Spironolactone for women — what are the risks?

OP
vrd2107

vrd2107

Thanks for this lead. I will look into it. I have enjoyed the effects from spironolactone overall but I would rather not be dependent on it to maintain them.
Yeah the idea of being dependent on any substance whether it’s “natural” or not really bothers me in general. Taking progesterone has helped me in the past but less so lately and it has never solved my PMDD symptoms. Tea, progesterone, or drugs — they definitely are not all the same level of risk of course but having to be religious about dosing of any sort just activates my neuroses. On the other hand I can’t put my life on pause for two weeks out of the month because of extreme pelvic pain, dysphoria, and exhaustion.

CreakyJoints

Although he was discussing it specifically in the context of topical use in men, Travis made some interesting posts on this drug, and IIRC referenced at least one study done in women. They might be of interest - I'm sorry I don't have anything unique to contribute, and I've given you some work to do sorting through them, but perhaps you can find something of use in there.

Risingfire

Hi there, can you expand on this? In what way, what are the effects? Thank you!
I used a topical version on my head. Seems to make me feel a little dizzy and my blood sugar was off. Everything normalized after I discontinued.

OP
vrd2107

vrd2107

I understand the principles for why men wouldn’t want to take this drug, but is there any risk in taking this drug as a woman?
Hi folks. I’m back here to report that I ended up trying spironolactone. I have been on it for about a month and a half now. So far, it has vastly improved my acne and skin texture restoring my skin to what it was before I began experiencing more intense hormonal acne flare ups. It’s also helped with digestive symptoms I have been having for a year now and they have essentially resolved entirely. I have my theories about why this is working for me and why the digestive/gastrointestinal symptoms resolved. Absolutely nothing but this medicine has reduced the hormonal acne flare ups. Before trying spironolactone I tried dosing Hadiut’s progesterone and many OTC topical products. My skin is finally back to normal and I can finally eat a raw vegetable without my entire week going off the rails. Hope this is helpful to any women considering this drug.

ursidae

I've had several doctors prescribe it to me. Never took it. I have the same jaw line acne on my jawline before periods
It started when I tried peating in late 2019 and I could never get rid of it since then. My entire skin changed

I'm trying ovasitol for this. Will report back if it finally gets rid of this issue

ursidae

I've had several doctors prescribe it to me. Never took it. I have the same jaw line acne on my jawline before periods
It started when I tried peating in late 2019 and I could never get rid of it since then. My entire skin changed

I'm trying ovasitol for this. Will report back if it finally gets rid of this issue

update: I've breaking out in cystic jawline hormonal acne relentlessly since I started ovasitol. Nasty deep acne forming every day, worst breakout I've had in years. Hirsutism is also worse. Based on reviews I read online, it's possible I got the bad new version of it. Will be considering conventional medicine options next because that was 400 bucks down the drain for something that made my androgenic symptoms worse. Too bad.

Did you have any hairloss from spiro OP? I'm gonna consider trying this because nothing else has worked

OP
vrd2107

vrd2107

update: I've breaking out in cystic jawline hormonal acne relentlessly since I started ovasitol. Nasty deep acne forming every day, worst breakout I've had in years. Hirsutism is also worse. Based on reviews I read online, it's possible I got the bad new version of it. Will be considering conventional medicine options next because that was 400 bucks down the drain for something that made my androgenic symptoms worse. Too bad.

Did you have any hairloss from spiro OP? I'm gonna consider trying this because nothing else has worked
No, in fact it has made my hair thicker and I have a bunch of baby hairs on my hairline now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals