Quorn Protein Builds Muscle Better Than Milk Protein

Kartoffel

And so it begins. I expect we will hear a lot of good stuff about Frankenstein proteins in the future.

Kartoffel

Actually, after having a look this quorn stuff doesn't look so bad compared to other vegan protein foods. It's made from fungi, and so the protein should be relatively high-quality. It also contains quite a bit of insoluble fiber. The high PUFA content and the other ingredients suck, though.

SOMO

I looked into Quorn a long time ago and decided NOT to consume it, even though on paper it appears healthy.

1. There is evidence that Quorn has caused severe ANAPHALYCTIC/ALLERGENIC effects in some people.
Allergic reactions to Quorn products are usually caused by an allergy to its mycoprotein content – a fungal protein derived from the fungus Fusarium venenatum. The information provided here is aimed at people who are allergic to Quorn, or think they may be allergic, so that they can better understand their symptoms and are able to ensure they have the appropriate treatment.
Quorn - Anaphylaxis Campaign

Apparently even death has occurred from this meat substitute.

Some people react the first time they eat Quorn, while some react only after building up a sensitivity. Two deaths have been linked to Quorn. The parents of an 11-year-old California boy sued the maker of Quorn in March 2015.

quorn-2x3.jpg

Medical studies have proven that Quorn's fungal ingredient is an allergen, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the United Kingdom's Food Standards Agency still allow its sale. All of us at CSPI have heard from more than 2,000 consumers in Europe, the United States, and Australia/New Zealand who suffered reactions to Quorn.

Medical Evidence Shows that Quorn Causes Adverse Reactions
The first evidence that Quorn causes severe vomiting and stomach ache came in 1977 from a clinical study conducted by the developer of Quorn. That research was never published. In subsequent years, more research has demonstrated that Quorn causes gastrointestinal and other adverse reactions, including hives and breathing difficulties. These are the key studies:

RHM (unpublished 1977-78 study)

This controlled clinical study was conducted by the company that developed Quorn. Ten percent of the 200 subjects who ate Quorn experienced nausea, vomiting, or stomach ache, compared to five percent of 100 subjects in a control group. This is the first known study that demonstrated that Quorn could cause adverse effects. It appears that when Marlow Foods notified the Food and Drug Administration that Quorn should be considered "Generally Recognized As Safe," it did not acknowledge the existence or results of this study. It is not known whether the study was submitted to the British government when Quorn was first used. The study was obtained from a food additive petition filed with the FDA.
Quorn | Center for Science in the Public Interest

2. Quorn is a mycoprotein and some (NOT ALL) mycoproteins are also mycotoxins.
Fusarin - Wikipedia

-Quorn is produced by Fusarium fungi, the same species as the fungi that make Fusarin.

3. Fusarium fungi that make Quorn can possibly produce cross-reactive proteins.

And there's no real way for food manufacturers or consumers to test whether Quorn is allergenic.

Peter Duesberg states that many antibodies and their associated proteins cross-react, so allergy testing would not uncover whether you were reacting immunologically to Quorn. Even if an allergy test showed you were non-reactive to black mold/fusarin toxin, you may react immunologically to Quorn:
Since even the simplest microbes display thousands of antibody docking sites, termed epitopes, antibodies against a given microbe may cross-react with an otherwise unrelated microbe if the two share some epitopes.

These antibodies have been shown to cross–react with T–lymphocytes [16],

https://www.duesberg.com/articles/new/1990, Perspectives in Biol and Med Root Bernstein.pdf

The Anaphalaxys awareness websites acknowledges cross-reactivity between Quorn and Mold/Fungi:
What else might I react to?
People who are allergic to Quorn may also suffer allergy symptoms when they are exposed to mould spores. This is because of a process called cross-reactivity – where the proteins in one food or substance share potential allergenic characteristics with those in another food or substance.

Researchers reported the case of a nine-year- old girl who suffered generalised nettle rash, asthma and abdominal pain a few minutes after eating Quorn in a canteen. The study team found she was allergic to both Quorn and mould. They concluded:

“Physicians should be aware that Quorn mycoprotein may cause food allergic reactions in mould-sensitised patients and should think of this allergen especially in vegetarian people.” (Morel-Conreanu et al, 2015)

If you are sensitised to mould, it is important to remember that it can form anywhere: from window frames to decaying food. Try to reduce your exposure if possible.

4. There is some concern that Peanut Allergies may be an immune reponse to Aflatoxin/Black Mold Toxin that is present on the peanut shell and transferred to the peanut.
Peanuts tend to be grown in warm climates and as a result things can get pretty humid. Fungus can grow, and this results in increased use of fungicides being applied to non-organic peanut crops.
The fungus itself is not what we need to worry about (though the increasing levels of fungicides raises concern), but there is a poison that is released from the fungus known as “aflatoxin”. This cancer causing agent can attack the liver and is a deadly toxin. Scientists have expressed concern over low-level, long-term exposures to aflatoxin. According to Cornell University, studies have shown a correlation with liver cancer risk.

Because the peanut is also a big target for little pests, peanuts are also one of the crops most heavily routinely saturated with pesticides.

Most of the peanuts consumed in the U.S. are now one of the most pesticide-contaminated snacks we eat. The USDA Pesticide Data Program found 8 pesticides on peanut butter. Piperonyl butoxide was found 26.9% of the time.

According to the National Pesticide Information Center, piperonyl butoxide is considered a possible human carcinogen based on limited evidence of cancer in laboratory animals. Piperonyl Butoxide (PBO), a highly toxic substance that causes a range of short- and long-term effects, including cancer and adverse impacts on liver function and the nervous system, is one of the most commonly used synergists in pesticide products. Synergists are chemicals added to pesticide formulations to enhance the toxicity of the active ingredients.

As it turns out, peanuts and these pesticides aren’t the only ingredients in peanut butter. Conventional peanut butters can contain hydrogenated oils, sugar, salt and other ingredients such as soy protein, corn syrup and stabilizers. Many of these ingredients can be genetically engineered to either produce their own insecticidal toxins or to withstand increasing doses of weed killer. In other words, you’re getting a whole suite of products along with that peanut.

Aflatoxins can be present in either conventional or organic making refrigeration of peanut butter so important, as it slows down the growth of aflatoxins. As you might imagine, all peanut butters must be tested for aflatoxins.
https://robynobrien.com/food-allergies-the-hidden-truth-about-peanuts/
The National Peanut Board does not seem to think there is much concern about Aflatoxin, but the Big Peanut lobby is powerful. ;)

5. Ray Peat says mushrooms need to be extremely well cooked. Hydrazine can be thought of as a mycotoxin or mycoprotein. Interestingly there are also immune modulating things in fungi like Beta-Glucan fiber, which is also present in Oats (contaminated with black mold commonly) and also BREAD YEAST.
Beta Glucan is commonly seen as pro-immune, but I don't think stimulating the immune system regularly is a good idea.
I'm assuming RP knows about the immunogenic properties of Fungi.

6. Quorn has been around for a few years and I am speculating that the reason it never took off like soy burgers/Beyond Meat/meat substitutes is that (besides not tasting like meat) it can be overtly allergenic (anaphylactic shock), unlike soy.
Interestingly, many claim that soy is a potent allergen, but it very-rarely induces anaphylactic shock unlike peanuts and mold toxin.

7. Allergy to yeast/fungi seems to be relatively common.
Supposedly the guy that invented (creates CO2 in baked goods without yeast fermentation) did it because his wife had a YEAST ALLERGY.
1843: Alfred Bird, a British chemist, makes the first version of baking powder to help out his wife, who was allergic to yeast.
A Brief History of Baking Soda

If someone was allergic to yeast in 1843 it's unlikely the cause of their allergy is caused by too much PUFA, GMO wheat and EMF radiation. :P

Basically, I would not consume Quorn until more testing is done.

Last edited:

Spokey

There's a massive push from industry at the moment selling veganism to the masses. Even Arnold Schwarzenegger has recently been shilling for the movement, in an incredible display of hypocrisy for a man that built a career and physique on a lot of meat (and arguably steroids). But I digress.

I will simply give my own personal account of my experience with Quorn. I used to be vegetarian, and bordered on veganism. I was rather uncomfortable with the idea of killing an animal to eat when I had vegetarian choices available. I knew very little about food then and even less about agriculture. Since now I'm aware of just how much collateral death happens in vegetable agriculture, I'm pretty much over any 'ethical' argument from the vegans but, back then I ate Quorn.

I liked the product that simulated chunks of chicken most, and lived off stirfries made with it. At first no problems, but I started having what can be described as sleep paralyses, particularly if I also drank coffee that evening. Years went by and my diet changed, I'd started eating meat again and was more wary of vegetable fats, so much so that my health had been improving (more energy, less headaches, better joint function). But if I had Quorn, same thing, that night horrible distorted sleep. And now there something else too, an intense feeling of pressure in my forehead. I can't account for why, it's really strange, every time I've tried the stuff since I get this numbing pressure in my head and around my sinuses. There is simply nothing else I know of that does this. So even if Quorn was in some way advantageous, count me out. I'm no longer going near any of it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals