Why You Shouldn't Supplement Vitamin D

Kray

I don't have a source to back this up but I think it's possible to get too much UVB light and the red light could theoretically counterbalance that. Plus, both lights together more closely emulates the full spectrum of light that the sun would provide. And indeed it does feel more like I'm under the sun with both lights on than either alone.
Wonder if Sperti would have data on any of this.

aniciete

I have it sitting on a desk so when I stand in front of it the light covers basically my whole torso (I'm short). I stand about 12-15 inches away (you'll know if you get stand too close because you'll get a slight sunburn or itchiness). Make sure to not get the UVB light into your eyes (some people use protective goggles). I alternate front side and back side daily and occasionally stand slightly sideways to get the sides of my torso as well. I do this 5 minutes a day, everyday, unless I can sunbathe at high noon that day (which is rare). I'm fair skinned, you may need to adjust the time based on your skin tone (the Sperti comes with a chart indicating suggested times based on skin tone). You can also email the company to get more individualized recommendations based on the data they have collected from other clients and their research.

I use the lamp after I take a shower not before and I don't use soap on my torso. Bathing and soap can disrupt your skin's natural oils, theoretically this can affect how much vit D you can get from UVB light. Technically Vit D is created within the cell so bathing shouldn't matter but I err on the side of caution and do it after I shower, plus it's just easier this way since I'm already in the nude.

I have recently started using my handheld red light simultaneously on my face and neck.
Are you still using your sperti?

professor_sue

AN OFFERING OF PEACE AND LOVE: Namaste, people, and happy new year, many blessings to each of you in 2022! Please, let us express some joy and gratitude for information. I have taken so much from my 12-step AA program when I first got sober a long time ago (7/31/2004): Take what you need, leave the rest. That means, no judgment, no negative commentary, no ad hominems. Anyway ... I enjoy Matt's vids and will check it out. I had been off D3 for a long time, but I recently started taking it again because I do poorly during the cold, winter months. I live in SoCal, so I can still get some sun in the winter, but I also live in the high desert, and it's terribly cold right now. I am feeling better having started taking it. I don't take a high dose. Speaking of dose, or dosage, keep in mind that the poison is in the dose. I think that many people forget about that. Yes, even pure, beautifully clean non-acid-rain water can be toxic if consumed at high levels. Be mindful and be thoughtful with your words. Don't take things so personally. The ego can become the enemy if we allow it. I am offering my words as an invitation. Take them or leave them. In the end, I am grateful for the information provided on this forum. I don't read everything; in fact, I look at very little. I am a middle-aged woman, and this seems to be a forum that has mostly men, but I am fine with that. I could be wrong, too, who knows. But either way --namaste to you all! May you be well, may your loved ones be well, may your communities be well. All the best in 2022!!! Peace, always.

L

LauriePartridge

vitamin D3 supplements eventually can and will destroy your kidneys if taken long enough or in a high enough dosage. Veterinarians know very well how cholecalciferol (D3) kills pets and other small animals because they see it quite often when the family pet accidentally ingests D-Con or similar poison meant for rats. Conversely to veterinary medicine the human medical community would like you to believe that D3 rat poison is completely safe to consume because the cholecalciferol (D3) in rat poisons are "much stronger" than the "small" amounts given to humans for "health," or that mice are different from humans and therefore the same effects cannot be applied to humans. Of course, this doesn't quite jive with the fact that mice and rats are the most commonly-used test subjects for human medical trials. Well, the fact is, the mechanism by which cholecalciferol works on rats is precisely the same in humans; this is not a case of "dags and chocolate". Cholecalciferol raises serum calcium, either acutely or chronically (depending on dose and size of mammal) and damages the kidneys. How quickly or slowly really doesn't make kidney damage more palatable. ANY kidney damage is too much. (And no, taking K2 will not stop this damage from occurring.)

In fact, the doses of this synthetically- industrialized, manufactured, oil-based chemical, designed for rat bait are very similar in scale to the amounts now being given to humans for supplementation - and make no mistake - it is THE EXACT SAME chemical! Cholecalciferol manufactured for both rat poison and human supplements, are even made by the same manufacturing company in the same facility!!! D3/cholecalciferol kills rats within minutes to hours by destroying the kidneys and shutting them down. It damages humans within weeks to months to possibly years, by first creating a chronic elevation in serum calcium, which your body then attempts to rectify, thereby creating renal (kidney) potassium wasting which then progresses to hypercalcemia, and if ingestion is continued, it inevitably results in kidney failure - just like in rats!! IT IS ALL POISON regardless of the length of time it takes to work! Just how much poison do you think is healthy to have in your diet?

I agree. Thanks for posting. I know there is a lot of research that suggests the great benefits of Vit D, which isn't really a vitamin but more of a steroidal hormone, but nothing can convince me that it is beneficial. After supplementing for 5 years, and not even that much, I have come to a point where I can't even tolerate a small amount in food and I even get bad reactions from the sun if I get too much. My levels didn't even get too high but now any amount of Vit D acts like an immunosuppressant. I instantly get inflammation and slowed metabolism from it. Even the late Travis from this forum stated it slows down metabolism. I haven't supplemented in a little less than a year and my health problems are gradually dissipating and I'm getting my life back finally. Maybe on a short term basis it won't cause harm, but taken repeatedly over time I believe it can do serious damage to the immune system. There is enough published material and research to suggest it suppresses the immune system or might possibly do so over time, that I will likely never supplement again. I don't even care what my levels are and I don't believe we are meant to have really high levels either. I think it's enough to eat normally and get reasonable amounts of sunlight. The problem with a lot of studies is that they don't follow test subjects longer than weeks, maybe months and possibly a year or two after exposure to Vit D so they really don't know the long term consequences of supplementing something that acts like a steroid in the body.

rayban

In an email RP recommended UV light as a consideration...

I have the Sperti nUVB. I use it 5 mins a day for about 4 months and it got my 25OHD level up to 49 from 32 ( my doc won't test for other levels). I do usually do red light simultaneously.
What about 1,25 hydroxy?

I have an EVOO d3 supplement with a modest dose of 200 UI, I guess its safe. Has some k2 too.

InChristAlone

I agree. Thanks for posting. I know there is a lot of research that suggests the great benefits of Vit D, which isn't really a vitamin but more of a steroidal hormone, but nothing can convince me that it is beneficial. After supplementing for 5 years, and not even that much, I have come to a point where I can't even tolerate a small amount in food and I even get bad reactions from the sun if I get too much. My levels didn't even get too high but now any amount of Vit D acts like an immunosuppressant. I instantly get inflammation and slowed metabolism from it. Even the late Travis from this forum stated it slows down metabolism. I haven't supplemented in a little less than a year and my health problems are gradually dissipating and I'm getting my life back finally. Maybe on a short term basis it won't cause harm, but taken repeatedly over time I believe it can do serious damage to the immune system. There is enough published material and research to suggest it suppresses the immune system or might possibly do so over time, that I will likely never supplement again. I don't even care what my levels are and I don't believe we are meant to have really high levels either. I think it's enough to eat normally and get reasonable amounts of sunlight. The problem with a lot of studies is that they don't follow test subjects longer than weeks, maybe months and possibly a year or two after exposure to Vit D so they really don't know the long term consequences of supplementing something that acts like a steroid in the body.
Dr Stasha Gominak worked with patients long term and she found the same thing that too high and patient have all their symptoms come back. She also found out that they needed vitamin B5.

L

LauriePartridge

Dr Stasha Gominak worked with patients long term and she found the same thing that too high and patient have all their symptoms come back. She also found out that they needed vitamin B5.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I wonder what the connection to B5 is.

K

Kayaker

I wouldn't use a Sperti. Fluorescent bulbs are unstable, especially near the end of life.

Mercury vapor bulbs that have UV (unfiltered glass) would be cheaper. They can be pointed at a ceiling with a lamp to prevent direct UV exposure. At the expense of the ceiling, of course.

GreekDemiGod

If VD is toxic, explain why I haven’t been getting a cold since taking it in high doses regularly for the past 6-8 months?
Whereas before I would get 2-3 colds per season.

If VD is toxic, explain why I haven’t been getting a cold since taking it in high doses regularly for the past 6-8 months?
Whereas before I would get 2-3 colds per season.
If vitamin D supplementation is the *only* dietary & lifestyle change you've made in the last 6-8 months... then congratulations, you've suppressed some of your body's natural detoxification processes.

PopSocket

If vitamin D supplementation is the *only* dietary & lifestyle change you've made in the last 6-8 months... then congratulations, you've suppressed some of your body's natural detoxification processes.
Exactly. But I doubt vit D is actually the only reason. I don't understand why people see colds and flues in a bad light while it is so obviously a detox mechanism.

TheSir

I don't understand why people see colds and flues in a bad light while it is so obviously a detox mechanism.
Detoxing prerequires toxing, which is nothing to cheer about. People who are compromised enough to get frequently sick aren't detoxing more, in many cases they are hardly detoxing at all. They are just more vulnerable to offenses and respond to them with inflammation. Yet inflammation is not detox.

Actual detox flu is its own distinct thing. It will not kill you, unlike the regular flu, because the body will only initiate it when it knows that it can handle it. Colds and flus, on the other hand, don't care whether the body is ready for them or not. They will happily destroy the body if given the opportunity. To argue that flu is detox is to argue that the body is stupid enough to detox itself to death, which is provably the opposite of truth.

You might as well say: "I don't understand why people see being in a hospital bed in a bad light while it is so obviously a way to get better". To which the answer is: because it feels awful and there is a chance that you will actually get worse.

PopSocket

Detoxing prerequires toxing, which is nothing to cheer about. People who are compromised enough to get frequently sick aren't detoxing more, in many cases they are hardly detoxing at all. They are just more vulnerable to offenses and respond to them with inflammation. Yet inflammation is not detox.

Actual detox flu is its own distinct thing. It will not kill you, unlike the regular flu, because the body will only initiate it when it knows that it can handle it. Colds and flus, on the other hand, don't care whether the body is ready for them or not. They will happily destroy the body if given the opportunity. To argue that flu is detox is to argue that the body is stupid enough to detox itself to death, which is provably the opposite of truth.

You might as well say: "I don't understand why people see being in a hospital bed in a bad light while it is so obviously a way to get better". To which the answer is: because it feels awful and there is a chance that you will actually get worse.
We are all toxic, even if we try out best and read Ray Peats work,been digging decades into health and avoid most dangerous stuff.

As you said - the body usually initiates the detox programs when it knows that it can handle them BUT sometimes the process goes haywire usually due to PUFA exaggerating the reaction while the tissues are super vulnerable after decades of abuse - toxic environment,emf, stress, bad diets, pharmaceuticals, vaccines, light deprivation etc etc causing a dangerous chain reaction. It is no surprise the system malfunctions sometimes. Even sometimes young organism end up dead.

While it is 100% true that the body has only survival in mind and never to harm itself it does have many inherent flaws by design. It is far from perfect, otherwise we would not spend so much time trying to figure out health/aging etc.

Also, many people when they get the flu they start taking stuff to stop it. Even a simple vit C intervention is unnecessary and in my own view counterproductive. Anything that makes the body to "stop" running its programs halfway is the wrong thing to do.

Regarding inflammation - it is a response to injury/toxicity. Not inherently a bad thing. It is the healing reaction of the body. Avoiding stuff that inflames you in the first place is the way, not stopping the inflammation once it occurs. Same logic here too. Of course with the exception when things are going too far in the wrong direction and is clear ones life is on the line.

Sefton10

I've noticed that the higher my Vit D levels are on a blood test (from D3 supplementation), the higher my thyroid antibodies are. They go up and down together.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals