Why You Shouldn't Supplement Vitamin D

This. We shouldn't have to invest our entire brain to listen to the bouncing ball on every word when most podcasts take 25 minutes before anything novel or meaty is spoken. Even skipping 10-30second intervals is a great way to catch the thick of a message without making it a part time job.

Four things come to mind,
1) all artificially separated compounds, while they definitely have acute results, are isolated from the natural package that they arose from in the first place. It doesn't matter if we're talking about a plant, piece of meat, or naturally occurring minerals... They all have dozens, if not hundreds of surrounding compounds, chemicals, complexes, enzymes, etc etc. Regardless of if someone is on the side of creation or evolution, the fact remains that our bodies clearly have a fractal nature about them which is cohesive to other fractal substances.

2) as far as I can tell, the most salient defense mechanism of the body is to store poison in fat tissue. Whether it's too much carbon in food, chemical poisoning, or fat soluble vitamin, the body will house these things in fat. Just because one diagnosable metric has managed to stay in range doesn't mean that the entire body is benefiting.

3) some people grow up eating liver on regular occasion, turn vegan at 25 and are great until their 50 because of all of the stored B12 they accrued... But then they crash. Some people go vegan off the back of a standard American diet and hit the dirt within 3 months.
Same thing with carnivore dieters that can go for 10+ years. It's great for them until they're beyond the pale in deep waters... Because the consequences of fat storage toxicity are unknown until they become apparent all the time. Filling up this cup is probably a risky game. Take the typical visceral fat-laden individual who can't go 12 hours without food unless they feel like garbage because of the inordinate amounts of poison that their fat stores are releasing all at once. They quickly need food to stabilize their blood sugar and cease this energetic expenditure of fat.

4) supplementing the storage form of a hormone for 2 years... And a common goal of the people on this forum is long life, say 120 years. Doesn't seem that unreasonable that the body can withstand an acute punishment for 2 years if the potential for life is 120 years. You're talking about less than 2% of the time of a healthy human life... even though 2 years is 2 years... This is a drop in the bucket all things considered.

Fish oil studies show anti-inflammatory benefit which is supposed to be good, right?
Except it's not, lol. Often the defensive reaction of the body supercedes the sensation of degradation, but this is only acute relief. Thank God the feeling of pain is minimal shortly after suffering a traumatic wound.

Allowing the skin to make active vitamin D from light seems WORLDS safer than adding more garbage to the dumpster fire that is the liver and fat storage of most of the members on this forum lol. It's like less than 30 minutes a week of this to get positive effect. To agree with OP, why are we even considering supplementing rat poison in ANY dose!?

The time needed is more like 20 min a day at minimum, under optimal conditions, without clothing. One erythemal dose is for the lightest skin types around 20 - 30 minutes. And the rat poison thing is fine, it is just effective and biodegradable, non persistent. Robbins and Genereux seem more like dysinfo agents to me.

The time needed is more like 20 min a day at minimum, under optimal conditions, without clothing. One erythemal dose is for the lightest skin types around 20 - 30 minutes. And the rat poison thing is fine, it is just effective and biodegradable, non persistent. Robbins and Genereux seem more like dysinfo agents to me.

Disinfo agents? What ever happened to people just being plain wrong? How are they disinfo agents and not just wrong?

The aim of these "disinfo campaigns" (and other strategies) is to create a post-fact world where everyone just calls each other ignorant and a conspiracy theorist, everything is photoshopped and fake. Don't believe anything, believe only what you want to believe. Then we all become unable to find common ground and become isolated, we become unmoored. Don't add to this dumpster fire by calling someone a disinfo agent without any evidence. Saying things that are untrue without evidence is what a disinfo agent does.

The point about vitamin D being a biodegradable poison is well taken. I guess in Morley's world we can use DDT instead of vitamin D in rat poisons, ahaha.

pauljacob

Disinfo agents? What ever happened to people just being plain wrong? How are they disinfo agents and not just wrong?
I clicked on the podcast with Kyle Mamounis, and then clicked on episode II about coffee and Mamounis starts with this statement:
"I don't know much about coffee -- like I don't know significantly more than probably the average -- Ray Peat or somebody else did." If Ray Peat has average knowledge, then Mamounis is "elite Doofus nutrition."

The aim of these "disinfo campaigns" (and other strategies) is to create a post-fact world where everyone just calls each other ignorant and a conspiracy theorist, everything is photoshopped and fake. Don't believe anything, believe only what you want to believe. Then we all become unable to find common ground and become isolated, we become unmoored. Don't add to this dumpster fire by calling someone a disinfo agent without any evidence. Saying things that are untrue without evidence is what a disinfo agent does.

The point about vitamin D being a biodegradable poison is well taken. I guess in Morley's world we can use DDT instead of vitamin D in rat poisons, ahaha.

Very true about the pitfalls of decreasing the area of respectability, and the ensuing alienation, but there is money to be had with clickbait nonsense, and lots of people are severely mentally ill, and do not recognize it even. All cults have harsh dietary regimens, the abusers and leaders of cults are subconsciously addicted to the sight of misery and weakness imo. The recklessness of reading contemporary biochemical cartoons and saying that VD, which has 70000 studies behind it is simply poison is slightly psychotic or arguing in bad faith, the phony personality can be a give away.

GorillaHead

A word to the wise. Based on some studies i have seen. If u supplement vitamin d. U need to make sure u have adequate calcium with it. Otherwise it will destroy you bmd

rei

If you drink 10 liters of water daily you are likely to die. Try living without drinking water.

D3 in 250 microgram dose is good for a 50kg human (5 ug/kg, 10.000IU). A rodent is killed with 40.000ug/kg. A duck needs 200.000ug/kg to die.

Rodents are specially sensitive/not able to handle fat and vitamin d which is one of the common fat soluble hormones. Humans on the other hand are specialized in fat metabolism. Grok on that.

Last edited:

Dave Clark

How does the Sperti Fiji compare with the Sperti vitD?
The Sperti Fiji will tan since it provides both forms of UV, and the Sperti D will only provide UVB which makes the vitamin D. So, If you want tanning along with the D, Fiji is the one, but tanning means possible skin damage in the long run.

My perspective is that vitamin D is akin to supplements like thyroid, pregnenolone, progesterone, DHEA, etc.

Like these other "dangerous" "hormone" supplements, you can stimulate production through other means. For instance, take a look at what boron does: Boron increases vitamin D in the blood | VitaminDWiki

You can also supplement safely and still get good results, just like with thyroid, pregnenolone, etc. Does anybody know if Morley and his fanatics are also on a crusade against other supplemental hormones?

Kray

Yes, the Sperti nUVB is the Vit D lamp. It's a bit pricey but it's worth it in my experience. I consider it an investment in my health.
@Zpol
Can I get your take on adding red light to make UVB safer?

Kray

I have it sitting on a desk so when I stand in front of it the light covers basically my whole torso (I'm short). I stand about 12-15 inches away (you'll know if you get stand too close because you'll get a slight sunburn or itchiness). Make sure to not get the UVB light into your eyes (some people use protective goggles). I alternate front side and back side daily and occasionally stand slightly sideways to get the sides of my torso as well. I do this 5 minutes a day, everyday, unless I can sunbathe at high noon that day (which is rare). I'm fair skinned, you may need to adjust the time based on your skin tone (the Sperti comes with a chart indicating suggested times based on skin tone). You can also email the company to get more individualized recommendations based on the data they have collected from other clients and their research.

I use the lamp after I take a shower not before and I don't use soap on my torso. Bathing and soap can disrupt your skin's natural oils, theoretically this can affect how much vit D you can get from UVB light. Technically Vit D is created within the cell so bathing shouldn't matter but I err on the side of caution and do it after I shower, plus it's just easier this way since I'm already in the nude.

I have recently started using my handheld red light simultaneously on my face and neck.
What is the point or benefit of using red light concurrently with D lamp? (see my other post to you on this thread)

Doc Sandoz

In an email RP recommended UV light as a consideration...

I have the Sperti nUVB. I use it 5 mins a day for about 4 months and it got my 25OHD level up to 49 from 32 ( my doc won't test for other levels). I do usually do red light simultaneously.
Interesting, turns out I do red light simultaneously as well, but not really on purpose although it sounds a good idea. It's just that I turn the red heat lamp on in the bathroom to take the chill off when doing the 5 minute Sperti routine.

