Experimenting with thyroid hormone

noodlecat

I am taking 1mcg of t3 4-6x a day, and 1 drop of tyromax every other day. I think thats almost a 1:1 t3:t4 ratio or thereabout. I am about 4-5 days in.

I don't think I am clinically hypothyroid, but I experienced major stresses a few years ago and I want to recover to health, especially physically and begin exercising again. I haven't been able to due to muscle tension issues making physical activity unenjoyable.

With thyroid, I feel very good during the afternoon and my mornings are getting better. I also have a higher appetite and am eating more meals. I am really craving sugar, especially sodas and juice and fruit and milk. I sometimes drink 3-4 cans of coke in the span of a couple hours in the afternoon and evening. At night I feel ok.

The positives:
-chronic muscle tension spontaneously resolving. especially in my feet, ankle, calves.
-good mood and more enjoyment of daily activities
-more motivation to work and slightly more resilency to stress
-warmer
-less desire to smoke tobacco
-less waking up at night to drink milk or juice. used to be 2-3 times a night, now only once and sometimes not at all when I will sleep right through.
-better sense of smell, posture, and smoother/clearer breathing

the negatives:
-some weird anxiety upon feeling better. feeling good and having natural movement due to dissapating muscle tension is something i haven't experienced in a long time, so it is new and sometimes can be strange. this aspect is kind of minor but worth mentioning. I experienced a lot of negative things in the period my health got bad and I feel like releasing that trauma as the tension relieves I experience some weird stuff.
-at night sometimes i get cold and weird feeling. going to try eating more snacks at night.

I don't have a thermometer yet but my pulse is around 70-75 when I feel my best. It goes as low as 55-60 when I don't feel that good. I get the sense if I can maintain 75-85 throughout the daytime I will achieve the health that I want to exist as I desire.

I am going to start tracking temps and keeping caloric intake and nutrition density up. I'm considering only doing 1mcg t3 3x a day and 1 drop tyromax at night as I'm wary about over shooting what I am trying to achieve.

mostlylurking

I am really craving sugar, especially sodas and juice and fruit and milk. I sometimes drink 3-4 cans of coke in the span of a couple hours in the afternoon and evening. At night I feel ok.
That's a lot of sugar. Ray Peat's idea of the ideal amount of sugar to consume is the sugar that's in 2 quarts of milk plus a quart of orange juice. You might consider doing the math of this amount of sugar vs the amount of sugar you describe ingesting above.
I don't have a thermometer yet but my pulse is around 70-75 when I feel my best. It goes as low as 55-60 when I don't feel that good. I get the sense if I can maintain 75-85 throughout the daytime I will achieve the health that I want to exist as I desire.
Please consider the possibility that you could have an issue with a thiamine deficiency. Thiamine deficiency will block oxidative metabolism just like hypothyroidism does. A high sugar intake uses up thiamine and can result in a deficiency. The symptoms of hypothyroidism and thiamine deficiency have some identical symptoms because of the blocked oxidative metabolism. Some of these are: low body temperature, high inflammation, low energy. Sugar intake and thiamine stores need to be in sync.

OP
N

noodlecat

That's a lot of sugar. Ray Peat's idea of the ideal amount of sugar to consume is the sugar that's in 2 quarts of milk plus a quart of orange juice. You might consider doing the math of this amount of sugar vs the amount of sugar you describe ingesting above.

Please consider the possibility that you could have an issue with a thiamine deficiency. Thiamine deficiency will block oxidative metabolism just like hypothyroidism does. A high sugar intake uses up thiamine and can result in a deficiency. The symptoms of hypothyroidism and thiamine deficiency have some identical symptoms because of the blocked oxidative metabolism. Some of these are: low body temperature, high inflammation, low energy. Sugar intake and thiamine stores need to be in sync.

I started taking 7-10mg of TTFD. I took it half a year ago so I don't think I would be that low.

I think I read ray say 300-400g carbohydrate a day is ok. 4 cans of cola is about 140g I think.

aniciete

I started taking 7-10mg of TTFD. I took it half a year ago so I don't think I would be that low.

I think I read ray say 300-400g carbohydrate a day is ok. 4 cans of cola is about 140g I think.
You aren’t getting any vitamins from 4 cans of cola unlike milk + oj

mostlylurking

I think you're guessing. If you are sort of low on your thiamine intake then consuming some sugar can really wreak havoc. Because everybody's thiamine status is different, the amount of sugar one can safely consume varies. Thiamine is water soluble and so doesn't stick around long, couple of hours. But there's info online that the body does store some thiamine for as long as two weeks.

OP
N

noodlecat

I think you're guessing. If you are sort of low on your thiamine intake then consuming some sugar can really wreak havoc. Because everybody's thiamine status is different, the amount of sugar one can safely consume varies. Thiamine is water soluble and so doesn't stick around long, couple of hours. But there's info online that the body does store some thiamine for as long as two weeks.
ttfd is fat soluble or at least behaves as if it were. i have a binder full of studies on it and have taken three different forms of it on and off for a couple years.

Last edited:
OP
N

noodlecat

was gonna make a new thread but remembered i have this one:

im experimenting with small doses of thyroid. currently on 2.5mcg/2.5mcg t4:t3. i've been taking thyroid about 2 weeks with varying doses.

my health is ok but i struggle with muscle tension and i know i could feel better. the muscle tension hampers my lust for life. my experience in past 2 weeks mini-dosing thyroid has shown me there is potential for total recovery to good health though.

the first week almost i took t3 only 1mcg at a time 3-6x a day. i had good euphoria first day and a nearly profound relaxation which felt very good. heart rate is 85bpm when i felt best during the day. i added 1 drop of tyromax at bedtime a few nights a week, then every night. this was 1:1 ratio nearly on days i took it. for the last two days, i switched to tyromix (t4) + tyronene (t3). what i noticed is i felt great during days but at night i felt a little off, a little cold and nervous. shortly ago my heart rate was about 95, it was 100 earlier today after coffee also, but i had cold extremities.

unfortunately for last two days i didnt eat as much and i seem to have to catch up with nutrition, so i only took 2.5mcg t4 and 2.5mcg t3 today. i ate liver and ice cream and a few other meals today to try to catch up with my nutrition.

ok so what i want to say is the positive effect on muscle tension is good but the thyroid, even at such a small dose requires very good nutrition. when i experienced good effects it is very good, but when i didnt eat enough it was pretty bad. the muscle tenseness and nervousness and coldness, anxiety is pretty bad if underfed. i took 100mg phenibut tonight after eating liver because i was feeling too much nervousness. im hoping the nutrition from the food today fills in the gaps in the meanwhile.

the other thing, and people who have dealt with fibromyalgia might know this, is the release of tension in one area often exposes some weird feelings in the fascia emotionally and physically as the tissues begin to relax and move freely. it can be weird but overall it seems good. i got an amazing relaxation in a tight achilles tendon that had been bothering me for ages and even though the couple days after of being underfed brought the tension back, i can feel the improvement and also the potential for continued improvement. i hope that makes sense.

anyways i am thinking of keeping lowering my dose of thyroid to nearly nothing and then going for bloodwork, and keeping track of my temp and pulse better.

if anyone can tell me what to get done on my blood work that would be much appreciated