Recovery from overmedication of Thyroid Hormone

OP
R

routepitcher

I don’t think so. Real world experience usually shows otherwise.

I think one of the most outrageous myths that circulates on this forum is you can supplement thyroid for a while, come off, and be back to pre-supplementation function in a matter of days.

I experimented with NDT for a month, then quit. I was hypo for a month after.
You know, I was in the same boat as you thinking that, but I have not seen a single study or medical warning saying otherwise. Even the medical establishment which is fairly critical of using NDT can't even pull something up about the dangers. Would love some alternative push back to this though, definitely want this challenged. But I think Ray would talk about how you could use Thyroid for a bit and slowly wean off to get your body functioning properly...

OP
R

routepitcher

Alright, while I still have some activeness on this thread. My temperature has finally been increasing with HR as well, but it's been very inconsistent. I have yet to get anything to stabilize. Morning temps are still low and will increase up to 98.6 range in the afternoon/late afternoon. I assume this is the system balancing itself out as it's taking over from the stress hormones. Anyone have any experience/quotes from Ray/broda barnes/etc for how long this process can take. I started taking the b-vitamins + NDT 3 weeks ago. Possibly another 2-3 weeks to give a full picture?

OP
R

routepitcher

Thanks for the follow up. What did it feel like when you had a “terrible fit of hyperthyroidism”?
anxiety, bad digestion, hot flashes, stress hormone dominance versus efficient metabolism from NDT... metabolism was too high and stress hormones making up for gaps in nutrition.

OP
R

routepitcher

I'm glad you figured this out. Although its something you probably should have known before delving into thyroid supplementation. Broda Barnes and Peat have both written about this, and Danny Roddy also in his great article about thyroid supplementation.
You know, they don't talk too much about b-vitamin supplementation. More an emphasis on good diet: liver being the important factor. B-vitamins I have seen are a good addition if system has been under chronic stress, otherwise an otherwise healthy person slightly hypo should be okay if eating balanced diet. Hell, Broda Barnes rarely talks about other supplements and says to use prednisone for cases when you don't respond well [Riddle of Heart Attacks] (correct me if I'm wrong).

OP
R

routepitcher

It looks like you're on too little at 1/2 grain... TSH should be close to zero when on an optimal dose of NDT. You probably were right on target at 1.5 grains and then went hyper when you bumped it up to two. You did well slowly going up over a couple months... but adding in those B's will certainly help. Try to get your temps to normalize at 1 grain and see where you're at... Also, if you are taking it all at the same time, that can be the problem... most on here recommend "nibbles"...
I'll be much more cautious increasing this time around and really give my body time to adjust. I'm a relatively young guy so I doubt I need more than a grain.

N

Ned Nederlander

You know, I was in the same boat as you thinking that, but I have not seen a single study or medical warning saying otherwise. Even the medical establishment which is fairly critical of using NDT can't even pull something up about the dangers. Would love some alternative push back to this though, definitely want this challenged. But I think Ray would talk about how you could use Thyroid for a bit and slowly wean off to get your body functioning properly...

I don’t care about the lack of medical warnings or studies. IMO, I just don’t think many people recover in a couple of days after discontinuing systemic thyroid use, especially not if they were using T4 or NDT. It’s not some major life threatening side effect for most, but generally annoying hypo symptoms show up and linger for a while after quitting (cold extremities, low energy, low temps, etc).

OP
R

routepitcher

I don’t care about the lack of medical warnings or studies. IMO, I just don’t think many people recover in a couple of days after discontinuing systemic thyroid use, especially not if they were using T4 or NDT. It’s not some major life threatening side effect for most, but generally annoying hypo symptoms show up and linger for a while after quitting (cold extremities, low energy, low temps, etc).
Oh I believe that. Depends on how young/how long you've been using them as well. What I was getting at is I do not believe that once those symptoms resolve the gland would be performing any different.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals