haidut

This has been stated by Peat a few times but usually the assumption has been that pregnenolone converts into progesterone and that is how it exerts its anti-estrogenic effects. This older study claims that pregnenolone (also called delta-5-pregnenolone) is directly antagonistic to estrogen (estradiol). In addition, it is well known that pregnenolone reduces the excretion of the 17-ketosteroid estrone. Estrone is a much more reliable biomarker of estrogenic status than blood levels of estradiol.
As a side note, the same quote points out that stilbestrol is a more potent estrogen than estrone and estriol. Resveratrol is a type of stilbestrol, so keep that in mind when somebody tried to convince you of resveratrol's beenfits. Given that pregnenolone antagonizes both estrone and estriol, it may be able to server as antagonist to resveratrol just like niacinamide.

Physiology of reproduction. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Estrogen is antagonized by Delta-5-pregnenolone (155) and by progesterone (156); the two have different effects on Plalypoecilus maculatus (157). Estrogen induces mating in spayed adrenalectomized rats (158). When given with progesterone, it induces endometrial hyperplasia in diabetics (159), but it causes an inconstant luteinizing reaction in ovaries of normal individuals (160). It produces changes in the human vaginal smear in the following order of effectiveness; stilbestrol, estrone, estriol (161)."

In addition, pregenolone sulfate is capable of inhibiting both estrone-sulfatase and 17a-HSD, which are responsible for the synthesis of estrone and estradiol respectively. Pharma drugs that target inhibition of these two enzymes are in clinical trials for breast cancer.

Inhibition of estrone sulfatase and 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase by antiestrogens. - PubMed - NCBI

"...The steroid sulfates (pregnenolone sulfate and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate) on the other hand, act as competitive inhibitors with Kis ranging from 4 to 6 microM. ICI 164384 and the tamoxifen metabolite 4-hydroxytamoxifen also blocked 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase at concentrations of 470 and 275 microM, respectively. In human breast tumors, 4-hydroxytamoxifen and desmethyltamoxifen blocked estrone sulfatase and 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase but at higher concentrations than in the rat (i.e. IC50s of 1000-2000 microM). The inhibition caused by the antiestrogens requires concentrations at least 100-fold higher than those necessary for antiestrogenic effects. Although blockade of enzyme action is significant in vitro, and could also be in vivo, the effects of antiestrogens on enzyme inhibition are likely to be outweighed by their ability to block estrogen receptor-mediated effects in patients."

Last edited:

i8bs

Yes it does deserve more recognition. Especially if someone knowledgeable can help to tease out its practical implications.

Makrosky

Yes it does deserve more recognition. Especially if someone knowledgeable can help to tease out its practical implications.
Grab some popcorn and type "pregnenolone" in the search box. Tell your friends you aren't going out this weekend :-D

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
haidut Pregnenolone Is A (functional) Estrogen Antagonist Scientific Studies 14
F Could Pregnenolone be the reason why I feel bad on TRT? (estrogen antagonism?) Ask For Help or Advice 33
haidut Pregnenolone (P5) Fully Prevents Testicular Atrophy Due To Steroid (ab)use Or High Estrogen Scientific Studies 71
debored13 Pregnenolone, Diosgenin, Estrogen And Its Effects Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 18
haidut Cortisol/Estrogen Impair Fertility; Progesterone/Pregnenolone Improve It Scientific Studies 7
gilson dantas Pregnenolone Versus Estrogen - A Very Simple Question Metabolism 49
JohnBonham Pregnenolone And Estrogen Dominance Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 13
G Any drawbacks to dissolving pregnenolone w/o vitamin E Ask For Help or Advice 0
F Pregnenolone powder dosing Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 12
Soren Pregnenolone vs Progesterone for Back Pain, Endotoxin, Parkinsons Disease Ask For Help or Advice 6
J Pregnenolone Ask For Help or Advice 1
S Pregnenolone vs Progesterone for under developed cognitive function Ask For Help or Advice 65
A How much pregnenolone do adults endogenously manufacture? Blood Work, Labs 1
haidut Stress causes/exacerbates allergies, pregnenolone/progesterone therapeutic Scientific Studies 2
F How to lower Progesterone? and how long till supplemented Pregnenolone leaves my system? Ask For Help or Advice 7
S Best source of pregnenolone Thyroid and Hormones 15
Pina High morning cortisol should I avoid pregnenolone before bed? Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 13
L Regularly using pregnenolone/vit K/methylene blue, any of these "too good to be true" substances stops you from progressing in life Interviews 56
J Complex dhea prostate pregnenolone advice needed Male Issues 20
calvert79 Pregnenolone making me angry? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 24
P Pregnenolone/Progesterone help? Ask For Help or Advice 1
U Pregnenolone is like a magic pill for me Ask For Help or Advice 5
N Pregnenolone Pregnenolone 0
E Can Pregnenolone replace Progesterone temporarily during Pregnancy? Female Issues 1
O Pregnenolone Powder Won't Dissolve in DMSO Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 17
V Pregnenolone, Progesterone, DHEA supplementation advice Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 12
F Pregnenolone & or DHEA on TRT for anxiety&hair loss Ask For Help or Advice 5
M Pregnenolone supplementation causing hairloss Pregnenolone 12
ddjd progesterone causing headaches + poor sleep. pregnenolone completely relieves symptoms Ask For Help or Advice 11
Epistrophy Pregnenolone + Testosterone Base = All natural pain killer Experiments 31
Jon444 Your experience with progesterone, T3/T4 and pregnenolone Health 19
deliciousfruit Pregnenolone makes me suicidal Ask For Help or Advice 19
pauljacob Pregnenolone Gave Me Vertigo Pregnenolone 10
deliciousfruit Is pregnenolone safe for adolescents? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 4
haidut Oral pregnenolone as hormone replacement therapy (HRT) in humans Scientific Studies 16
ddjd ways to increase CYP11A activity other than K2MK4? Cholesterol→Pregnenolone Ask For Help or Advice 11
O Those Who Tried Oral Pregnenolone: Did You Notice A Facelift Effect? Polls 6
pauljacob Can I Break Open A Niacinamide, Pregnenolone Capsule? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 4
cjmorin Pregnenolone Hair Fall? Hair & Nails 18
cjmorin Pregnenolone Hair Fall? Hair & Nails 0
K I Took 100mg Pregnenolone ED For Years - Please Help Me Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 69
E Pregnenolone Solo Ask For Help or Advice 5
B Central Serous Retinopathy / (Piracetam/Pregnenolone/TRT/Cortison) Health 21
R Pregnenolone Improving Posture/muscle Tightness? Supplements 11
J Male 25 / Pregnenolone 50mg - Hot Flashes - Raising Metabolism? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
E Philosopher AI About Pregnenolone Pregnenolone 11
E If Anyone Is Interested I'll Be Sharing COA Of Douglas Labs Pregnenolone Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
haidut Pregnenolone (P5) May Be Ergogenic And Helps Recovery From Exercise Scientific Studies 0
ScurveDream DHEA Or Pregnenolone To Combat Possible Caffeine-induced Stress? Ask For Help or Advice 9
Cecilia L. High Pregnenolone, High Progesterone, High Estradiol, Low D Female Issues 13