiting illness, it helps to have this type of support. Except for you and the members here and elsewhere, people in your life aren't that interested in your research.

Yes, that is why I'm here. I'm impressed with this community. Deep thinking people are hard to find.

OP
Hugh Johnson

Hugh Johnson

Yeah, I use components of the Alexander technique and the other you mentioned. Thank you for your advice.

Here's the rub, though. I read earlier today in a post [can't say off the top of my head which] where someone said [maybe a RP quote and I'm paraphrasing] "That perhaps the mental disorder
would disappear once a thyroid condition was corrected." I have histamine intolerance/mast cell activation syndrome. This is genetic. My body/immune system goes haywire from triggers that aren't necessarily mental. I DO have persistent PTSD and the HIT/MCAS complicate the heck out of it. The symptoms of HIT/MCAS mimic the PTSD and/or trigger it.

I've always said to my therapists [I've been through 5] that one of my main goals is to reduce my physiological symptoms. And I came to the conclusion that these syndromes are why a certain percentage of people don't get over PTSD. Now I find this link in many writings/research. My last and the current therapists understand this and support me in the necessity of treating the HIT/MCAS.

Getting doctors and psychiatrists to understand this is something I stopped attempting to do. They rely on meds so
heavily. that they've lost their intellectual curiosity. I don't take any meds as I am reactive to so many.....and I have the papers to show them why too. Interspersed in their notes is the word NONCOMPLIANT!

Am I making myself clear on this, Hugh? Because I sometimes want to shake doctors out of their apathy!

Do you know what the difference between ignorance and apathy is?...……….I don't know and I don't care!
Alexander technique requires an actual teacher. Doing it yourself does very little.

Talk therapy is somewhere between useless and harmful. For example anxiety can be cured in 1-5 hours of hypnosis by anyone competent, but talk therapy is designed to maintain the problem while validating the client. So talk therapist can squeeze a lifetime of fees from anxiety patients. That is their business model.

Hypnosis is also effective in many allergies. Elman found that while the allergy did not disappear, removing the emotional component made the symptoms typically so light the client could not notice them subjectively.

Modern techniques like mirroring hands are far more effective for allergies than the old Elman style.

There are answers that do work in hours and minutes rather than years but you have to go outside the mainstream. I feel you about the doctors. I lost my twenties because I wasted time listening to them and the mainstream psychologists .

They are not there to help you. They are there to make money. Jorgen Rasmussen pointed out in his book Provocative Hypnosis that the primary value of most therapists is comfort. Healing is not comfortable. It requires change, courage and is inherently an insecure endeavour.

People are cats, not balls. To heal a person is like kicking a cat, you have no idea what the reaction is and you have to deal with that. But mainstream just wants predictability. That we are balls that can be kicked and we react with set rules.

nwo2012

@Hugh Johnson , by hypnosis do you actually mean being put in a trance-like state?
Have a friend that struggles with nausea/vomiting before important soccer games.
Any hypnotherapists, or those that claim to be, that he has seen do not attempt to induce a trance-like state
it is more like they talk in a calm voice and also give him audio files of them to listen to. Has not fixed the problem.

OP
Hugh Johnson

Hugh Johnson

@Hugh Johnson , by hypnosis do you actually mean being put in a trance-like state?
Have a friend that struggles with nausea/vomiting before important soccer games.
Any hypnotherapists, or those that claim to be, that he has seen do not attempt to induce a trance-like state
it is more like they talk in a calm voice and also give him audio files of them to listen to. Has not fixed the problem.
The field is full of incompetence. Putting a person in a trance is the easiest thing in the world, hell Jason linett has a video of his daughter doing it. It is not necessary, in fact really good ones often avoid trance. But they get results fast.

For example Mike Mandel, a ******* legend, has a story where he cured depression in one session by just sniffing electricity as a pattern interrupt. But that is rare.

One of the basic things to do is to teach a person to go into a state where they have resources . That requires a small amount of skill. Really, just go to Facebook and find Mike Mandel, Chris Thompson, David snyder and ask them for a recommendation for a good hypnotist.

nwo2012

The field is full of incompetence. Putting a person in a trance is the easiest thing in the world, hell Jason linett has a video of his daughter doing it. It is not necessary, in fact really good ones often avoid trance. But they get results fast.

For example Mike Mandel, a ******* legend, has a story where he cured depression in one session by just sniffing electricity as a pattern interrupt. But that is rare.