Kray

Interesting, turns out I do red light simultaneously as well, but not really on purpose although it sounds a good idea. It's just that I turn the red heat lamp on in the bathroom to take the chill off when doing the 5 minute Spertic routine.
Good thing! Can I ask what red light you use? Is it installed in a recessed lighting, or portable, if I may ask? I still don't know why red light is recommended along with. Can you explain?

Doc Sandoz

Good thing! Can I ask what red light you use? Is it installed in a recessed lighting, or portable, if I may ask? I still don't know why red light is recommended along with. Can you explain?
The red light in my bathroom is recessed in the ceiling, and is your standard bathroom heat lamp, the bulb for which is the same as Ray's chicken lamps which emits infrared rays. Ray recommends red light to stabilize cells after radiation exposure and UVB from the Sperti is a form of radation. So are Xrays, hence the last time I got dental xrays, I had them do it at the end of the cleaning and exam so I could get home within 1/2 hour and spend an hour with a clip-on type red chicken lamp near my face and jaws. (The techs really like to do the xrays first but know I'm reticent about getting them at all and I ended up telling them I had a procedure that needed to be done within half and hour and they no doubt thought I was a tinfoil hat wearer, but complied with my request). In short, Ray says - and I paraphrase - that red light calms down cells which have been excited by radiation and hence reduces cell damage.

Kray

The red light in my bathroom is recessed in the ceiling, and is your standard bathroom heat lamp, the bulb for which is the same as Ray's chicken lamps which emits infrared rays. Ray recommends red light to stabilize cells after radiation exposure and UVB from the Sperti is a form of radation. So are Xrays, hence the last time I got dental xrays, I had them do it at the end of the cleaning and exam so I could get home within 1/2 hour and spend an hour with a clip-on type red chicken lamp near my face and jaws. (The techs really like to do the xrays first but know I'm reticent about getting them at all and I ended up telling them I had a procedure that needed to be done within half and hour and they no doubt thought I was a tinfoil hat wearer, but complied with my request). In short, Ray says - and I paraphrase - that red light calms down cells which have been excited by radiation and hence reduces cell damage.
We have a recessed lamp in our bath near the shower, but I didn't think a heat-type lamp could be used in it (fire safety). I hope I'm wrong, since this would be an easy fix for both the Sunlamp and staying warm after a shower ?.

Thanks for the tip on xrays/dentist. I won't forget that one! I don't know if you have ever used homeopathy, but there is an x-ray remedy that can be taken before/after xray exposure. I remember to use it about half the time! At least for the dentist, it could be handy. I will check into the red lamp in our bath.

Thank you again for very useful info!

Doc Sandoz

We have a recessed lamp in our bath near the shower, but I didn't think a heat-type lamp could be used in it (fire safety). I hope I'm wrong, since this would be an easy fix for both the Sunlamp and staying warm after a shower ?.

Thanks for the tip on xrays/dentist. I won't forget that one! I don't know if you have ever used homeopathy, but there is an x-ray remedy that can be taken before/after xray exposure. I remember to use it about half the time! At least for the dentist, it could be handy. I will check into the red lamp in our bath.

Thank you again for very useful info!
The lamp I have in the bathroom is temperature regulated. Integrated with the bathroom fan, if the lamp is on too long and it starts to get too hot in the recess, the fan automatically comes on.

I would be interested to know the identity of the homeopathic xray remedy! Thanks

Kray

The lamp I have in the bathroom is temperature regulated. Integrated with the bathroom fan, if the lamp is on too long and it starts to get too hot in the recess, the fan automatically comes on.

I would be interested to know the identity of the homeopathic xray remedy! Thanks
Got it, thank you! My light/fan aren't integrated, but I will see what else can be done. Is this an infrared/far infrared lamp? I do have one of those, if that will do.

Here is a link for the product I use; it can be found at various other sites as well.

I read one of the reviews from the link I sent you. I must say, it would be a lot of doing to keep up a that egimen compared to your red lamp, if you followed this person's protocol (see comment by Alicia). But, it would be very handy for those dental/other xrays! And generally, homeopathy is very affordable!

Zpol

Can I get your take on adding red light to make UVB safer?
I don't have a source to back this up but I think it's possible to get too much UVB light and the red light could theoretically counterbalance that. Plus, both lights together more closely emulates the full spectrum of light that the sun would provide. And indeed it does feel more like I'm under the sun with both lights on than either alone.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals