Why You Shouldn't Supplement Vitamin D

vitamin D3 supplements eventually can and will destroy your kidneys if taken long enough or in a high enough dosage. Veterinarians know very well how cholecalciferol (D3) kills pets and other small animals because they see it quite often when the family pet accidentally ingests D-Con or similar poison meant for rats. Conversely to veterinary medicine the human medical community would like you to believe that D3 rat poison is completely safe to consume because the cholecalciferol (D3) in rat poisons are "much stronger" than the "small" amounts given to humans for "health," or that mice are different from humans and therefore the same effects cannot be applied to humans. Of course, this doesn't quite jive with the fact that mice and rats are the most commonly-used test subjects for human medical trials. Well, the fact is, the mechanism by which cholecalciferol works on rats is precisely the same in humans; this is not a case of "dags and chocolate". Cholecalciferol raises serum calcium, either acutely or chronically (depending on dose and size of mammal) and damages the kidneys. How quickly or slowly really doesn't make kidney damage more palatable. ANY kidney damage is too much. (And no, taking K2 will not stop this damage from occurring.)

In fact, the doses of this synthetically- industrialized, manufactured, oil-based chemical, designed for rat bait are very similar in scale to the amounts now being given to humans for supplementation - and make no mistake - it is THE EXACT SAME chemical! Cholecalciferol manufactured for both rat poison and human supplements, are even made by the same manufacturing company in the same facility!!! D3/cholecalciferol kills rats within minutes to hours by destroying the kidneys and shutting them down. It damages humans within weeks to months to possibly years, by first creating a chronic elevation in serum calcium, which your body then attempts to rectify, thereby creating renal (kidney) potassium wasting which then progresses to hypercalcemia, and if ingestion is continued, it inevitably results in kidney failure - just like in rats!! IT IS ALL POISON regardless of the length of time it takes to work! Just how much poison do you think is healthy to have in your diet?

This is something to ponder. What about topically?

People have ingested hundreds of thousands of IU daily on accident with no ill effects, what's the explanation for that?
I agree that too many people ingest a lot of vitamin D, along with a bunch of other supplements, but I have not seen any of those people, that I know, without health issues and medications to go along with them, unless they are young and their body has a lot of fight in them still.

The argument for why we need to supplement Vitamin D is also shaky, for instance historically people wore much less revealing clothing than today and likely got less sunshine exposure than modern people.
This was an interesting angle.

sunny

"But its rat poison"

Dose makes the poison.

"This is probably the most common ‘shock and awe’ argument indiscriminately thrown around in comment sections of the alt health world. And it seems compelling — as all a person has to do is look up rodenticides to find that cholecalciferol is, in fact, the primary ingredient in some rat poisons.

To put things into perspective, let’s take the popular rodenticide d-Con. According to d-Con’s marketing material, each gram of their soft bait contains about 31,428 IUs of cholecalciferol. It takes 0.5 milligrams of bait per kilogram of body weight to increase serum calcium and phosphorus enough to cause tissue mineralization and kidney failure.

So, if a rat were 250 grams (0.5 lbs), it would take about 3,928 IUs of cholecalciferol to induce death, which doesn’t sound like much.

However, in a 75-kilogram human (~165 lbs), d-Cons recommended dose would be 1,178,550 IUs.

Some people might think taking a million units of cholecalciferol would lead to instant death, but in 2016, a toxicity report was released that documented one person accidentally ingesting over 1,800,000 IUs a day for over two months and another who used 900,000 IUs for one month:

“…Both developed symptomatic hypercalcemia, with markedly elevated 25-D blood levels peaking at 1220 and 645 ng/ml, and both recovered uneventfully after stopping the vitamin D. The hypercalcemia was noted to resolve in both once the 25-D blood levels fell below 400 ng/ml. This would suggest that 25-D blood levels up to 400 ng/ml might be safe.” — McCullough (2016)
After hearing this argument many, many times over the last year or so, it seems even sillier. Taking 360 times the vitamin D council’s recommended amount of cholecalciferol is not recommended, but the fact that it’s possible to accidentally do that — for months — shows how truly non-toxic cholecalciferol is.

sunny

I thought everything was using a topical d on the skin.
The skin is how you make it, so it seems logical to do it that way.
Dr. Peat talked about putting it on the skin.

sunny

"Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) specifically mobilizes calcium from the bones
into the blood stream. This can lead to excess calcium in the blood
(hypercalcemia), kidney failure, central nervous system depression and
heart failure. Hence, it's a great poison."

That statement in the linked text above is incorrect.
PTH is what does that.
Vitamin D reduces PTH.

From the Danny Roddy article:

"For example, increasing 25-D with supplemental cholecalciferol has been shown to oppose the negative effects of parathyroid hormone (PTH), serotonin, prolactin, aldosterone, and cortisol — which all interfere with energy production:

25-D Lowers PTH

PTH Context: “PTH inhibited mitochondrial respiration… The reduction of oxidative phosphorylation may result in decreased ATP synthesis. These events may cause long-term adverse effects of PTH on the myocardium…” — Rodriguez, et al. (2009)
"Optimal vitamin D status, defined by estimated maximum PTH suppression, does not occur until at least 25-D levels ≥40 ng/ml [100 nmol/l].” — Ginde, et al. (2012)
“In healthy persons, the reference (normal) range for serum PTH is known to decline as serum 25-D levels increase. Therefore, the theoretical plateau in PTH, as 25-D increases, can be used as a determinant in establishing the adequacy of vitamin D status.” — Muscogiuri G., et al. (2014)

PTH Increases Serotonin, Prolactin, and Aldosterone

Serotonin Context: “...We argue that the evolved function of the serotonergic system is energy regulation—which we define as the coordination of metabolic processes with the storage, mobilization, distribution, production and utilization of energetic resources to meet adaptive demands.” Andrews, et al. (2015)
“Release of serotonin and histamine was demonstrated with 25 units/ml PTH or higher.” … “These results demonstrate that elevated levels of PTH can induce mast cell secretion in vitro and in vivo and suggest a possible role for mast cells in the pathophysiology of non-allergic disease states.” — Tsakolos, et al. (1983)
“…Our results suggest that serotonin could be one of the factors regulating PTH secretion and/or contributing to PTH hypersecretion in various forms of primary hyperparathyroidism.” — Zimmerman, et al. (1980)

TheSir

Avoiding stuff that inflames you in the first place is the way, not stopping the inflammation once it occurs.
Yes, this is the function of vit D. It helps the body prevent situations that require inflammatory processes to address. It does not stop detoxing or prevent the necessary inflammatory processes from activating.

"Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) specifically mobilizes calcium from the bones
into the blood stream. This can lead to excess calcium in the blood
(hypercalcemia), kidney failure, central nervous system depression and
heart failure. Hence, it's a great poison."

Is this vitamin D3 poisoning from taking it orally only or topically too?

sunny

My reply stated that your quoted article had an erroneous statement.

Vitamin D does not do that.

PTH parathyroid hormone is what mobilizes calcium from the bones.

Vitamin D reduces parathyroid hormone. It is protective of bones.

sunny

You have a post talking about how your family watched in amazement as your transparent teeth filled back in while taking vitamin d and k2. That I think is evidence that vitamin d puts calcium where it should be.

TucsonJJ

How does it destroy the kidneys? Too much excretion of calcium? Hypertension?

More vitamin D3 needs more vitamin K2 and magnesium.

At least 1 mg MK-4 and 100 mcg MK-7 per 10,000 IU.

I've been over 50,000 IU for 2+ years and serum calcium is always in range. Near the top, but still in range.
50,000 IU daily? Interesting! Why did you go so high? Liposomal or regular D3? Any noticeable health benefits? Do you take K2 with it, and how much? magnesium ditto?

sunny

This has probably been posted, but if anyone is trying to decide which side of the vitamin D fence they fall on and they have not heard directly from Dr Raymond Peat on the subject, this interview with him about Vitamin D is something you will want to listen to.

View: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/53-vitamin-d-calcium-and-mineral-metabolism-with-dr/id1488713797?i=1000526335665

I personally would love to make all my d in the sun, but I don't have the luxury at the moment, so I fall in the Ray Peat camp. I do use it topically, I drink raw milk which should have some.

You have a post talking about how your family watched in amazement as your transparent teeth filled back in while taking vitamin d and k2. That I think is evidence that vitamin d puts calcium where it should be.
Yes I did fill my teeth in with D and K and calcium from milk, but it doesn’t mean that it was good for me to take thise supplements for an extended period of time. I could have achieved the same with food and sun, but I didn’t know back then the about the side effects of supplements. When I did learn about their dangers, I quit them all and my health got tremendously better. So I never took them again.