One of the basic things to do is to teach a person to go into a state where they have resources . That requires a small amount of skill. Really, just go to Facebook and find Mike Mandel, Chris Thompson, David snyder and ask them for a recommendation for a good hypnotist.

Thanks. Know any Australians?

zewe

Alexander technique requires an actual teacher. Doing it yourself does very little.

Talk therapy is somewhere between useless and harmful. For example anxiety can be cured in 1-5 hours of hypnosis by anyone competent, but talk therapy is designed to maintain the problem while validating the client. So talk therapist can squeeze a lifetime of fees from anxiety patients. That is their business model.

Hypnosis is also effective in many allergies. Elman found that while the allergy did not disappear, removing the emotional component made the symptoms typically so light the client could not notice them subjectively.

Modern techniques like mirroring hands are far more effective for allergies than the old Elman style.

There are answers that do work in hours and minutes rather than years but you have to go outside the mainstream. I feel you about the doctors. I lost my twenties because I wasted time listening to them and the mainstream psychologists .

They are not there to help you. They are there to make money. Jorgen Rasmussen pointed out in his book Provocative Hypnosis that the primary value of most therapists is comfort. Healing is not comfortable. It requires change, courage and is inherently an insecure endeavour.

People are cats, not balls. To heal a person is like kicking a cat, you have no idea what the reaction is and you have to deal with that. But mainstream just wants predictability. That we are balls that can be kicked and we react with set rules.

Fortunately, Hugh, I don't have to pay; I am on Medicade. My options of treatment with this insurance are limited. UPMC [insur. Carrier] does offer alternative treatments at their Integrative Medicine Facility but it is offered to the paying insured.

People on medicade are very low income and they get offered drugs....somebody has got to keep Big Pharma in business!

UPMC is a very big health institution/hospitals in the Pittsburgh area. Doesn't the fact that they are also in the insurance biz appear to be a conflict of interest?!

The area I live in is antiquated in their approach to health. Some of the things I present have been around for 50 years.

I don't travel well and Pittsburgh is a real stretch to get to. I pee all the time due to HIT/MCAS....on a bad day every 15 minutes. This in itself is limiting. I'll wet myself if I don't get to the bathroom NOW!

I've read on and watched instructors of the Alexander Technique in videos....no instructors here.

I've taught myself trigger point therapy and this is one item in my toolkit. I also have fibromyalgia and CFS and understand why I have them.....fibro runs in my family, too.

EMDR is one option I wanted to look into and I just called a past therapist I had to see if she was finally certified in EMDR. Yes she was but she lost her ability to take medicade clients.

For any who are not familiar with EMDR:

EYE MOVEMENT DESENSITIZATION AND REPROCESSING THERAPY. Providing an effective therapy for the treatment of trauma. The EMDRInstitute™, founded by Dr Francine Shapiro in 1990, offers quality trainings in the EMDR™ methodology, a treatment approach which has been empirically validated in over 24 randomized studies of trauma victims.

Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing is a form of psychotherapy in which the person being treated is asked to recall distressing images while generating one of several types of bilateral sensory input, such as side-to-side eye movements or hand tapping. It is included in several guidelines for the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder.More at Wikipedia

One of my brothers used EMDR sucessfully to treat his PTSD, while living in Florida.

Always brick walls when I try to seek alternative treatments which I can't afford. That's okay, I AM making progress. I spent 3 years curled up on the floor in soul crushing central pain.

The brain fog which is so common in these conditions is absent except when I get fatigued [more like an energy crisis] So, I feel like I've got my intelligence back.

My physiological symptoms have been reduced. I've made all this progress on my own.

And Hugh, bless you for your desire to help! I look forward to future conversations.

All the best to you & yours,
Michelle

OP
Hugh Johnson

Hugh Johnson

Thanks. Know any Australians?
No one I can vouch for. I would go to Mike Mandel Hypnosis facebook page and ask a recommendation. The worst thing they can do is ban you from a group you never use anyway. But there are a large number of great hypnotists there, and those guys have taught a lot of great practioners. In addition, there are training groups like this one:

Ernest Rossi's Mirroring Hands Technique
Pittsburgh Hypnosis Meetup (Pittsburgh, PA)

People need practice, and they would probably welcome a guinea pig with an interesting issue. Just ask, it costs you nothing. You too @zewe , and respect for coming so far with so little.

Greg says

... this kind of self soothing affirmations don't work for me (or people with ptsd etc.) Richard Grannon explains why here...

L

lollipop

The environment we keep seems to be a HUGE factor:

Our environment matters:

“The new study demonstrates that it's actually quite easy to activate sets in people and influence what occupies the brain's "prime real estate."

"The research shows that stimuli in the environment are very important in determining what we end up thinking about and that once an action plan is strongly activated its many effects can be difficult to override," said Morsella.”

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180716164511.htm

We may have less control over our thoughts than previously assumed
180716164511_1_540x360.jpg

Think you're totally in control of your thoughts? Maybe not as much as you think, according to a new San Francisco State University study that examines how thoughts that lead to actions enter our consciousness.

While we can "decide" to think about certain things, other information -- including activities we have learned like counting -- can enter our subconscious and cause us to think about something else, whether we want to or not. Psychologists call these dispositions "sets," explains SF State Associate Professor of Psychology Ezequiel Morsella, one of four authors on a new study that examines how sets influence what we end up thinking about.

Morsella and the other researchers conducted two experiments with SF State students. In the first experiment, 35 students were told beforehand to not count an array of objects presented to them. In 90 percent of the trials, students counted the objects involuntarily. In a second experiment, students were presented with differently colored geometric shapes and given the option of either naming the colors (one set) or counting the shapes (a different set). Even though students chose one over the other, around 40 percent thought about both sets.

"The data support the view that, when one is performing a desired action, conscious thoughts about alternative plans still occupy the mind, often insuppressibly," said Morsella.

Understanding how sets work could have implications for the way we absorb information -- and whether we choose to act or not. We think of our conscious minds as private and insulated from the outside world, says Morsella. Yet our "insulation" may be more permeable than we think.

"Our conscious mind is the totality of our experience, a kind of 'prime real estate' in the cognitive apparatus, influencing both decision-making and action," Morsella said.

The new study demonstrates that it's actually quite easy to activate sets in people and influence what occupies the brain's "prime real estate."

"The research shows that stimuli in the environment are very important in determining what we end up thinking about and that once an action plan is strongly activated its many effects can be difficult to override," said Morsella.

The study's findings support Morsella's passive frame theory, which posits that most thoughts enter our brains as a result of subliminal processes we don't totally control.

Story Source:

Materials provided by San Francisco State University. Note: Content may be edited for style and length.

Journal Reference:

1. Sabrina Bhangal, Christina Merrick, Hyein Cho, Ezequiel Morsella. Involuntary Entry Into Consciousness From the Activation of Sets: Object Counting and Color Naming. Frontiers in Psychology, 2018; 9 DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2018.01017
Cite This Page:

San Francisco State University. "We may have less control over our thoughts than previously assumed." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 16 July 2018. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180716164511.htm>.

tankasnowgod

You can a apply inverted thoughts to this connection. Once, a yoga student complained to their instructor how the poses were painful to do. The teacher said to him, "Stop scrunching your face like it's going to hurt."

There's a lot to this. Paul Eckman really discovered how much facial expressions can influence emotions when he was working on really classifying micro-expressions. Forcing yourself to smile really does improve your mood. If you try it when you're in a really bad mood, it's really odd. Almost inwardly jarring. I've found myself having to laugh in those situations. I might not go from completely angry to radiantly happy, but it does force me to be in a better (or less negative) mood.

Perry Staltic

How do you do that

Practice listening rather than thinking. In other words, practice listening to actual sounds rather than to the movies (voices) going on in the mind (which are really just re-runs). Ever notice how musicians can tend to be laid back and easy to get along with? They by necessity are very attentive to sounds. One path is living in images of reality (the mind), the other path is living in reality (the whole being). So the battle is between image and reality. Once you start listening you will hear the still (peaceful), small voice within. It will guide you.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

Practice listening rather than thinking. In other words, practice listening to actual sounds rather than to the movies (voices) going on in the mind (which are really just re-runs). Ever notice how musicians can tend to be laid back and easy to get along with? They by necessity are very attentive to sounds. One path is living in images of reality (the mind), the other path is living in reality (the whole being). So the battle is between image and reality. Once you start listening you will hear the still (peaceful), small voice within. It will guide you.
Amen.

AsuraAcademy

Right now. Just tell your body and mind that you are safe, you have food to eat and a place to sleep. That the place you are in is perfectly safe and there are no real worries right now.

Just do it. Turn your attention inwards and assure your body you are safe and all your needs are met. You should notice unnecessary stress dissolving, because it is likely that you are using your memory an imagination to create threats where there are none and your body responds to them.
Wow thanks for this post. It works wonderfully

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals