Supplementing Estrogen

Journey

Was just reading an article on a transgender person who has to inject estradiol in order to acquire feminine attributes and wondered in terms of Ray Peat's views of the noxiousness of estrogen on the body how would that play out on people who are supplementing it in early adulthood?

Would similar negative effects on health be observed such as when estrogen dominance is seen in older adults - in addition to evidently some wanted side effects?

Just trying to understand more fully the role of estrogen family - if anyone has any opinions/views on the above?

tara

I think @SaltGirl may have done some research in related areas?

Last edited:
I'm not sure you can answer this without offending at least someone...

Tarmander

I'm not sure you can answer this without offending at least someone...

latest

So should we go ahead and discuss estrogen?

Well, it definitely does the job, doesn't it? What we know as female traits are adaptations towards reproduction. In yeast, estrogen prepares for a certain kind of cell division, which of course at that point in evolution is the same as reproduction. In our body it will do both—make cells proliferate, and make the whole organism proliferate. The entire effort is pointed towards creating new life that has both energy and structure; these must come from our own stores.

Tarmander

Well, it definitely does the job, doesn't it? What we know as female traits are adaptations towards reproduction. In yeast, estrogen prepares for a certain kind of cell division, which of course at that point in evolution is the same as reproduction. In our body it will do both—make cells proliferate, and make the whole organism proliferate. The entire effort is pointed towards creating new life that has both energy and structure; these must come from our own stores.

Interesting. So would you say the growth of connections in your brain utilizes estrogen?

MommaBear

I'm new here and I have a daughter with turner'a syndrome meaning she's missing an x chromosome and one effect is she will not go thru spontaneous puberty. The Drs put her on estradiol to develop breastst and widen hips. Progesterone will be added later to start her period and give her a burst of bone density. Otherwise osteoporosis will hit her in her 20s.

Estrogen hardens the growth plates and stops growth in girls when they go thru puberty.

These are my understandings of hormones atm.
The added estradiol caused her to gain excessive weight FAST and caused her to have seizures with each new patch. We have since stopped using the hormones as I need to learn more.

Last edited:
OP
J

Journey

Confusing indeed.

And I wish MommaBear all the luck in her research to help her daughter.

Estrogen evidently has a positive role somewhere but self-administering hormones for a variety of different reasons seems to be a bit of a game of shifting roulette.

A doctor in UK was totally adamant just a few weeks ago that progesterone supplementing in menopause is useless and insisted that estrogen is now thought of as worth the risk and perfectly acceptable. Wouldn't consider even for a tiniest moment that progesterone could help menopausal symptoms. But would have stuffed me full of estrogen...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals