Is There A Safe And Effective Contraceptive?

wiggles92

Estrogen obviously is very effective as a contraceptive, but it works as an abortificient (am I spelling that correctly? it's not a recognised word...) and comes with all the unpleasant, dangerous side effects of consuming the primary stress hormone. I know many women that have got progressively more emotional and depressed from taking this, but they never seem to think this could possibly be the problem. People just don't think.

Then there are progestins and progestogen. Progestogen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've found it incredibly difficult to get to the bottom of how these differ to natural progesterone. It's actually quite pathetic that with so many people taking hormones that stop one of the primary functions of the human body, there isn't much information about what these substances are.

I mean, for example, the UK NHS website just says:

"The implant steadily releases the hormone progestogen into your bloodstream. Progestogen is similar to the natural hormone progesterone, which is released by a woman's ovaries during her period."

Progestogen is almost colloquial. It seems to just mean "yeaahhh it's a bit like progesterone and stuff. You can call it progestin if you want, it's all the same dude".

I've searched across the forum for a solution to this problem. Like I say, it seems such an important issue, and very little discussion is based on empiricism. It shocks me really, not so much the forum discussion, but the dearth of information online. People will go to extremes of getting all organic vegan quinoa, but then just take this pill that stops you being able to have a baby, and not think the slightest. They'll get all militant about someone smoking a cigarette outdoors 20 metres away from them, but not think about this pill. It's crazy really.

So there are several options. I personally have no interest in the solution (as a man), but for women out there, surely the esteemed Ray Peat Forum can rally their collective knowledge and work out what is a convenient, safe and effective approach to this conundrum. Here are the options as I can tell.

- estrogen only
- combined pill
- progestin only
- progestogen implant or pill
- copper IUD- is this comparatively safer? and more importantly, could i implant one rectally and never have to eat liver again?
- use of progesterone: i've yet to get any definitive answer on whether this really is effective. not only that, it's hinted that you may have to be meticulous with dosage and timing, and even then you may have to carefully place some in the vagina pre-intercourse. it sounds like a baby waiting to happen, and otherwise still a day-to-day headache. and perhaps the relaxant effects at doses required to prevent pregnancy make it prohibitive as a sustainable contraceptive?
- i saw some newspaper article for a smartphone family planning-esque approach, but it seemed to require daily temperature taking, and at the same time everyday when you wake up. if you get up at 7am in the week for work, and then at 10am at weekends, this could be really troublesome. perhaps i have not understood it properly.

ideally there would be some pill-style solution out there which works and does not cause the damage these other solutions do. perhaps it cannot be created. maybe we are biologically designed to not be allowed to tamper with fertility, and the consequences are inevitable with any approach.

scarlettsmum

Yep, condoms. I really don't understand why so many people dislike using them. When used properly, they work very well, in 15 years only 2 split and no unplanned pregnancy. Then there's also FAM, fertility awareness method, that we used to get pregnant, but I would still feel safer using condoms.

OP
W

wiggles92

Yep, condoms. I really don't understand why so many people dislike using them. When used properly, they work very well, in 15 years only 2 split and no unplanned pregnancy. Then there's also FAM, fertility awareness method, that we used to get pregnant, but I would still feel safer using condoms.
Condoms work yes. But as can be seen by the number of women choosing a daily pill over enforcing condom use, they don't really solve the issue. And it doesn't feel as good. It's like trying to enjoy a fine steak with a peg on your nose. Might as well not bother. Or at least that's the opinion a significant number of people.

OP
W

wiggles92

Go to the bottom of the page in this link-

Progesterone and conception

the failure rate is very good. thanks for the link, if even only for that. now i can be semi-sure if progesterone was used, it's likely going to work out just fine. Maybe I'm just being a real dumbass but for the life of me I can't work out what a woman should do to use progesterone as a contraceptive.

Is it that you take 100mg (or more dependent on whether you get PMS?!?) from day 8 of your cycle?

HDD

the failure rate is very good. thanks for the link, if even only for that. now i can be semi-sure if progesterone was used, it's likely going to work out just fine. Maybe I'm just being a real dumbass but for the life of me I can't work out what a woman should do to use progesterone as a contraceptive.

Is it that you take 100mg (or more dependent on whether you get PMS?!?) from day 8 of your cycle?

Yea, it isn't real clear. I believe Katarina Dalton is the originator of this and wrote "Once a Month", which addresses pms in much of her book. There are some other threads discussing the use of progesterone for contraception. I can't recall right now if there was a conclusion about dosage in those. I'll try to locate them. I have family members on the pill and would like to have an alternative that includes dosage to suggest to them.

"Start on Day 8 of the cycle with a low dose of progesterone, and keep it up until menstruation or - for PMS sufferers - the day when you start on the bigger, anti-PMS dose. A daily dose of 100 mg (half a 200 mg suppository) or a 400 mg suppository are equally effective. (Many women who will use 400 mg of progesterone two to six times daily from ovulation onwards prefer to take one 400 mg suppository in the follicular phase rather than having to get 200 mg suppositories as well.)"

Emstar1892

The copper iud is horrible, barbaric and medieval!

Copper is a spermicide, so you just walk around with a toxic uterus for 5-15 years depending on how long you want the torture.

Secondly, and what a lot of women don't know, is that the IUD primarily works by causing local inflammation, which causes a build up of mucus, preventing fertilisation further. The inflammation activates an immune response, and often leads to very painful contractions (women think these are just heavier cramps and totally normal), as the body tries to reject the foreign object. Rejections are common, and when they go wrong, they can embed into the womb wall itself ( causing infertility.)

HDD

These are the threads I was referring to-

Contraceptive Pill
Quote from Rayser from the above thread- "Dr. Katharina Dalton has done a lot of research on progesterone as birth control (You don't get it in a pill!). You'll find all the information in her book. I use progest-e-complex as a birth control and so do many of my friends. No unwanted pregnancies since 2009. The method is as safe as the estrogen pill. You use the drops 3 times a day (I use a pea-sized drop on my tongue) and stop for 4 to 5 days before you start again."

Progest-E For Contraception

HDD

Had to chuckle a bit at this part. It's like "Oh, great! It's as safe as estrogen! For a sec there I was worried..." :shock:

:fearscream::tearsofjoy: I guess a better way to say it would have been "..as effective as the estrogen pill"

Parsifal

GF doesn't want to use condoms and I don't want her to use birth pill. Wonder what would work.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals